• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

WS 420BT Equalizer

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have 4 JL M770 speakers, 1 JL M10ib5, 1 JL M8ib5, 2 Wet Sounds Rev-8's, 1 JL M8/800, & 1 JL M4/400. Do I add the WS Eq or not? It sounds great as it is but will this make a big difference? I saw some people in this group have the EQ so I'm looking for some feedback

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have 4 JL M770 speakers, 1 JL M10ib5, 1 JL M8ib5, 2 Wet Sounds Rev-8's, 1 JL M8/800, & 1 JL M4/400. Do I add the WS Eq or not? It sounds great as it is but will this make a big difference? I saw some people in this group have the EQ so I'm looking for some feedback
I love mine... allows me to manage my zones + dial in EQ by zone (of course, you know that). BTW works great, sounds great. Clean, clear sound. Also, helped me tune my amps. Also, I use the talk back mic to talk to tubers more than I expected. There are cheaper alternatives, of course... but the WS 420BT also looks badass.

Spendy, but worth it for me and my application.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I love mine... allows me to manage my zones + dial in EQ by zone (of course, you know that). BTW works great, sounds great. Clean, clear sound. Also, helped me tune my amps. Also, I use the talk back mic to talk to tubers more than I expected. There are cheaper alternatives, of course... but the WS 420BT also looks badass.

Spendy, but worth it for me and my application.
Hmm maybe I'll have to do it. I know it's a more expensive one but I don't think I'd shy away from Wetsounds for it though. I would like it in the drivers seat area but might only have room for the passenger seat area. I gotta put it in the drivers seat somewhere

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
It's not worth doing unless you place it on the drivers side.
You might consider the non-BT Wetsounds EQ with the JL Audio BT receiver.
Besides all of the other Wetsounds EQ benefits, especially two separate EQs, you could really use the upgrade in line voltage.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree with @David Analog . I already have a Bluetooth receiver so I just got the regularWS420 and I love it!! Made a huge improvement in sound and I actually have my boat split into 4 zones with independent volume control.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Bought one last night. In my previous SX230 I put in a switch panel to turn off and on each zone as needed. I was planning the same for this boat, but decided to go with the WS 420 SQ (HU already has BT) this time for 2 main reasons:
1. Line voltage increase
2. I want 4 zones and having the EQ take just 2 channels (1 pigtail off the HU) and feed that to 3 zones allows me to use the other 2 channels (other pigtail from the HU) to feed directly to the 4th zone. In this set up I will not need any RCA cable splitters. The less connections, the better.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you guys. Chances are I'm going to get it. My dealer wants to put it on the left side right under the silver hatch. I want to put it on the drivers side. My guess would be under the steering wheel, it'll probably face down a little bit shouldn't be an issue IMO. Whatya think.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is there a real benefit in sound quality, or is this really just to zone your system?

How does the BT sound quality compare to the aux input on my deck? Is there a compromise in clarity for the convenience of BT?

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is there a real benefit in sound quality, or is this really just to zone your system?

How does the BT sound quality compare to the aux input on my deck? Is there a compromise in clarity for the convenience of BT?
Sound quality will benefit from the high voltage being sent to the amps. That will give you 2 benefits: 1. you will not have to push the amps as hard and 2. the amps will have more power to amplify therefore you stereo will play louder and sound better at higher levels.

Also, the 420 really has 2 amps integrated which allows you to adjust your cabin speakers and your tower speakers separately. You can craft to sound more precisely to your liking.

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I appreciate the information, thank you. I have been on the fence with this product. I am currently using line level knobs for zone control, and it is working very well. I don't want to spend the money if all I get is fancier zone control, but an increase in sound quality is always a plus. I would also like to have BT without replacing my head unit.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's not worth doing unless you place it on the drivers side.
You might consider the non-BT Wetsounds EQ with the JL Audio BT receiver.
Besides all of the other Wetsounds EQ benefits, especially two separate EQs, you could really use the upgrade in line voltage.
Totally agree - whoever manages the tunes should have this within reach. One of the very big benefits is ability to quickly & accurately tweak as the listening environment changes.

Photo of my install:

WS420BT.jpg

Original posting:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/the-official-what-did-you-do-to-your-jet-boat-today-thread.2661/page-20 (my posting was June 7, 2015, may have to scroll down for it)

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Totally agree - whoever manages the tunes should have this within reach. One of the very big benefits is ability to quickly & accurately tweak as the listening environment changes.

