• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Engine Med RX

Stevepro172

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm new to the whole 4 stroke world and research on this site is a bit confusing on the subject when it comes to Yamaha Engine Med RX. Most of the threads I see are confusing it with a similar product, Yamaha Fuel Med. Please correct me if I'm wrong, Fuel med is basically Stabil marine grade and the Engine Med is a ring free product? Assume best practice is to use both, I am finding it hard to buy the engine med. Is Seafoam a good alternative?

upload_2018-5-16_13-48-55.png

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
For fuel stabilizer, I don't think it's worth the extra $ to buy a Yamaha product. Just buy some Marine Stabil, dump it in with every tank and call it good.

I did have some ring free a few years ago but didn't end up using it. I believe it said to change the oil after using ... but I don't recall for sure.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not knocking anybody's choice for additives (no pun intended on the use of knocking on an engine thread), and I use stabil marine 360 cnow just because (with 6-7 years of using nothing), but if you want to see what is actually in these fuel additives just google the product and MSDS sheet. Starbrite for example is 90=95% lighter fluid and 5-10% kerosene. There is no enzyme nor can there by definition. So I guess lighter fluid and kerosene could produce what they say it does. Some additives are mostly paint thinner.

Interesting that Stabil is about the same as starbrite but Stabil marine list very small % of proprietary additives. Do a little research on the ingredients to demystify these additives.

FYI. Enginemed RX and Yamaha Ring Free are exactly the same made by the same company. Fuelmed RX has different ingredients than Stabil.

Last edited:

Stevepro172

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
FYI. Enginemed RX and Yamaha Ring Free are exactly the same made by the same company. Fuelmed RX has different ingredients than Stabil.[/QUOTE]

Good information as I thought it would be two different products. I will just go with the Marine Stabil as I was using that already in the waverunner.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I only use the marine stabil these days. I tried ring free when I first got the boat used but at $50 a bottle which only treats one tank I gave it up quickly. I have no doubt that ring free is good for the engines but am equally sure that it’s too expensive for me. My boat is going to have to survive on a beer not champagne (pain) budget.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm new to the whole 4 stroke world and research on this site is a bit confusing on the subject when it comes to Yamaha Engine Med RX. Most of the threads I see are confusing it with a similar product, Yamaha Fuel Med. Please correct me if I'm wrong, Fuel med is basically Stabil marine grade and the Engine Med is a ring free product? Assume best practice is to use both, I am finding it hard to buy the engine med. Is Seafoam a good alternative?

View attachment 74514
Get a big bottle of Yamalube Ring Free Plus, it will last you a long time (1 oz per 10 gallons).
The main active ingredient is "Techron" - a proprietary something developed by Chevron/Oronite. There are many formulations, I would think the RX product is highly diluted bs - and I personally stick with the original (Ring Free Plus).
This is what I do, add (approx) 1 oz per 10 gallons, Ring Free (I only use Stabil during the winter months when the boat sits).
Has been around for a long time. It has a huge following among boat owners for outboard motors of all brands (2 and 4 stroke) - especially commercial fisherman who run their engines hard.

--

Stevepro172

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you recommend any place online to purchase? My local Yamaha dealer doesn't stock in and I hate them any way. I bought the boat 150 miles away and don't want to drive just for that.

Brandon_SC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I buy the ring free plus on Amazon. Shipping is usually free.

Stevepro172

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here are both MDS sheets for Engine Med RX and Fuel RX...

Fuel RX
upload_2018-5-19_20-29-19.png

and engine med rx

upload_2018-5-19_20-31-16.png

They are close in make up but not exactly. I'm no chemist but I see no reason that Engine Med RX is 5x more expense. Cheapest I found is $23 for 16oz

Stevepro172

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And here is the MDS for Yamaha Ring Free. As you can see its exactly the same as Engine Med RX. Hope this helps.

upload_2018-5-20_12-17-22.png