• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Yamaha corrosion warranty?

El Comandante

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Doing my pre purchase research between a Yamaha 210 and same sized Hurricane boat w a Yamaha 150hp outboard.
While at the Hurricane dealer today the salesman said he sold Yamaha boats for 5 years that they don’t offer any warranty period against corrosion from salt water.
Yamaha outboard however offers one of the best if not the best salt water corrosion warranty.

Is this true? I can’t find any info on their website (Yamaha boats).

I will trailer the boat or dry rack it. Will flush but I am in salt and this is important to me in my purchase decision.

Do these water passages throughout the engine have issues w corrosion?

Does anyone know if there is a corrosion warranty?

Thank you.

I and many others use their boats in salt water without any problems; it is the same engine as the jet ski. You do need to flush the engine after every salt water use, and I and many of us flush with an anti-salt solution (Salt Away, Salt Off and etc.).

Some even wet slip in salt water (search for the thread within the last two weeks).

My boat came with a 3 year bow to stern warranty from Yamaha, but I do not know of a specific corrosion warranty. I am not sure how it would work, since corrosion is generally the result of neglect (not flushing/washing).

Doing my pre purchase research between a Yamaha 210 and same sized Hurricane boat w a Yamaha 150hp outboard.
While at the Hurricane dealer today the salesman said he sold Yamaha boats for 5 years that they don’t offer any warranty period against corrosion from salt water.
Yamaha outboard however offers one of the best if not the best salt water corrosion warranty.

Is this true? I can’t find any info on their website (Yamaha boats).

I will trailer the boat or dry rack it. Will flush but I am in salt and this is important to me in my purchase decision.

Do these water passages throughout the engine have issues w corrosion?

Does anyone know if there is a corrosion warranty?

Thank you.
@El Comandante .....follow your manual for salt water use or do as @Elliott says flush after every use and use "salt-away" etc. and you will be fine. Yamaha outboard motors, Yamaha jet skis and Yamaha jet boats are number one worldwide in each category for rental use - for one reason - they last in salt water. Follow advice and have no fear!

I only boat in salt water, our typical hang out spot has hundreds of boats anchored up every day, I would say Yamaha is probably the most popular brand out there any given day. So I would guess they do well if you take care of them.
After using mine at least once a week since I bought it a few months ago I haven’t found any signs of corrosion. Hose everything down real good after every use, flush the engines with a salt remover, keep a eye on your anodes, and I spray the shit out of anything metal that moves with silicone spray lube.

FWIW - this is what I do:
After I come back in, the boat is moved from the water to the wash rack by the forklift. I then spray down the interior (including the clean out port and plug) and hull with Salt Off (West Marine's version of Salt Away) using a garden mixer on the end of the hose. I do not think the maximum mix rate is equal to the mix rate in the flushing unit, but it is enough to remove the salt from the interior and exterior. After I spray it down, I flush the engine with Salt Off for about 5 minutes. During the engine flush, the Salt Off solution is working on the interior and exterior of the boat. During the engine flush, I usually but not always get a weak stream out of the pisser. I am flushing the engine within 15 minutes of coming out of the water, so it is still hot.

After I finish flushing the engine, I wash the boat with a good quality wax and wax soap (Griot's or Meguiars) using a soft blue bush on a handle. I then rinse and dry the boat; I dry it with a few microfiber towels (inside and out not including the non-skid floors).

I do not use the Yamaha silicone spray. Instead, I use Corrosion-X on the engine and electrical components in the engine bay, the electrical connections behind the curtain inside the console and all hose clamps. I spray all of these down each year - just once a year. When I had my annual service in April, the Yamaha Tech told my salesman that my engine was the best looking 2.5+ year old engine he has seen.

If I see any hint of rust on any of the hardware (for example a screw head), I spray it with The Must For Rust. I just leave it. It removes any rust and leaves a protective coating.

I polish and wax the boat's hull once a year with Griot's One Step (a synthetic paint sealant and polish all in one). I pick a day that has little activity at the marina, so I can keep it on one of the 15 wash racks for as long as I need. I apply the Griot's with a random orbital buffer using a medium cut pad (to remove the old wax, water spots and any minor blemishes). I wax the interior surfaces (not including the non-skid) by hand with Griot's Poly Wax (synthetic paint sealant). I clean and protect the vinyl 4 times a year, and I use Non-skid wax on the non-skid twice a year (warning - it does make it a little slippery for a week or two). I also use metal polish on the rub rail, wheel and etc. once a year. Finally, I polish and wax the windshield every year.
The boat looks new.

The Griot's lasts for a year without refreshes or detailer. The boat is stored in a partially roofed open rack.

FSH 190 wax after 1 year.jpg

This is after one year.

FSH 190 after polish wax.jpg

This is just polished/waxed.

Thank you all.

The reason I asked is coming from outboards specifically Yamaha outboards during years 2002-2006 the F200,F225, F250 suffered from a known common ailment of premature failure in the dry exhaust section of the powerhead that could also involve the oil pan (4-strokes). This is a very expensive repair required on many of sold. Yamaha did not cover it.

Conversely, Suzuki does offer an excellent warranty against corrosion so I wondered if Yamaha currently offers the same on their jet engines.

Here is the Zuke warranty. You can scroll down to see the terms of their corrosion warranty. I could not find any language on this in the Yamaha warranty.

Last edited:
The thing about warranties is that they sound good, but a better warranty may not be the best deal. I would rather have a lesser warranty on a better product than a better warranty on a lesser product. I did notice, that like all warranties, Suzuki has many exclusions related to operation and care; corrosion is primarily a result of neglect. I would not worry about a problem Yamaha had for a few years with certain models about 15 years ago.

If it were me, I would choose my boat on other factors.

Kia has a better warranty than Toyota; I own a Toyota. :winkingthumbsup"

The thing about warranties is that they sound good, but a better warranty may not be the best deal. I would rather have a lesser warranty on a better product than a better warranty on a lesser product. I did notice, that like all warranties, Suzuki has many exclusions related to operation and care; corrosion is primarily a result of neglect. I would not worry about a problem Yamaha had for a few years with certain models about 15 years ago.

If it were me, I would choose my boat on other factors.

Kia has a better warranty than Toyota; I own a Toyota. :winkingthumbsup"

I have no idea about Hurricanes but I probably wouldn't put Yamaha as a better product.

I have no idea about Hurricanes but I probably wouldn't put Yamaha as a better product.
@adrianp89 .....hurricanes used to be made by the parent company of a boats I owned. IMO a Yamaha is a much better built boat than a Hurricane that is IMO a very entry level boat. :cool:

@adrianp89 .....hurricanes used to be made by the parent company of a boats I owned. IMO a Yamaha is a much better built boat than a Hurricane that is IMO a very entry level boat. :cool:

My Yamaha quality is comparable to a mid 2000s Kia or Chevy. Paired with a manufacturer that does not do the right thing for their customers, I am always hard pressed to truly recommend them. On the flip side, if you don't mind small stuff breaking/cracking and be in the majority with no issues - they do offer the a lot and direct competition is almost zero.

Well if I said anything about one product being better than another, it would have been Yamaha engines versus Suzuki engines. I have always heard good things about Suzuki engines, and I do not know anything about Hurricane boats.

My point was that a better warranty is much, much less important to selecting the right product than other factors. So I wrote: If it were me, I would choose my boat on other factors.

My point of using the Kia versus Toyota example is that based on warranty as a primary factor - you would choose Kia. Based on the totality of factors, I chose Toyota.

I think this argument is based on opinions not data. Some believe Kia is a better value and a manufacturer that stands behind their product.

Many warranties are worded similarly w many exceptions mainly because owners confuse a warranty covered failure w what would be an insurance covered event. Also warranties are usually aimed to cover manufacturers defects not wear and tear items.

I posted the Suzuki warranty as proof that a marine engine designed for salt use does indeed offer a corrosion warranty and wondered if Yamaha offered the same.

Apparently they do not.

My criteria if I’m going to drop $50g’s on a boat includes a manufacturer that stands behind their product and is confident in its quality. Just like picking a dealer w a reputable and honest service department. Where I live there are 4 Hurricane dealers within 50 miles. Yamaha has one and they don’t have very good reviews.

The features Yamaha offers are very attractive but are rendered meaningless if the boat is frequenting the dealer for repairs and the dealer often fails on its promises.

So yes, it makes perfect sense to select any product, especially a $50k product based highly on manufacturer Warranty.

IMHO.

BTW, Hurricane boats offer a transferable Lifetime Hull Warranty.

I am not sure how to reply to your last post. You say your local Hurricane dealers are great and the Yamaha dealer is poor - well that is an important issue. Of course, it has nothing to do with the terms of either manufacturers' warranty - which was my point.

You suppose that offering better warranty terms de facto means that: (1) the product will have fewer problems and (2) the manufacturer will fulfill the warranty terms. Neither is necessarily true.

I have had my Yamaha for 2.5+ years, and the only repair (of any type) was the compass was replaced under warranty (the fluid leaked out of it). My boat came with a 3 year YES / Bow to Stern warranty (part of the end of the season incentives). I guess Yamaha will offer to extend it in the near future. Depending on the price, I may or may not choose to extend it.

Yamaha, like Toyota in autos, is one of the dominant brands in the consumer marine industry. If Yamaha did not offer a quality product at a competitive price, they would not be in that position.

Good luck with your search and eventually your new boat.

I am not sure how to reply to your last post. You say your local Hurricane dealers are great and the Yamaha dealer is poor - well that is an important issue. Of course, it has nothing to do with the terms of either manufacturers' warranty - which was my point.

You suppose that offering better warranty terms de facto means that: (1) the product will have fewer problems and (2) the manufacturer will fulfill the warranty terms. Neither is necessarily true.

I have had my Yamaha for 2.5+ years, and the only repair (of any type) was the compass was replaced under warranty (the fluid leaked out of it). My boat came with a 3 year YES / Bow to Stern warranty (part of the end of the season incentives). I guess Yamaha will offer to extend it in the near future. Depending on the price, I may or may not choose to extend it.

Yamaha, like Toyota in autos, is one of the dominant brands in the consumer marine industry. If Yamaha did not offer a quality product at a competitive price, they would not be in that position.

Good luck with your search and eventually your new boat.

please reread my post. Never said any of that. Never used the word poor or great on my post. I made no suppositions. You seem to think I am criticizing Yamaha, Toyota, etc.

You may have missed my OP.
My point was to validate what a salesman who claimed he sold Yamaha boats for 5 years said regarding Yamaha not offering a corrosion warranty. I thought that was odd given other manufacturers did.

I posted here to find out and contrasted what I learned about another boat I like which offers a lifetime hull warranty.

Finally, I expressed what was important to me in my search. Not what I felt should be important to anyone one else.

I’m sure your boat is very nice.

A couple points need to be made here.

1. All metal placed in salt water corrodes no matter what name is printed on it. This feature comes standard on every boat and outboard.

2. No manufacturer will warranty a 14-18 year old outboard, Yamaha or otherwise.

3. Upon reading the linked warranty, the cooling system that was stated as an area of concern, is excluded from the “corrosion warranty”. The length of the exclusion list, along with the extensive terms and conditions is entertaining at best,

4. The linked “warranty” is only valid in Australia.

There are many ways to limit corrosion in salt water. If ignored, salt water will guarantee anything placed into it will turn into a pile of junk.

Last edited:
Two years all salt and brackish water, no corrosion at all. Salesman wanted to sell you his boat, not the one he doesnt sell.

yup. I understand that. What I found odd is that he stated Yamaha boats did not warrant against corrosion - which is true, but he said Yamaha outboards offered the industry's best corrosion warranty - which is as I read in the warranty, not true.

Salesmen today who lie end up losing. That sales tactic went out a decade ago. Today most buyers do their own research, ergo my posts here. The information is just to readily available to get away with lying.

Thank you all.

The reason I asked is coming from outboards specifically Yamaha outboards during years 2002-2006 the F200,F225, F250 suffered from a known common ailment of premature failure in the dry exhaust section of the powerhead that could also involve the oil pan (4-strokes). This is a very expensive repair required on many of sold. Yamaha did not cover it.

Conversely, Suzuki does offer an excellent warranty against corrosion so I wondered if Yamaha currently offers the same on their jet engines.

Here is the Zuke warranty. You can scroll down to see the terms of their corrosion warranty. I could not find any language on this in the Yamaha warranty.

NA Warranty Exclusions
“Corrosion damage caused by lack of proper use, maintenance or storage.”

Corrosion warranty

1. As part of this warranty, Suzuki Marine offers an additional warranty against corrosion on parts and assemblies rendered in-operative on condition that:
a. The replacement of sacrificial anodes, specified lubrication procedures, protection coating (including the repair of scratches and nicks to paint work) are carried out on a regular basis.
b. Regular scheduled maintenance inspections and procedures are conducted by an Authorised Suzuki Marine dealer at the times required by this manual and details of those inspections and procedures are recorded in the Service Record pages of this manual in accordance with the requirements specified.
c. All simple precautionary steps listed in the Service and Warranty Manual, are carried out in the manner specified.

2. The corrosion warranty does not cover:
a. Electrical system corrosion
b. Corrosion due to marine growth
c. Corrosion of accessories, instruments and steering systems
d. Corrosion caused by electrolysis
e. Improper installation
f. Corrosion resulting from damage, abuse, improper use or improper servicing, or
g. Corrosion caused by or resulting from the use of products not imported or supplied by Haines Suzuki Marine.

THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER ANY INCIDENTAL AND/OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSS OR DAMAGES RESULTING FROM CORROSION.

This warranty is provided by The Haines Group Pty Ltd ATF The Haines Group Trust ABN 62 868 567 262 trading as Haines Suzuki Marine.

Back