Photo of my install:

View attachment 34993

Original posting:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/the-official-what-did-you-do-to-your-jet-boat-today-thread.2661/page-20 (my posting was June 7, 2015, may have to scroll down for it)
That's exactly how I want mine installed under the steering wheel

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's exactly how I want mine installed under the steering wheel
Note I went with the billet mount... again, spendy... again, I liked the look... this one is more difficult to justify, other than I WANTED IT.
I bought this with my package buy from Odin, it was the first one he received - it may have been the original prototype.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I really am glad I went with a 420. I have the non BT version. I know there are other great vendor choices that have been good to the forum members here, but I can't say enough good things about Mike's Liquid Audio if you need a authorized Wet Sounds supplier: http://www.mikesliquidaudio.com/ . Mike gave me a ton of good advice/step-by-step instructions on how to wire mine up and avoid a noise issue that my boat is know for. Who ever you buy from, buy from an authorized dealer (not an ebay reseller) or you are screwed on warranty issues. (not that I've had one, knock on wood).

Even with a full Wet Sounds system and Rev 10's on the tower, it was a noticeable sound difference with the 420. Really livened up the audio, especially the bass, and I love the adjust-ability. I will say the mic is pretty much useless for me, my voice is too deep and I sound like Charlie Brown's teacher on the tower speakers when I try to use it.

When somebody else is driving your boat, you have to teach them not to turn down the head unit and the EQ separately. They inevitably forget they turned down the head unit, but that is with any added EQ.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PS - I don't think the 420 is water proof, keep that in mind when choosing mounting locations. I installed mine below the dash but without the mounting box. Lots of awesome installs if you search the web. I agree with others it needs to be on the driver side or its kinda worthless.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
PS - I don't think the 420 is water proof, keep that in mind when choosing mounting locations. I installed mine below the dash but without the mounting box. Lots of awesome installs if you search the web. I agree with others it needs to be on the driver side or its kinda worthless.
Yes, good point on the lack of full waterproofing. One of the other reasons I went with the billet mount. I was able to seal the front and sides of the billet to the underside of the dash with some dark grey silicone caulk that matched my underdash almost perfectly. Water streaming down the dash into the EQ was the main water entry route that concerned me. One full season in and zero problems, very happy with performance.

Note: Photo above does not show the caulking... I will get another photo with the caulking and edit this post for future reference when I wake her up from her long winter's nap... but that is still a few weeks away.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
I really am glad I went with a 420. I have the non BT version. I know there are other great vendor choices that have been good to the forum members here, but I can't say enough good things about Mike's Liquid Audio if you need a authorized Wet Sounds supplier: http://www.mikesliquidaudio.com/ . Mike gave me a ton of good advice/step-by-step instructions on how to wire mine up and avoid a noise issue that my boat is know for. Who ever you buy from, buy from an authorized dealer (not an ebay reseller) or you are screwed on warranty issues. (not that I've had one, knock on wood).

Even with a full Wet Sounds system and Rev 10's on the tower, it was a noticeable sound difference with the 420. Really livened up the audio, especially the bass, and I love the adjust-ability. I will say the mic is pretty much useless for me, my voice is too deep and I sound like Charlie Brown's teacher on the tower speakers when I try to use it.

When somebody else is driving your boat, you have to teach them not to turn down the head unit and the EQ separately. They inevitably forget they turned down the head unit, but that is with any added EQ.
Mike is a great guy. Mike is also a Wetsounds dealer in his territory. However, Mike is not authorized as an "on-line" Wetsounds dealer and is not authorized per his dealer agreement to ship Wetsounds product. Mike will be the first one to tell you the same. But if you live near Mike, or need installation, I also recommend him.

Reactions: 007

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Quote, "Sound quality will benefit from the high voltage being sent to the amps. That will give you 2 benefits: 1. you will not have to push the amps as hard and 2. the amps will have more power to amplify therefore you stereo will play louder and sound better at higher levels."
The above is not exactly accurate. With a higher voltage line driver before the amplifier, such as an EQ, the amplifier will labor/work the same amount, the amplifier will have the same power, and the amplifier will play at the same output level.
The EQ/line driver can have a large positive impact on the final sound, but not as described.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
20150322_135618.jpg

I have mine mounted under the helm without the box. No issues after one year, and no worries either. I am usually not out in bad weather and the boat stays in a covered shelter.