• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Yamaha Mooring Cover Falling Apart

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Has anyone else has issues with there Yamaha Mooring Cover only last a little over a year? My FSH cover is 13 month and seams are ripping out by the Velcro and zipper on the center console.

I clipped a fence post a few months ago and patched it which is holding fine but just noticed these others tearing out. Is it just south Florida sun and heat cause or did I just get a bad one? My Budge cover seemed to hold up better.

Has anyone else has issues with there Yamaha Mooring Cover only last a little over a year? My FSH cover is 13 month and seams are ripping out by the Velcro and zipper on the center console.

I clipped a fence post a few months ago and patched it which is holding fine but just noticed these others tearing out. Is it just south Florida sun and heat cause or did I just get a bad one? My Budge cover seemed to hold up better.
Mine ripped on one of the the seams when traveling on the highway at about the 14 month mark but not while docked. Mine is under a covered dock so doesn’t get full sun and rain.

This is going back a bit.......

I had a '14 SX192. The original grey cover I bought was shot in about a year or so. The boat only sat out about 6 months while my garage was being built so I could store it inside.

I ordered a replacement about two years later and the cover was much better. It seemed heavier... had better vents.... etc. that cover held up better.

I wonder if they change manufacturers from time to time and the quality and materials get impacted as a result?

Mine was the newer black style. I thought it was well designed and built. As far as trailering. From my house to storage is 15 min of 65mph freeway then the rest is 50 mph or less for 2 hours to my launch spot in the keys

Mine is from late 2018 or early 2019, came with boat and was less than 1 year old. Tag says it was made by Shurlast (sp?), and is still going strong. I’ve only trailered once, if any, and only use it is summer in the slip.

To make it last longer I bought an inexpensive cover on Amazon, same as what iboats sells, for the winter to avoid damage from snow load or cold weather cracking. I can see the longevity being much less if towed with or year round use, like in Florida.

If I were in such a situation and couldn’t shelter the boat I’d probably put a cheaper cover over it for sun protection while parked. Would just need to make sure it doesn’t trap water between the two covers.

I've gone through 2 in 6 months. The first took forever for the dealer to issue a refund as I had to order another one to keep a cover on the boat. I had to file BBB complaint to get it refunded and involved Yamaha. 2 seams ripped. The second one is starting has a seam starting to rip and I treat it gingerly. There is no attention to detail on the sewing from what I can see.

I did coat with 303 fabric guard about 2 months ago, when I noticed water wasnt beading and running off anymore. I wonder if that was the cause the demise? patched the areas that were tearing yesterday, hopfully that does the trick.

Commercial sewing in CT was the manufacturer contact them directly see what they can do to help out with a warranty issue

Last edited:
Since the cover was damaged by a fence in another spot on the same side i doubt they would do anything. Once it's completely dead I will just go back to my Budge cover. It's not worth the investment to replace and only get a year or 2 out of a $1000 cover

I did coat with 303 fabric guard about 2 months ago, when I noticed water wasnt beading and running off anymore. I wonder if that was the cause the demise? patched the areas that were tearing yesterday, hopfully that does the trick.

There have been a number of posts over the last few years that 303 will lead to an imminent demise of the cover. I don't know if its true or not, but I won't take a chance on it. My mooring cover is on Year 5 and I might get one more year out of it, but I'll probably order a new one this winter just in case. From what I've seen, 4-5 years seems to be the average lifespan for it.

I have 3000 miles of towing on my 2020 mooring cover with poles up and it looks like the day I bought it. It's generally in covered storage, but not heated/cooled storage. I use 303 Fabric guard fairly religiously as it's recommended by commercial sewing for these covers. The 303 fabric guard causing problems is a logical fallacy.

I have 3000 miles of towing on my 2020 mooring cover with poles up and it looks like the day I bought it. It's generally in covered storage, but not heated/cooled storage. I use 303 Fabric guard fairly religiously as it's recommended by commercial sewing for these covers. The 303 fabric guard causing problems is a logical fallacy.
That's the thing is your storing out of the sun so it's not an apple to apple comparison. I'm seriously wondering if the 303 killed the built in UV protection the original cover had.

That's the thing is your storing out of the sun so it's not an apple to apple comparison. I'm seriously wondering if the 303 killed the built in UV protection the original cover had.
Reach out to commercial sewing and ask. However, I'm near certain they'll tell you not a chance as that's what they recommend.

@suke is right, the manufacturer recommends 303 Fabric Guard to maintain the water repellent feature of the cover. I use it on my cover and bimini top...follow the directions and it works great.
Do not use the 303 protectant as it is not made for porous fabrics like the covers and biminis.

@suke is right, the manufacturer recommends 303 Fabric Guard to maintain the water repellent feature of the cover. I use it on my cover and bimini top...follow the directions and it works great.
Do not use the 303 protectant as it is not made for porous fabrics like the covers and biminis.
It was the Faberic Guard I used.

Back