• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Jet Boat Winter Cover?

Dolphin134

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey Everyone,
We live in New Jersey and sadly it's time to pack up the boat for the winter soon. I have the yamaha cover that straps around the boat but I was wondering if that is made to survive the winter with snow and all. Let me know your thoughts!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would get the boat wrapped, with supports and vents. I am having mine wrapped next week. $190. After I remove everything, Fog and remove the battery. Gonna spray down some of the hinges and other moving parts with either Yamalube Spray or with lithium Not going to chance the stock white shipping cover. Would defiantly not use the mooring cover.

four_the_kids

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
$190, I wish we were that fortunate. Best I've been able to find in our area is $340-$365. We've used two mooring covers in the past, and then covered with two tarps. Prior to doing so, we scrubbed her down, waxed her, removed all the interior cushions as possible, then saturated the fixed cushions/interior with 303 Protectant, placed marine moisture guards to protect against mildew accumulating, and I believe the last was to place a rodent/pest repellent throughout. We've never experienced a surprise or issue of any kind the following spring when uncovering her.

mistercool88

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Do not go the cheap route. Pay the $365. I learned the hard way.
Last year I used a snap on cover with supports on a four Winns fish and ski. I also covered with a tarp off amazon so I though I would be more than good. At some point a small tear happened on the cover and water entered the boat. At the same time a small piece of plastic from god knows what covered the drain hole in the rear of the boat. The boat filled up like a bath tub and fried electrical components along with wiring harness. There was an on board built in charger so that's why the electrical system fried. After replacing the harness, breaker and connectors. I would periodically have issues.

Long story short: water is the enemy even if these things are built for them.

Dolphin134

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do not go the cheap route. Pay the $365. I learned the hard way.
Last year I used a snap on cover with supports on a four Winns fish and ski. I also covered with a tarp off amazon so I though I would be more than good. At some point a small tear happened on the cover and water entered the boat. At the same time a small piece of plastic from god knows what covered the drain hole in the rear of the boat. The boat filled up like a bath tub and fried electrical components along with wiring harness. There was an on board built in charger so that's why the electrical system fried. After replacing the harness, breaker and connectors. I would periodically have issues.

Long story short: water is the enemy even if these things are built for them.
WOW, that's awful. So what are going to do this year?

mistercool88

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
new boat equals a new me. I will be paying for a shrink wrap along with a purchased RV cover from Costco.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Make sure if you are going to use another cover, over or under the shrink wrap, that it has vents to breathe. the Shrink wrap people usually puts vents in it so I am told.

Dolphin134

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What do you guys do about the cross bar that goes over the boat? Hangoutdoors, like the blue one you have. Do you fold it down or does it come off?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will remove my chrome racks. Lower the bar and I had the dealership give me the tower shipping brackets which will secure the tower and the big bolts that came with it. These are the brackets and bolts that where on our towers from the factory to secure the tower solid.

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I would get the boat wrapped, with supports and vents. I am having mine wrapped next week. $190. After I remove everything, Fog and remove the battery. Gonna spray down some of the hinges and other moving parts with either Yamalube Spray or with lithium Not going to chance the stock white shipping cover. Would defiantly not use the mooring cover.
$190 is a good price, especially if they cover the tower! My marina apparently is doing a special for what would be $259.40 for my 242 (with tower) plus $459 for outdoor storage on site - appx $718 total.. Then I would have to buy dry buckets and of course the trailer and boat would be outside over the winter. My neurotic brain still can't bring myself to do it, so I just put the shipping cover on it yesterday after cleaning and conditioning all the vinyl. Will be taking it to my dealer this week so they can complete 50/100hr service (I'm at around 90 hrs), warranty punchlist and winterization. They'll then keep it in indoor cold storage for $639 (paid them at the beginning of Sept for storage). So for me, I satisfy my neurosis 🤪 and I actually save a bit at the dealer (for the storage only) and I have to haul it out to them anyhow for service. Seemed to work out well for me last year except for them not completing all the previous warranty items, which of course are now tacked on to this year, lol. Nothing huge. Of course doing all the service and winterization myself would save a ton regardless, if I had the time.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The prices I got ranged from $195 to $245. They will come out to the house and do it in the drive. Roughly $9-$12ish per linear foot. I will winterize it this weekend and then have them come out. Plan on keeping it in the drive this winter. They also use wood and build up a the bow and cockpit so like a tent the snow should roll off. Also a couple of vents and I will through in some dry packs, etc. Also if it is here I can keep the snow off it, will keep my leaf blower ready.

Next spring I will revisit the boat garage concept with the Admiral.

CigarJeff68

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used the shipping cover last winter without any problems. Granted it was a mild winter here in Michigan. Just use the shipping cover only, don't leave the mooring cover on, as moister can accumulate between the covers. I am lucky enough to be able to park it next to my garage so I can keep on eye on it all winter.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From what I have been told you shouldn't just use your shipping cover, otherwise I would. Have heard issues here as well as with others boats. With the type of investment the boat is to us, I prefer to have it wrapped if storing outside.

CigarJeff68

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not that it's gospel, or even right, but I contacted my dealer and he said that it worked for a winter cover. But definitely agree with you about the investment we have in our boats. I may have to ask my local jet boat service shop what their thoughts are on the subject. We are the only ones in our boating group that stores our boat outside, so no help from that source. This conversation definitely will have me doing my due diligence on the subject.

Stevepro172

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow, I'm getting hosed. I have paid $450 here in North Jersey to have mine wrapped in 7mm plastic. they do a good job with 4 vents. they leave the tower up and wrap the whole thing as this allows the snow to shed easily.

Boats are not cheap to start with and if you cheap on anything you will see cost of ownership really go up!

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I realize that winters in KY. are far milder than the ones in MI. but my dealer stores boats outside on his lot for customers that purchased from them (plus a storage fee) with shipping covers only , all off season. I have used this service from November thru March will no issues. 2-3 Damp Rid bags and remove the batteries. They don't even recommend fogging the engines. I was going to fog them the winter of 2016 on my first boat and first off season prep but was advised not to fog fuel injected engines. Definitely do NOT put the shipping cover over the mooring cover.

Stevepro172

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't fog either, I just pull the spark plugs and pour oil (or fogging spray) right in and then put the plugs back in and turn the engine over a couple of times to coat the cylinders.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Ok what I do on our 242x is white shipping cover and a 20' x 30' tarp. I fold the tower down to the shipping position. The 242x has the large bimini frame so I put pipe insulation foam on most of it. On top of that I lay a sheet of PVC lattice to sport the 20' x 30' tarp from water pooling. Been doing this every yr since 18'.

sapperfitz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just use the premium mooring cover. I remove the Bimini and take everything out of the boat, plug in a small heater with fan that I bought from West Marine, and use a large container of damp rid that I check monthly. I also leave the drain plug out and crank the bow up as high as it will go in case water gets inside. I've done this for 3 winters; the boat still looks like new and the cover is still in great shape, just a little faded. Low temps in the winter around here are usually low 20s to mid 30s but we've had single digits since I bought the boat. If we got more snow on a regular basis I'd be concerned the cover might tear under the weight, but I've had 3' of snow on it with no issues. I use a broom to remove snow if it gets too deep.

mistercool88

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ok what I do on our 242x is white shipping cover and a 20' x 30' tarp. I fold the tower down to the shipping position. The 242x has the large bimini frame so I put pipe insulation foam on most of it. On top of that I lay a sheet of PVC lattice to sport the 20' x 30' tarp from water pooling. Been doing this every yr since 18'.
Do you have a photo?