• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha boat tools you carry

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Is there any tool set that I can buy that would have most of the tools needed for Yamaha boat just to fix minor issues? What do you guys have on your boat? I have all the tools in my garage but I want to buy something that I can leave in the boat.

Made my own tool kit.

Harbor Freight has this ammo/tool box with tray and gasket.

This fits perfectly inside the toolbox on the bottom, and I have this set up with wrenches, adjustable pliers, sockets, ratcheted, some screw drivers, etc, that are sized to the bolts onboard. I believe, 8, 10, 12 & 14mm if I recall.

Also have some stainless wire ties and plastic ones and gorilla tape on board.

Initially I started with a generic mechanics set, but that case did not have a gasket and those tools rusted from the salt air. If you don’t boat in a salt environment, that might be the easier route to go...

Is there any tool set that I can buy that would have most of the tools needed for Yamaha boat just to fix minor issues? What do you guys have on your boat? I have all the tools in my garage but I want to buy something that I can leave in the boat.
I've been a mechanic my whole life, but I'm not packing Snap-On or Mac tools on my boat. I'm getting something like this, but smaller, and with screwdrivers etc.

Made my own tool kit.

Harbor Freight has this ammo/tool box with tray and gasket.

This fits perfectly inside the toolbox on the bottom, and I have this set up with wrenches, adjustable pliers, sockets, ratcheted, some screw drivers, etc, that are sized to the bolts onboard. I believe, 8, 10, 12 & 14mm if I recall.

Also have some stainless wire ties and plastic ones and gorilla tape on board.

Initially I started with a generic mechanics set, but that case did not have a gasket and those tools rusted from the salt air. If you don’t boat in a salt environment, that might be the easier route to go...
Thank you I will stop by harbor freight probably do the same thing and make my own set. I already have gorilla tape and set of stainless steel clamps with various sizes, in case I need it.

Thank you I will stop by harbor freight probably do the same thing and make my own set. I already have gorilla tape and set of stainless steel clamps with various sizes, in case I need it.
You just gave me an idea. I have this box on my boat.

Don't forget the Flex Seal......LOL

Couple of things that I have found handy to have in my kit. A long narrow filet knife for cutting ropes if need be. Some extra set screws and the larger wing screws that are used with my bimini top. Gorilla tape, spare fuses, a spare clevis for the anchor chain, a set of metric gear wrenches, Allen wrenches. I also carry the sockets, extension and breaker bar to pull a pump if need be.

Couple of things that I have found handy to have in my kit. A long narrow filet knife for cutting ropes if need be. Some extra set screws and the larger wing screws that are used with my bimini top. Gorilla tape, spare fuses, a spare clevis for the anchor chain, a set of metric gear wrenches, Allen wrenches. I also carry the sockets, extension and breaker bar to pull a pump if need be.
I already have extra fuses the boat dealer gave me but you did make my list a little longer lol

I keep some vice grips for clamping the water cooling hose(s) if I ever need to get towed or run on one engine. I also added long reach needle nose pliers and a razor blade knife with both straight and hooked blades for clearing any clogs in the impellers. We have had a few hams from small twigs that were challenging to remove on the water. I keep some wire and crimps too. Those all stay on the boat. When I go on vacation with the boat I generally keep a bag of more tools and backup items in my truck.

I keep some vice grips for clamping the water cooling hose(s) if I ever need to get towed or run on one engine. I also added long reach needle nose pliers and a razor blade knife with both straight and hooked blades for clearing any clogs in the impellers. We have had a few hams from small twigs that were challenging to remove on the water. I keep some wire and crimps too. Those all stay on the boat. When I go on vacation with the boat I generally keep a bag of more tools and backup items in my truck.
Thanks, adding hook blade and vice grips to my list

I already have extra fuses the boat dealer gave me but you did make my list a little longer lol

