• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 195s 2020 + performance

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So wanted a place to discuss performance and performance enhancements for the 195s. Power, maneuverability

So far all stock- I can average about 45-47 loaded down, and reached a top of 50 with just me and the wakeboards (not on glass).

anyone have some proven modifications they have used?

Attachments

scubasteve87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Look up some of the threads with engine performance mods in this sub forum for all the 195 generation boats (same SVHO engine dating back to 2017, same hull as yours dating back to 2019).

In general, most people with limited weight, ideal conditions will get top speed around 50 MPH give or take 1-2 MPH at around 7500-7800 RPMs (elevation, temperature, etc)

Most of the mods people have gone with you can research are the Lucky 13 cone spacers, air filters, ribbon deletes and even some ECU tuning. I believe the highest MPH I have seen with the 19FT hulls on this forum is 62-63 MPH.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
With the SVHO engines, the biggest improvement probably comes from breathing - performance filters helps. My boat has N/A engines and filters and ribbon delete is supposed to help. I plan to change the filters down the road after warranty period for easier breathing and perhaps add a third air intake hole, but at 52mph without trying I'm happy to leave the ribbons in there. I think in some 11 weekends and 1 full week of vacation used almost daily, I've gone WOT for high speed passes 4 times. 99% of the time we're cruising or waking or toodleing around. WOT is fun, but meh...I much prefer the punch of going WOT from cruising or idle speeds and watching the faces on other boaters as they gasp in awe when we leap out of the water and blow by the Baja and Fountain boats. LOL.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Look up some of the threads with engine performance mods in this sub forum for all the 195 generation boats (same SVHO engine dating back to 2017, same hull as yours dating back to 2019).

In general, most people with limited weight, ideal conditions will get top speed around 50 MPH give or take 1-2 MPH at around 7500-7800 RPMs (elevation, temperature, etc)

Most of the mods people have gone with you can research are the Lucky 13 cone spacers, air filters, ribbon deletes and even some ECU tuning. I believe the highest MPH I have seen with the 19FT hulls on this forum is 62-63 MPH.
Thanks @scubasteve87 , also looking for manuv

thanks for the input. 62-63 is pretty impressive

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
With the SVHO engines, the biggest improvement probably comes from breathing - performance filters helps. My boat has N/A engines and filters and ribbon delete is supposed to help. I plan to change the filters down the road after warranty perid for easier breathing and perhaps add a third air intake hole, but at 52mph without trying I'm happy to leave the ribbons in there. I think in some 11 weekends and 1 full week of vacation used almost daily, I've gone WOT for high speed passes 4 times. 99% of the time we're cruising or waking or toodleing around. WOT is fun, but meh...I much prefer the punch of going WOT from cruising or idle speeds and watching the faces on other boaters as they gasp in awe when we leap out of the water and blow by the Baja and Fountain boats. LOL.
So to this point what mods have you made to get the extra kick? You have the 212 twin engine svo correct?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So to this point what mods have you made to get the extra kick? You have the 212 twin engine svo correct?
Actually my 212s has twin 1.8L naturally aspirated engines, not the supercharged versions. So far it's all stock until after warranty period, then I'll change the intake filters and look at getting more air into the compartment. Sounds like they changed the ribbons so I won't bother with removing them. Don't really need any more speed or power...she's already a rocket.
:D

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Biggest difference will be the lucky13 mod. Top speed won’t change but hole shot will. Of course fins for slow speed maneuvering also.

Other things like ribbon delete, filter and others make a difference but not huge, I did all of them. Also BOV helps for longevity on your supercharger clutch. My max speed isaround 51-52.

ECU flash probably will yield the biggest gains but be careful with that one...

You can see all the mods I have done here:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/my-2018-ar195-mods.27625/

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Biggest difference will be the lucky13 mod. Top speed won’t change but hole shot will. Of course fins for slow speed maneuvering also.

Other things like ribbon delete, filter and others make a difference but not huge, I did all of them. Also BOV helps for longevity on your supercharger clutch. My max speed isaround 51-52.

ECU flash probably will yield the biggest gains but be careful with that one...

You can see all the mods I have done here:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/my-2018-ar195-mods.27625/
THanks for the link VERY informative. So guessing i should wait until out of warranty before modifying?

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just want to jump in here with a minor safety counterpoint about chasing speed on these hulls. I've had my stock 2019 up to 50 a few times and it was generally stable but approaching my personal comfort level with maintaining control on anything except glass water. Random waves made the hull bounce around more than I liked. The guy in the above linked post who got to 62 mentioned that he felt it was the safe limit of the hull without chine walk. I think he also had some part failures at those higher speeds.

