• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 212 Limited S not starting.

RonnieWPB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a Yamaha 212 Limited S that is not starting.
i have never loosen up the battery cables since I bought it brand new
I don’t hear any clicks
The radio or panel doesn’t come on
Blower doesn’t come on
I’m assuming it is because of the battery because I used a volt meter, put it on DC Mode and 20 Volts and the batteries reading where like 1.5 volts..
that said I bought a NOCO GB70 battery starter and connected it to the battery ports
And it did not work.
i would expect that even if the batteries were dead, the battery starter would help get the engine start.
i took the kill switch out and put it back in just in case
I ensure the throttle was on neutro
What am I missing ?
would lack of gas prevent the at least the panel by the steering from turning on ?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds Like the Batteries. I would put a full charge on the with a charger first. Then if you still have problems it is easier to start to troubleshoot. Eliminate the easiest thing first. Shut the switch to off as well.

With that being said, are you sure your battery switch was on?

RonnieWPB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
First of all, Thank you for following up.
yes the battery switch was on.
it has 3 switches, I tried with only one on (starter), then with 2 switches on (starter and battery) and lastly with all 3 switches on.
I also tried with all switches off and nothing.
i agree with you. I’m going to buy a battery charger, charge the batteries and then try again.
im planning to buy this one right now.
i also just put some gas on it (like 3 gallons)
Thinking it could be out of gas... but it did not start.
what I still do not understand is why the expensive NOCO GB70 did not help to start the engines or at least one engine, their support guy told me that these starters are to send power to the engines and that it should have start even if the battery was dead.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
if its reading 1.5volts, you should get a new battery it was drained to much to regain charge

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

RonnieWPB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I purchased the NOCO GB70 which it is a bit bigger with more juice than the GB40 and it didn’t work, it didn’t help me start my boat.

what I don’t understand, if it is an issue related to a dead battery, shouldn’t the jump start with the NOCO GB70 allow the engines to turn on ?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
what I don’t understand, if it is an issue related to a dead battery, shouldn’t the jump start with the NOCO GB70 allow the engines to turn on ?
No the GB starters will not work if the battery voltage is too low - it's a safety feature. There is an over-ride option to ignore the low voltage safety, but you use it at your own risk - batteries that are toast, damaged, or frozen could explode if boosted, hence the safety feature. I too have the GB40 and can start V6 and V8 vehicle engines without issue.

If your batteries are reading 1.5v they are likely fully sulfated (toast) and probably can't be charged back up. You can try the NOCO Genius charger as they're smart and will attempt to recover the sulfated batteries. If it doesn't work, you can keep it to maintain your new batteries when you replace these. Note that you only need a single or dual bank charger for your dual battery model, unless you bought 2 extra batteries or plan to add them later?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have a Yamaha 212 Limited S that is not starting.
I’m assuming it is because of the battery because I used a volt meter, put it on DC Mode and 20 Volts and the batteries reading where like 1.5 volts..
Sounds like you parked it for the winter and didn't have a charger of any kind on the batteries? Lead-acid batteries require regular charging and maintaining or they will lose charge quickly, especially in cold weather. If you park a car for a few months in the winter, you typically can't start it for the same reason - the batteries need to be maintained or they will die.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How many batteries do you have? A four bank charger will need four batteries to connect to, to work correctly. 1.5vdc is way dead, toast. Did you measure at each battery? Very odd for 2 year old battery(s). Were the battery(s) left on a trickle charger for any length of time? Below is a battery state of charge chart.

20210320_063022.jpg

RonnieWPB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No the GB starters will not work if the battery voltage is too low - it's a safety feature. There is an over-ride option to ignore the low voltage safety, but you use it at your own risk - batteries that are toast, damaged, or frozen could explode if boosted, hence the safety feature. I too have the GB40 and can start V6 and V8 vehicle engines without issue.

If your batteries are reading 1.5v they are likely fully sulfated (toast) and probably can't be charged back up. You can try the NOCO Genius charger as they're smart and will attempt to recover the sulfated batteries. If it doesn't work, you can keep it to maintain your new batteries when you replace these. Note that you only need a single or dual bank charger for your dual battery model, unless you bought 2 extra batteries or plan to add them later?

The boat has two batteries (Interstate deep cycle SPM-24) so I bought the NOCO Genius 2x4 that has 4 banks and comes with 4 cables.
I might install another battery in the future if let’s say I put some lights on the boat, an amplifier... so the new overkilled NOCO might come handy then. :)
I will let you guys know if the NOCO 2x4 ends up fixing my batteries.
you are right, I left the switches on all winter and hopefully I did not damage the batteries to the point I would have to buy new ones.
if I have to buy new ones, what’s the best of the best brand out there and model that you recommend ?

RonnieWPB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How many batteries do you have? A four bank charger will need four batteries to connect to, to work correctly. 1.5vdc is way dead, toast. Did you measure at each battery? Very odd for 2 year old battery(s). Were the battery(s) left on a trickle charger for any length of time? Below is a battery state of charge chart.

View attachment 144765
The boat has two batteries (Interstate deep cycle SPM-24) so I bought the NOCO Genius 2x4 that has 4 banks and comes with 4 cables.
I might install another battery in the future if let’s say I put some lights on the boat, an amplifier... so the new overkilled NOCO might come handy then. :)
you are right, I left the switches on all winter and hopefully I did not damage the batteries to the point I would have to buy new ones.
if I have to buy new ones, what’s the best of the best brand out there and model that you recommend ?

RonnieWPB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

View attachment 144765
I left all switches for the batteries on all winter and that’s why the batteries are dead. :(
I measured each battery and they are both dead.
i will post a pic after I charge them.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I left all switches for the batteries on all winter and that’s why the batteries are dead. :(
That's not why they died - they died because they must be maintained when not used. Turning the switches off will not prevent the batteries from dying when not used. Lead-Acid batteries suffer from electron loss and will self-discharge about 3-5% per month if not topped up regularly.
I measured each battery and they are both dead.
i will post a pic after I charge them.
I recommend you take them out of the boat and charge them in a safe location. But at 1.5v I'm guessing they're not recoverable.

As mentioned, AGM are the best lead-acid batteries.

RonnieWPB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
All thank you for the follow up and recommendations.
I was able to recover the batteries and they are reading 12.9 volts, I went out on the boat and used the stereo for like 2 hours without running out of batteries.
i think I was lucky and the batteries are still good.
I will check their voltage next week to see if they are still holding up.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
i think I was lucky and the batteries are still good.
Lucky is right...usually once that flat, they sulfate badly and are unrecoverable. The Noco chargers have an automatic recover feature so maybe it did a good job of pulsing the batteries back to life. Good stuff.