Here's what my tool kit will have: Heat shrink butt connectors, crimpers, strippers, hose pinch pliers, mini-torch, stainless steel clamps, zip-ties, fuses, side cutters, metric/std wrenches and sockets, screwdrivers, allen wrenches, 1/4" Milwaukee ratchet, bit assortment, small channel locks, rechargeable mechanics lamp, DVOM, stainless nuts, machine bolts, screws, and washers, extra drain plugs, spark plus, absorbent pad, rags, funnel, electrical tape, GORILLA TAPE, Flex-Seal, small bike pump, extra hose, P-clamps, mechanics wire, small hammer, small crescent wrench, battery jumper, multi-tool with bottle opener.
Chemicals: Fuel stabilizer, Oil, Yamalube Silicone lubricant, Yamashield, Cleaning products.
In the Truck: Extra tie downs, hitch pin, surge brake lockout with c-clamp, trailer lock, tire plug kit, air compressor, floor jack, 1/2 milwaukee impact with sockets, tire pressure gauge, etc.

I know this sound like a lot, but there will even be more. I like to be prepared, even though my boat is brand new. All this stuff will fit in my Plano box. (I hope). PLEASE ADD YOUR IDEAS OR COMMENTS!

I upgraded my boat by 44 years and have an extra engine so I don’t have to worry about tools on the water!

If you do put together a kit note that there are mostly metric but some SAE nuts & allen screws on the boat. The only time I’ve needed a tool I only had metric.

Here's what my tool kit will have: Heat shrink butt connectors, crimpers, strippers, hose pinch pliers, mini-torch, stainless steel clamps, zip-ties, fuses, side cutters, metric/std wrenches and sockets, screwdrivers, allen wrenches, 1/4" Milwaukee ratchet, bit assortment, small channel locks, rechargeable mechanics lamp, DVOM, stainless nuts, machine bolts, screws, and washers, extra drain plugs, spark plus, absorbent pad, rags, funnel, electrical tape, GORILLA TAPE, Flex-Seal, small bike pump, extra hose, P-clamps, mechanics wire, small hammer, small crescent wrench, battery jumper, multi-tool with bottle opener.
Chemicals: Fuel stabilizer, Oil, Yamalube Silicone lubricant, Yamashield, Cleaning products.
In the Truck: Extra tie downs, hitch pin, surge brake lockout with c-clamp, trailer lock, tire plug kit, air compressor, floor jack, 1/2 milwaukee impact with sockets, tire pressure gauge, etc.

I know this sound like a lot, but there will even be more. I like to be prepared, even though my boat is brand new. All this stuff will fit in my Plano box. (I hope). PLEASE ADD YOUR IDEAS OR COMMENTS!
I have a new boat too I haven't even hit 10 hours lol but I will go offshore so whatever I can bring that will not make the boat too heavy I will take it. Good list you have!

I upgraded my boat by 44 years and have an extra engine so I don’t have to worry about tools on the water!

If you do put together a kit note that there are mostly metric but some SAE nuts & allen screws on the boat. The only time I’ve needed a tool I only had metric.
Good to know, thanks!

I, too, pack a full toolbox (got one of those basic orange ones from HD years ago--repurposed it to the boat). Supplemented it with 2 of the Harbor Freight boxes above to hold 'supplies' (less used parts). Screwdrivers, pliers set, hex keys, nut and bolt kit, dipped work gloves, crimp-on connectors, misc screws, nuts & bolts, nonskid tape, wire cutters, socket set (metric & SAE), wire, fuses, utility knife, flashlight, duct tape, (used to have flex seal stuff, but see prior post about expiry dates...), 4 old spark plugs, oil, rags, clamp-to-cig lighter converter, precision screwdrivers, ... and probably some other stuff I am forgetting.

I think about the only things I don't have there that I use semi-regularly are the heat gun, drill/driver and multimeter.

One of my objectives was to be prepared on the water. A bigger objective was that I am lazy and didn't want to lug tools up to the boat as much.

I have a full tool kit (sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, Allan keys) and plan to scale back only to the essentials this summer, plus a spark plug wrench.

(oh, that was *after* I scaled back this winter---cleaned out a lot of crap parts, duplicate tools, etc.)

Back