Not trying to be a damper here since this is an enthusiast site - but advising to keep safety in mind!

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@gallobg absolutely safety is key. :thumbsup: I hadn’t heard the term chine walk before so I looked it up. Chine Walk Tech

interesting stuff - I wonder if jet boat intakes increase the threshold speed by adding some amount of downforce for the hull

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I brought up chine walk in that speed post, but I think its something else. The waverunners suffer from "overstuffing" the pump. It has caused serious injuries to some of the ski guys. Not sure if it would be as drastic in a boat, but it might have been what I felt that day.

Regardless of what it was, these hulls don't handle rough water good enough to push much past 60mph safely. I do feel like the boat is solid, handles the speed well and has potential for higher speeds. If you are searching for speed and safety is a concern I would say 60mph is safe, fun and can be reliable. My boat is pushing 150 hours with the current mods with no failures.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I brought up chine walk in that speed post, but I think its something else. The waverunners suffer from "overstuffing" the pump. It has caused serious injuries to some of the ski guys. Not sure if it would be as drastic in a boat, but it might have been what I felt that day.

Regardless of what it was, these hulls don't handle rough water good enough to push much past 60mph safely. I do feel like the boat is solid, handles the speed well and has potential for higher speeds. If you are searching for speed and safety is a concern I would say 60mph is safe, fun and can be reliable. My boat is pushing 150 hours with the current mods with no failures.
At stock speed capability - my wife is thrilled with the way this 19footer handles the chop compared to her old Tahoe.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
At stock speed capability - my wife is thrilled with the way this 19footer handles the chop compared to her old Tahoe.
We came from an older boat with an 8 degree deadrise, probably not far off your Tahoe. 18-20 degrees is like going to a Lincoln Towncar from a Corvette, so much smoother and stable. At slower cruising speeds, we find the centerline keel pulls the boat back and forth a bit while crossing wakes, it tracks well but the following sea wakes will push/pull at the keel line a lot. But get the speed up a bit, say 30+ which is much faster than the wake, and she slices through rather cleanly. Big cruisers used to be a big problem for our old boat as it had lots of hull packing over waves, and rolled a lot in the waves. Only way to go through safely was to slow right down, bow up, and go through at right angles. Riding in another boat with a decent deadrise was a shock as to how well they handle the chop and wakes. Now we just bow up and let her slice through if it's a huge wake, or power up and glide over the top. Huge difference.

This was a big selling point for us and is partly why we wanted a new boat...the ride is so much better. Now she doesn't scream when crossing wakes!
:D

marksAR190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With the SVHO engines, the biggest improvement probably comes from breathing - performance filters helps. My boat has N/A engines and filters and ribbon delete is supposed to help. I plan to change the filters down the road after warranty period for easier breathing and perhaps add a third air intake hole, but at 52mph without trying I'm happy to leave the ribbons in there. I think in some 11 weekends and 1 full week of vacation used almost daily, I've gone WOT for high speed passes 4 times. 99% of the time we're cruising or waking or toodleing around. WOT is fun, but meh...I much prefer the punch of going WOT from cruising or idle speeds and watching the faces on other boaters as they gasp in awe when we leap out of the water and blow by the Baja and Fountain boats. LOL.
Im new to this engine..the 1.8 without the turbo. What kind of filter change(manufacturer) is a better choice...thanks.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Im new to this engine..the 1.8 without the turbo. What kind of filter change(manufacturer) is a better choice...thanks.
:Welcome:
There's a thread around here with performance mods, but essentially you just want a large K&N filter like the kind they make for motorcycles. Much less restrictive air flow - without a supercharger you just want smooth "straight" air flow so the engines can breathe easily. This is a project for next summer.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length

50 to 62-63 is a big increase. Will have to check out the sub-forum.

scubasteve87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
50 to 62-63 is a big increase. Will have to check out the sub-forum.
I don't recall the member who achieved the 60+ on the hill but put a lot of work into it. Pitching the impellers, reflashing the ECU and a variety of other performance parts.

Honestly the items that make the biggest difference is weight distribution and the lucky cone mod. That mod can provide a better launch at the sacrifice of a little on the top end. But from my understanding it can seriously help with cavitation at launch.

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I hit 52.9 mph ! by accident and out of my comfort level. 2021 FSH CC Sport supercharged. Only mod is the Cobra Jet Steering kit.
Boat, equipment, and by myself and maintain speeds between 30 - 47 mph.
Now my GPS Speed app on cell phone registers 4 mph faster than dash speed.
I purchased this boat because I didn’t want a pontoon boat and at 63 years old i opt’d out of a speed boat plus it’s my first first boat (besides my history of radio controlled offshore and speed boats).

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Bumping to top since there has been some recent performance discussion