• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Hull Chips

Scott N

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hello all,

I recently purchased a new 255 FSH Sport E. We have around 40 hours on it so far. It is stored indoors at a local marina when not in use. We took it out Saturday for good day of cruising. When I went back to wash it yesterday I founds some significant chips on the hull. Hey appear to go down to the fiberglass. The boat is being lifted in and out of the water with a fork lift, and it was then placed on a wooden rack for me to wash. It seems very odd that either of these things would cause chipping to a strong gel coat surface. We also have hit anything on the bottom to our knowledge that would have caused this damage. Does this look like a Yamaha issue?

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks,
Scott

Attachments

CaptRedbeard

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would expect to see scuffing/scratching around the chips if it were an owner error situation. I'd touch base with Yamaha and see what they say about initiating a warranty claim. Either way, you want to get that raw fiberglass sealed up with some new gel coat as to avoid water intrusion.

Scott N

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
After taking another look I can clearly see air pockets between the fiberglass and gel coat. Calling Yamaha.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It should not happen. I found a small crack in the gelcoat forming near the jet pumps. After tap testing with a coin, it was clear there was a dime sized void underneath. The glass creased when laid over the gelcoat and created an air pocket between them. I chipped it open and filled back in with some chopped fibers and resin topped with gelcoat. Seems like the gel in that area is really thin.

Scott N

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I would expect to see scuffing/scratching around the chips if it were an owner error situation. I'd touch base with Yamaha and see what they say about initiating a warranty claim. Either way, you want to get that raw fiberglass sealed up with some new gel coat as to avoid water intrusion.
Thank you for the feedback

Scott N

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It should not happen. I found a small crack in the gelcoat forming near the jet pumps. After tap testing with a coin, it was clear there was a dime sized void underneath. The glass creased when laid over the gelcoat and created an air pocket between them. I chipped it open and filled back in with some chopped fibers and resin topped with gelcoat. Seems like the gel in that area is really thin.
Thank you for the feedback. I guess this is not a completely rare occurrence in boat manufacturing.