• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Yamaha Engine Torque

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does anyone know why Yamaha doesn't publish their engine specs? I think it is pretty widely accepted that the 1.8 HO puts out around 180-190 hp and the 1.8 SHO is about 210-220hp (I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it is not on the higher side), but has anybody every heard rumors on torque specs? We need to get a Yamaha motor engineer in this forum. The numbers are all sitting on a spec sheet buried inside Yamaha's network somewhere; somebody just slip that info to us and I promise I won't tell. I am particularly interested in how much of a torque boost the 1.8 SHO has over the HO, not because I am going to screw with my motor, just because every man should, and has a right to know what's under the hood (unless he's driving a Prius and wearing skinny jeans - right revoked). In all honesty my pride is feeling injured because I cannot confidently say that I know these things.

Luckily my pride is equally healed by having such a damned sexy boat that gorgeous women are more than happy to be on wearing very little.

Is the 1.8 used in motorcycles? I have seen plenty of dyno information for R1s.

I had an R6 and it made 130 Horsepower, and I think the r1's are around 160-180 range? and that is what my boat puts out. 1800cc?????

It is advertised as being a marine purpose built engine. That said, it may very well be that the majority of the engine (block, pistons, crank shaft, valves) are shared on other vehicles. From a cost of of production standpoint that would make a lot of sense. Some of the internals may be different though to allow for the high maintained RPMs. I am going to see what I can find and share it.

The R1 uses a 998cc engine so they definitely aren't sharing blocks. I looked at their other bikes and ATV's too and they all have different displacements as well. Good thought though.

The R1's engine is a 180hp (76'lbs of torque) 5-valve 1000cc (998).It produces 180hp from the factory, but can safely be tuned to produce 225hp easily. It is also used in snowmobiles but detuned to produce more torque. An older version, much detuned version is still offered in the SX/AR 210 models and I believe is referenced as the MR1. The standard way detuned MR1 produces 110hp while MR1 HO produced 160hp. The HO version was offered in 230's and older 212x'x - I think - again not 100% sure. I'm 100% sure about the R1 Genesis powerplant (motorcycles are my thing), but unsure about the models it is/was offered in.

The current 1.8 is a marine engine, offered in boats and jet skis. It is widely believed that they produce 180hp, but 1 that I know of that was dyno'd produced 192hp in stock trim. I remember the torque peak being 148'lbs.

A few more years - the 1.8's will be punched out to 2.0's or even 2.2's.

just because every man should, and has a right to know what's under the hood (unless he's driving a Prius and wearing skinny jeans - right revoked).

I literally busted out laughing, haha. My father owns a prius and classifies himself as a "gear head" such as myself. I told him that he is old and senile and that I have no other choice but to take his MAN CARD. For as long as he owns the prius, he will not get it back...

Yamaha also produces that BAD ASS 3.6L 365hp engine in the Ford Taurus SHO.
Lets put 2 of those twin turbocharged beauties in a Yamaha!!

Yamaha also produces that BAD ASS 3.6L 365hp engine in the Ford Taurus SHO.

What motor you talking about? The older Taurus was built by Yamaha. The new Ecoboost are Ford, Twin turbo direct injection V6. The older ones were definitely NOT 365 horse haha. I had a buddy with one. They were RPM happy and would scream all the way to about 7500rpm. The second gen even had a 3.4 V8 from Yamaha. The V8 was only 245hp.

Sorry I may drive a Chevy and a Jeep but I was ford factory trained haha. But hey, put two of the 3.4 Yamaha V8's in one of these boats! Get that V8 noise and it still being a true Yamaha boat. Now that would be nasty.

Lets put 2 of those turbocharged beauties in a Yamaha!!

H
What motor you talking about? The older Taurus was built by Yamaha. The new Ecoboost are Ford, Twin turbo direct injection V6. The older ones were definitely NOT 365 horse haha. I had a buddy with one. They were RPM happy and would scream all the way to about 7500rpm. The second gen even had a 3.4 V8 from Yamaha. The V8 was only 245hp.

Sorry I may drive a Chevy and a Jeep but I was ford factory trained haha. But hey, put two of the 3.4 Yamaha V8's in one of these boats! Get that V8 noise and it still being a true Yamaha boat. Now that would be nasty.

My bad! I knew that Yamaha made previous SHO engines, but was told by 1 of my Ford loving buddies they still made the new ones as well. I believed him. What do I know - I'm a Chevy guy.

Its all good. haha. Didnt mean to beat you down. Sorry about that

Hey @octavio3311, just as a reference. My '04 sx230 has the MR1 engines and the specs say they produce 140hp.

H

My bad! I knew that Yamaha made previous SHO engines, but was told by 1 of my Ford loving buddies they still made the new ones as well. I believed him. What do I know - I'm a Chevy guy.

I used to own one of the original Taurus SHOs. It was a complete sleeper. That high revving V6 has 220HP/220lb ft of torque and did 0-60 in 6.6 seconds. The best was the 7000 rpm redline and 7300 defuel point, which I frequently hit. it also has a set of secondary intake runner that open it at about 5000 followed by a surge in power right at the peak torque/hp band. The stock clutch went out every 3000 miles of so until it was replaced with a center force clutch.

Best car for LONG, SMOKEY burnouts since it was FWD. I would leave chunks of molten rubber on the windshield.

Too bad it was in a Taurus chassis. ;)

MY first car was a 98' Ford Contour SVT. I went all out and spent all my summer grass cutting money on it haha. I had SPEC clutch and lightweight flywheel, MSDS headers, B&M short throw shifter, and even a 75 shot of N20 go go juice. Talk about a quick little grocery getter. She was fun. Sorry to hog the thread lol

Back