• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Jet Boat Steering

OldFireGuy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Although I have owned several ski boats in my life, I now own my first Yamaha Jet Boat....2021 AR195. Having done my research/homework on these prior to my purchase I learned that low speed steering is quite the issue. I confirmed this the first couple of times on the water. I am installing the Thrust Vector Wake to correct this but here is my question/comment, knowing there is steering issues on their boats at low speeds why don't they change their steering design? Are they just providing an aftermarket opportunity?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
From my understanding - they have tried to purchase the Cobra Jet Design but Jeff won't budge on the patent.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If this were your first boat, you would have nothing to compare to, and probably accept that it is the way it is. And in actuality, a person learns to drive them stock.

I had to give up my fins for 3-4 weeks last summer, and I was surprised at how much the fins assisted. But after a few hours driving, it was not impossible to control at all. It just took a bit of practice. Almost to the point of wondering if I really needed to replace the fins. That was until I installed the new ones and was reminded of what they did for the experience.

So as mentioned, it's not a bad design, it's the nature of the technology in jet boating. You don't have a big rudder or outdrive. It's not wrong, it's different.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've had my boat for 10 years and have never felt the need to add any aftermarket steering systems to my boat. It does handle different but it's easy to get used to in my opinion. Also I would never add anything to my nozzles that Yamaha didn't engineer into their design.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
From my understanding - they have tried to purchase the Cobra Jet Design but Jeff won't budge on the patent.
That's interesting, hell I would license the patent and let Yamaha handle all of the production, installation and assume all of the liability and collect the check every month.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Although I have owned several ski boats in my life, I now own my first Yamaha Jet Boat....2021 AR195. Having done my research/homework on these prior to my purchase I learned that low speed steering is quite the issue. I confirmed this the first couple of times on the water. I am installing the Thrust Vector Wake to correct this but here is my question/comment, knowing there is steering issues on their boats at low speeds why don't they change their steering design? Are they just providing an aftermarket opportunity?
They have changed it. Our boats have articulating keels and the directional reverse buckets. Both added in the last few years. The fins are just more surface area to help the keel. I do wish there was more factory approved mods, but as a jeeper also, I'm used to all the aftermarket modifications.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Drove my boat for several seasons with no aides. And these were in the old days, when there were no articulating keels or reverse buckets. It was very doable. I think I added my TV's during season 3 or 4. Do the fins help? Sure. Does it make a world of difference? Not in my opinion. I think there is less correction needed and therefore less attention you need to pay to steering, maybe. And when I put them on, I needed to practice again to learn how the boat acted with them on.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It is no different than cars. People add better: tires, wheels, brakes and etc. to improve upon a factory product.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@OldFireGuy .....you adjust to the jets pretty fast. I went from twin counter-rotating Bravo III drives to our new 2020 SX195 and it was no big deal. Remembering that you can only steer when under power is important. :cool:

OldFireGuy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I respect all opinions on here. It was all about low speed steering for me. My wife can be more comfortable behind the wheel now too when docking, trailering, etc. No regrets

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The first boat that we put CobraJet steering on, it almost had a placibo effect on my wife. They did make a difference, but the bigger difference was the confidence it gave her. That is no joke. It was worth the investment.

On our current boat, I let a buddy captian it while I was playing with the new stereo, putting in presets and adjustments. He was about to hand over the wheel, as he just could not get it to track straight. But i said, give me a few more minutes, this is too much fun playing, and enjoying the ride.

In a half hour, he was more than comfortable with the boat, as he learned he was over steering, it was just slower to react. Soon enough, he was comfortable driving all afternoon, and even shot our channel at 40mph. Anything can be learned, given the right environment to learn and time.

But the fins are worth the investment.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Interesting post, Jeff started making steering for jet propelled watercraft back in 2001 when he was 49 years old because he purchased a jet boat after boating all his life with props and he totally hated the steering response or lack there of. The first person he made smile when driving a jet boat with steering added was himself, and he was so impressed that he patented it and several other modifications to jet boats and P W C's.
On the Yamahajetboaters .com site, people asked constantly for him to make steering for their Yamaha boats and he declined as he did not like the design of the Yamaha jet boat nozzles. Eventually after people continuously begged for him to design a system and a local member literally dropped a set of Yamaha jet boat nozzles off in his hands. He agreed. After designing, hand making and installing the steering on the nozzles he was invited out on the boat to go on the first test ride with the boat owner who was very happy with the transition and then people started ordering those systems like mad.
He actually hand made every one , and as time went on people wanted more and more steering input so he made a variety of steering systems to meet their demand .
Yamaha customers and Yamaha dealers quickly became his primary customers. Now close to 2 decades later at 68 years old he still does all his sales and all the work forming parts changing designs even packaging the screws and hardware himself even with carpel tunnel although I hear his girl friend often helps with the very small packages of screws and nylock nuts because he has trouble picking up those small parts, he also answers the phone and talks directly to the customers even when he is cooking dinner.
He also fills the orders, handles shipping the packages with a trip to the U S Post office 5 days a week and more if needed.
According to his patent lawyer he now has 5 US patents in the jet boat area.
He often wonders how nice it would be to sit back and relax but he then wonders how boring life would be if he did.
And now we enter the class of 2021 arena where all the lessons begin. So one thing is for sure he does not NEED to sell a single thing, he lives like he did when he raised his 4 children who are now in their late 30's and early 40's even in the same house he purchased back in 1977.
So the money is not the motivating factor it's his baby and he wants it to go to a good home probably won't find anyone who will put pride before the dollar ,So do your homework and research and remember He never has ANYONE speak for him Not even his children or his 11 grandchildren. He never hires marketing people to tell them to start a thread to create interest in a sale.
And one 1 important thing to remember when it comes to INVENTIONS if you get to the table last you may just get the crumbs.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@OldFireGuy .....you adjust to the jets pretty fast. I went from twin counter-rotating Bravo III drives to our new 2020 SX195 and it was no big deal. Remembering that you can only steer when under power is important. :cool:
With my Cobras, you have a few seconds after going into neutral/killing engines to still change direction of the boat.

