• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Anode Dimensions - Anode Material Test

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I am researching what the best material for our jet boat's pump mounted anode could be. I have scrolled through many Yamaha diagrams, schematics and talked with Yamaha "experts". I need the help of you - my forum brothers to continue. My 2020 Yamaha SX195 is presently in my slip. I can not get at the pump-mounted anode to measure it as it's underwater and I want to talk with suppliers in the next couple of days. I think many if not all of the Yamaha anodes mounted on the jet pump housings may be the same dimensions. But - because I want to conduct a test using my SX195 I am asking any SX195 owner (preferably a 2020) whose boat is on a trailer to measure the anode on their jet pump. Could you please give me the "rectangular" measurement - for example 4"X6", the thickness - for example 1/2" and the on center placement of the holes in from each side and from top to bottom - for example on a 4"X6" anode the holes may be at 2" o/c width and 4" o/c length. ******The reason I am researching this: after much discussion with Yamaha and some big volume dealers there have been suggestions that the OEM anodes on our Yamahas "might" be "general purpose". One forum member was told they might be composites designed to work in different salinity water. MAYBE.....but I have never heard of this. The answer is very, very important for the longevity of the metal parts of our boats. Zinc is for salt water. Magnesium is for fresh water. Zinc will NOT protect in fresh water (it will passivate - more about that later). Magnesium would be consumed so fast in salt water that it would have to be checked constantly and would be too expensive to use. Here's where it gets tricky.....Aluminum anodes are meant for brackish water (salt/fresh mixture like tidal flats or where fresh water rivers meet the seas) BUT they will work (somewhat) in fresh or salt water. IF our jet boats are not shipped with a true composite - is in reality what is on our jet boats actually just Aluminum? If so, in my opinion, that is not good enough for my boat. Because while Aluminum would work in salt water (it would be consumed faster than Zinc and have to be watched more and cost more) Aluminum, in my opinion, could easily be harmful for use in fresh water because it is NOT sacrificial enough in fresh water and that means it could passivate which means a process occurs wherein it will cease to function as an anode. So, it is my intention to either add a second anode - a Magnesium one - by bolting it to the starboard side of the jet pump housing OR replace the factory anode with a Magnesium one. Why replace - because you can actually have TOO MUCH anode protection. If there is too much sacrificial anode material present it will not be consumed fast enough and will passivate. So my goal is to first get a proper sized Magnesium anode and then test install it. Based on what I observe I may leave the OEM anode on and keep the magnesium on too or remove the OEM anode and replace it with just the Magnesium one. Help on exact anode dimensions for 2020 SX195 would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: