• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha covers and Starbrite waterproofing

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
dont know if anyone is following this conversation on Facebook but it seems that the Starbrite waterproofing spray is not compatible with the Yamaha covers. A lot of people are having covers fail after using this spray. I've always used it on other covers and it was great and I just sprayed my Yamaha cover this past weekend for the first time so I guess I will find out. Below is a response from Starbrite to someone who told them about the issue.

Below is the response I received from Star Brite after the application destroyed my mooring cover.

"Hi Rich,

We have recently been notified of issues with Yamaha OEM covers in the 2-3 year old range due to breakdown caused by UV exposure weakening the fabric. Our testing and technology for our formula has been around for 40+ years it does not weaken fabric.

Yamaha covers use a cheaper Sur Last material that is only backed by a 1 year warranty from Yamaha, which speaks to the quality of the fabric. For reference, Sunbrella covers offer a 10-year warranty on their fabric.

We also have been notified that somebody on Yamaha forums have recently assumed our product was at fault but after research, the issue was not due to our product but again to the cover breaking down at the end of the fabric’s life cycle.

Unfortunately, since the original forum post incorrectly blaming our product we have received an abnormal amount of claims citing identical details and issues which have all been associated with Yamaha covers. Due to this, we can no longer entertain claims pertaining to Yamaha covers.

I would refer you back to Yamaha to speak to them about any warranties they may have on their covers, or urge you to consider covers using higher quality materials.

Best regards."

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's interesting. There have been reports on here of 303 materials degrading covers also, but it was discovered that there are two types of 303 Fabric Guard. One that is compatible with canvas and one that is not.

Edit: Attached are the Cleaning and Care and Warranty information from Surlast.

Attachments

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Our Yamaha bow/cockpit cover and bimini top was our first experience with SurLast, and our last. We've had Sunbrella for many years on other boats; it is far superior in durability but more expensive. Our SurLast stuff was falling apart last summer so we had all new canvas made in Sunbrella. I've used both 303 and Star Brite waterproofing on Sunbrella with zero negative results.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The label on the Yamaha cover says not to add any type of waterproofing. I've gotten 4 years out of the Yamaha OEM cover in the Texas sun 24x7x365. I'm on my 3rd. I'll get 12 years out of a $1,500 investment. Assuming you get the same amount of time out of custom sunbrella you are looking at at least $1,500 investment. So to me, invest up front or incrementally no difference really.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It says not to use any waterproofing but after 3 years the water just kinda saturates the cover and seeps through. At this point its just a sun cover as any amount of rain just gets through the cover.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Is this all Yamaha covers? Is the deluxe premium different material?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the deluxe premium and it's made of sur last which is what people are have issues with.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The label on the Yamaha cover says not to add any type of waterproofing. I've gotten 4 years out of the Yamaha OEM cover in the Texas sun 24x7x365. I'm on my 3rd. I'll get 12 years out of a $1,500 investment. Assuming you get the same amount of time out of custom sunbrella you are looking at at least $1,500 investment. So to me, invest up front or incrementally no difference really.
I only received one quote for a custom Sunbrella cover, but it was a whopping $3900! She tried to tell me "theirs are made to last," to which I responded that I could buy seven OEM covers and even if each lasted only two years, that was probably still longer than the one custom Sunbrella cover would have lasted.

I know that price was very extreme but it is similar to what you've found.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I only received one quote for a custom Sunbrella cover, but it was a whopping $3900! She tried to tell me "theirs are made to last," to which I responded that I could buy seven OEM covers and even if each lasted only two years, that was probably still longer than the one custom Sunbrella cover would have lasted.

I know that price was very extreme but it is similar to what you've found.
In reality a custom sunbrella for 23/24'boat with tower made with their top line material would probably be in the $2-2.5K range perhaps more. My figures are probably dated but your assessment is correct.

smack

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
My original Yamaha cover lasted 4 years of Texas weather, just started to have issues at some of the seams, just bought another one for $600. I've still got the shipping cover which I use for the week in between when I bring the cover home to wash it, have never used anything to treat it. Four years at $600 I'm ok with.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Water proofing did work for me water always got in especially from heavy down pours. It does help in light rain I was in the boat working during a down pour and water mist just comes in. if you want it to be bone dry inside drape a tarp over the cover and bungy it down. Someone mentioned the cover would get moldy and I held off doing this for years . It was the worst advice ever taken off the web no mold even after draping it on the wet cover . I like the carpet but when it gets wet its a pain to dry out and stinks if left wet its always bone dry and I would guess my cover will last 3 times as long.

Attachments

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In reality a custom sunbrella for 23/24'boat with tower made with their top line material would probably be in the $2-2.5K range perhaps more. My figures are probably dated but your assessment is correct.
You are in the ball park. Last September we paid $2500 for custom sunbrella covers. For that we got, Gasketed and vented bow and cockpit covers with telescoping poles, a new bimini with zippers for side shades and removing from frame and a new boot. Snaps installed on hull and windshield. All done with excellent workmanship. AND, she even repaired my factory surlast mooring cover with a hole in it, without me asking, for free. The under side of the new cockpit cover was reinforced around the windshield and other wear points. I like what we got for what we paid.

Last edited:

Ernie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have stored my boat outside for 7 years now. I think I have been through 3 to 4 Yamaha covers. I tried the 303 waterproofing but I think it does something to the cover like keeping it from drying as fast as it needs to because mold starts to grow underneath the cover. I stopped doing anything to the covers and they seem to last longer.

4wheeldeal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Interesting read. I have the shipping cover starting to wonder if I should use it now. I can't fit it in my garage so I might buy a shalter or build a car port. Up in the air at what I want to do.

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Not sure if there is an update/change of materials here. Our 2019 boat cover is only 1 year off the showroom floor and I'm already seeing two zones of waterproofing capability which means it's wearing off quickly. I really feel compelled to do something to rejuvinate it, but the comments here leave me cold footed.

I found an article below that also talks about an alternative method. Is it common for owners to waterproof their premium covers?

MacGydver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure if there is an update/change of materials here. Our 2019 boat cover is only 1 year off the showroom floor and I'm already seeing two zones of waterproofing capability which means it's wearing off quickly. I really feel compelled to do something to rejuvinate it, but the comments here leave me cold footed.

I found an article below that also talks about an alternative method. Is it common for owners to waterproof their premium covers?

mine is but just over a year old holds mildew and the inside of the boat is very wet after a rain. My wave runner covers and boat cover (all yamaha covers) do not last very long.

I love my Yamaha Waverunners and my SX240 boat but the quality problems with.

1. Covers not lasting but slightly over a year
2. The shorelander trailer (sx240) has a broke. Bunk board and a barely functional trailer jack. I do not drive my boat onto the trailer I pull it up with road then use the winch. I try to follow ramp rules that ask you not to drive up into trailer (to avoid washing out the ramp).

My experience with the covers and the Shorelander Trailer are very negative. Oh and the snap in carpet in the SX240, almost forgot the snap tops broke off when trying to remove the carpets for cleaning.

But my waverunners and boat start, run, and perform great so that much is positive. I wish Yamaha would put quality into their selections process for vendors they use to make their covers and trailers.

That is just my experience others may have had better experience. The customer satisfaction survey for Yamaha is on boat delivery I think they should follow up a year and perhaps 2yrs later to get a better gauge of how they are doing.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My cover for the 210 fsh was a little over 900$. I sure hope it last 4 years down here in the georgia sun. But after this discussion I feel I will be disapointed.

MacGydver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

i would worry about the wax seeping through in hot summer sun.Mine is a 2019 as well. I bought August of last year. I guess I could not hurt the cover by trying to waterproof it, could bot get much worse than not being waterproof at all (which is where I currently sit). Thanks for the article, hope you get more use out of your cover than I did.