• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha AR240 with BRP reverse gates

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IMG_1147.JPG IMG_1146.JPG I saw this boat for sale on FB Yamaha jet boat owners. 2015 Yamaha AR240 but that's definitely BRP reverse gates. Anyone know any info on this boat? Mainly just how they handled the gate work. Owner says they bought it like that.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting! Would like to see more pics of the setup

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think Barney's in St. Petersburg FL was selling those kits. Seems like it was over $1000 for the kit. Lateral Thrusters gives you the control but it's done intuitively as compared to the counter intuitive nature of the BRP buckets and for less than half the ask.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 74014 View attachment 74015 I saw this boat for sale on FB Yamaha jet boat owners. 2015 Yamaha AR240 but that's definitely BRP reverse gates. Anyone know any info on this boat? Mainly just how they handled the gate work. Owner says they bought it like that.
Just eliminating the inside openings would turn those into a winning system (from the counter-intuitive one, to @JetBoatPilot's good point). Hard to believe Yamaha has never adopted their ski technology into boats...
https://jetboaters.net/threads/video-test-results-cobra-jet-vs-jet-boat-pilot.16559/page-2#post-288812

EDIT: Also - @SamCF just came up with a fantastic system with a trim-able steering nozzle! For singles though, for now.
Post #732
https://jetboaters.net/threads/sx-192-mods.6550/page-37

--

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
My previous boat was a 98' Seadoo Challenger 1800. It turned with the direction of the wheel. When turned full lock, it would automatically throttle up for faster steering movement. Unbelievable control in Neutral and Reverse. I loved the boat, but the 2 strokes were a pain to get started.

Imagine my disappointment when I tried to maneuver around the dock my first time out with the Yamaha. Even with fins, the low speed steering is sloppy and Reverse is non existant.

The Yamaha is still the best 19' boat on the market and I love it!!!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I never understood why this has not already been done...

That said, I like the on plane and off-trust steering enhancements of Cobras most. While it would undoubtedly be super nice to have the amazing capabilities of the BRP or Yamaha iride steering in reverse, the simple fact is - I spend little time in reverse and learned to live with OEM sh..ty reverse. The new 2019+ pumps/nozzles are a huge step and it would be my choice if I ever upgrade. Not at the expense of ON PLANE steering though (both under and w/o power/thrust).

If I have had any hairy moments in my Yamaha JB, those were almost all related to under-steering at speed due to loss of thrust.

--