• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Connext upgrade

Would you pay an extra $xxx in order to have a chart plotter built into the Yamaha Connext system?

• Yes

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Connext? I better sell my boat and buy a Yamaha!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Would you pay an extra $xxx in order to have a chart plotter built into the Yamaha Connext system?

Feel free to post how much it would be worth to you and what manufacturer of sounder/plotter you would like to see partner up with Yamaha.

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it were the same price as some of the small chart plotters / sounders (~$500) then no I would not. If it were half that of lower then I would. If it were that same price I would buy the actual stand alone units for the added functionality.

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I use my plotter every time the boats on the water, since I boat in tidal waters. I like the ability to bring my Garmin into my office, plug in a USB cable and update the maps when needed.
With a built-in chart plotter, I would be concerned that it would be like a car's Nav system where you have to pay the dealer for map updates, etc.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If I had all the added benefit of updates without needing lube, and good chart data using either Garmins charts or navionics, that would be good. Yamaha deserves a profit and hardware costs are not what you pay for...it is the charts and bundling. For example, you can buy great inkjet printers all day long for $100. That tech is just as pricy as the hardware in a chart plotter. It is the research, the data, the liability, etc. I don't expect them to sell the ability to have a chart plotter for half of what it cost. What I would expect is a base amount, say $399, and get it displayed on the 7" touchscreen! No need for it to cost what a 7" touchscreen costs. But the proprietary nature that Yamaha has, needs to change, and have some of the cabling and ability to use other equipment with interface.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it were the same price as some of the small chart plotters / sounders (~$500) then no I would not. If it were half that of lower then I would. If it were that same price I would buy the actual stand alone units for the added functionality.
X2 we would expect a lower cost since we have the electronics already.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yamaha won the NMMA Innovation Award for their Connext helm control system at the Miami boat show.

FB_IMG_1424270711654.jpg

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Williamsone46 , it is innovative. And in recreational boats, outside of some very expensive wake boats, it is a first. But it implies it "connects" all the mechanical and electrical systems. At the show, I was asking about replacing the stereo head unit. The answer I got is that any other unit would not interface with the Connext. I hope that is wrong. Same with an EQ. Why not be able to control all the zones in your boat from the connext? Or a radar, your VHF, and as discussed here, the chart plotter? What is the word on this?