• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 2019 AR210 - Water coming up through storage locker drain plug

jjblough

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Water is coming up through the drain plug in storage locker when sitting. Anyone else experience this? If so, what was the cause and fix? FYI: All plugs are secured during operation.

Thanks!

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Water in your bilge. The center of your boat is it's lowest point. The water won't pump out until you're in motion with the bow up, so the bilgewater flows to the stern. All your plugs should be in when the boat is in the water, not just during operation.

jjblough

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Thanks, I keep the plugs in 100% when in the water moving or sitting. Issue is, the water is pushing up seeping through the drain plug when it's closed. When I opened it to reseat the plug, water gushes up through the opening. Also, shouldn't the bilge pump water out when moving bow up? We went about 15 minutes straight before we anchored off to sit.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like something is amiss somewhere. Gushing up doesn't sound right out of the storage locker. I have left mine out to check it out and all day nothing came through. I leave mine in now as recommended, when I check them everything is dry. Bilge doesn't come on.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check your hull and your engine compartment and rear bilge area. The hull for holes and the engine compartment and bilge for any water (like from a hose that came off). That much water means you have either a leak in a cooling line (or one is off) or a major hole somewhere.

You did have the bilge plug in, right?

Was the water rushing up warm or cold?

jjblough

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
It's being looked at tomorrow...hopefully. The engine compartment is bone dry. I am trying to find a schematic for the storage locker drain line to understand internal design. I am concerned with where the water is coming from.

jjblough

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Check your hull and your engine compartment and rear bilge area. The hull for holes and the engine compartment and bilge for any water (like from a hose that came off). That much water means you have either a leak in a cooling line (or one is off) or a major hole somewhere.

You did have the bilge plug in, right?

Was the water rushing up warm or cold?
Yes, all plugs were in. The water was the temp of the lake water. The engine compartment was bone dry.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe it is coming in from the anchor locker hole? Then building up if there is a blockage which would create water pressure. Just a thought, and a shot in the dark.

No gaping holes in bottom of boat?

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If your bilge isn’t pumping anything out, I might be inclined not to leave it in the water. Maybe check your pump too.(?)

jjblough

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
If your bilge isn’t pumping anything out, I might be inclined not to leave it in the water. Maybe check your pump too.(?)
I pulled it out of the water right away. I have it in service now, hopefully will have an answer tomorrow. Frustrating.

jjblough

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Maybe it is coming in from the anchor locker hole? Then building up if there is a blockage which would create water pressure. Just a thought, and a shot in the dark.

No gaping holes in bottom of boat?
There is a ton of production fiberglass shavings that I find all the time. Maybe. Fingers crossed it's not a major issue.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't be frustrated. You have a boat and something you need to resolve. Far better than not owning a boat and nothing to resolve, imho.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is no line that goes to the other side of that plug in the ski locker. That opens to the space between the 2 hulls. That is why I asked also about the bilge area in the back (below the cleanout ports). A lot of water can accumulate there between the 2 hulls before it fills and then gets up into the engine compartment (which is above the 2nd hull). So you may see water in the very aft of the boat which has not made it up to the level of engines. That may still be higher than the ski locker, so when you pull that ski locker plug, water will come up...

The fact that the water was not warm means it is probably not a cooling line (when there is water by the engine or below, we always ask the temp, as it tells from where the water is coming--engine or outside). That means a leak from the outside is most likely.

Will be curious to see what they find.

jsg73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just an aside... I would expect the bilge to kick on with this much water in the hull but that is not happening?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
(the stock bilge pump is set in the engine bay, which is set in the 2nd hull. you can actually have a mess load of water in between the hulls before the bottom hull fills enough to get water up into the entrance to the engine compartment on most of our boats.)

jjblough

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
So my dealer and Yamaha believe the water is coming in from the anchor locker drain. They believe water was filling the anchor locker enough (I don't buy it, never more than a little water in there at anytime). The fix was to install a stainless diverter over (that's what I am calling it, sorry) over the drain port to not allow the water to enter the locker. The dealer actually flooded the all hulls (boat on trailer) to find any possible leaks. No leaks. I am using the boat daily for the next four days and will monitor. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could be the anchor locker drain, but that is an awful lot of water from that source to fill the hull enough to have water coming up into the ski locker. Be very careful when you take that out.

In favor of the dealer, tho, filling the boat like they did is the right first diagnostic...

cwporter323

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could be the anchor locker drain, but that is an awful lot of water from that source to fill the hull enough to have water coming up into the ski locker. Be very careful when you take that out.

In favor of the dealer, tho, filling the boat like they did is the right first diagnostic...
I just bought a 2021 AR210 and have noticed water in the anchor locker. I was told the drain is always supposed to be open. Was your issue resolved ?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So my dealer and Yamaha believe the water is coming in from the anchor locker drain. They believe water was filling the anchor locker enough (I don't buy it, never more than a little water in there at anytime). The fix was to install a stainless diverter over (that's what I am calling it, sorry) over the drain port to not allow the water to enter the locker. The dealer actually flooded the all hulls (boat on trailer) to find any possible leaks. No leaks. I am using the boat daily for the next four days and will monitor. Fingers crossed.
Can you take a picture of the outside and inside of the anchor locker drain with this diverter installed ? I would like to see it.

Also the morons at Yamaha are sad. It has been documented here many times and resolved what it is, it is the fact that their anchor locker drain is a POS and doesn't go through all the way. Not hard to see that.