campinfamily

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We just got a 2021 201FSH- this is our first boat, so we have noting to compare to except pontoon rentals on vacation- I drove the boat 2 times, and felt like I needed more control at slow speed and quicker responsiveness when at crusing speed. I researched for a couple days and after a few email exchanges with Jeff @ Cobra- I ordered the full system with Fangs. I drove to the marina, and 80% of the boats (yamaha dealer/marina) had the Thrust Vectors- on them- so i was the odd man with Cobra! Took my time and with the help of my semi-useful son, lol, had it installed in 60 mins. A quick comparison- of the boat next to me, was the Cobra Jet system is stationary, so will be effective at all speed. The TV will rise up when
cruising- so this was the major point and why I chose the Cobra system.
The Marina slid me into the water and as I backed off the trailer- I smiled. I felt the difference already. The steering wheel felt, "tight", and my maneuvers were about instant. The next test was the 100 yards of no-wake to get to the bay. Previously it was like a slalom course, right, left, right left, probably over steering too much, but still needed constant input. This time- it was like the showtime cooker- set it and forget it! I pointed the boat in the direction, took my hands off the wheel and went STRAIGHT! My son looked at me and smiled, knowing I was a happy man. Docking has been much easier. At higher speeds, again, I feel more in control, I turn the wheel, the boat turns, before it was a second or two of delay- but the second was unnerving to me. Yesterday the bay was super calm, and with just my wife and I we did some turning at high speed, and it felt glued to the water, no sliding or sloshing feeling. Again, this just gives me confidence- and being a new boater, I like that.

Sorry for the long review, but hope it helps someone, and to be fair, I never tried the Thrust Vector, so not saying it won't be right for you. Cobra was right for me and my family. And being a Jeep guy, I love modifications! This boat is feeding that passion too!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just finished my 4th season. Had 7 seasons on an I/O before moving to a jet. I see no need for the fins myself.

Jets drive differently. It's not a problem of equipment it's a problem of expectations. If you expect to drive your jet powered boat the same way you drive your car/truck, then you'll be sorely disappointed. If you know there is a difference, expect that, and adjust your driving style to match, then there is really no problem IMO. I don't drive a motorcycle the same why I drive my car, I don't expect to drive my boat the same way either, and have no issue with the way the boat drives.

Aftermarket fins simply align the driving technique with owners preconceived notions of how it's supposed to work.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Simply put there is something called physic involved, so if you want the steering to respond at all speeds in both forward and reverse . If you want to be able to steer even without thrust and have a nice fast response during water sport activities having my super steering is what you need, after all you would do better practicing smiling that practicing left right guessing games because most boaters want to relax and enjoy their time in the boat out on the water with family and friends rather than worry about what the boat is going to do next. Why listen to an AM radio when you can enjoy the best sound system because it's the same thing, go with the best and enjoy the boat more It is just that simple it's your boat do what makes you happy.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it's your boat do what makes you happy.
This is the most important part of your marketing Jeff. Don't lose that!

My gripe is with the mentality of some that the factory equipment is somehow "broken", "defective", or "dangerous". It's none of those. It's a completely competent system, that requires a different technique than other boats. Inboards are different than I/O's, that are different than outboards, that are different than jets.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Honestly I was 49 years old and owned boats since I was 14 when I drove my jet boat for the first time and truly HATED IT,S lack of control compared to prop boats.
This experience drove me to design and test my very first steering system and wow what a difference it made I went from HATING it to LOVING it I smiled the minute I put the boat in the water for the first time with the very first steering system on it. That was back in 2001, now nearly 20 years of making jet boats steer and drivers smile I can honestly say The Achilles heel of jet boats was the lack of instant response to the helm at all speeds and absolutely NO control with no thrust, so I have made steering for over 11,500 Yamaha jet boats and oddly the Yamaha steering was at the request of the members of yamahajetboaters.net many years ago. So now with 5 us patents at 68 years old I can sit back and enjoy people enjoying the fruits of my years of labor , people are creatures of habit and I say often that they want to drive their boat like they drive a car however driving a jet boat is like driving a car on the ice and with my super steering it's like driving a sports car on a dry road!

campinfamily

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This is the most important part of your marketing Jeff. Don't lose that!

My gripe is with the mentality of some that the factory equipment is somehow "broken", "defective", or "dangerous". It's none of those. It's a completely competent system, that requires a different technique than other boats. Inboards are different than I/O's, that are different than outboards, that are different than jets.
I agree, and never said anything was broken, defective, or dangerous.

So far we love the boat, and this system made us more comfortable driving it and can enjoy it more. We boat on the bay in NJ and it can get rough, with traffic, current and wind, this takes away some of the stress, and I feel it handles better than before. Personal preferences, I guess.

Safe boating to all!!