• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Yamaha PWC Recommendations

I have a buddy talking me out of the spark. He’s selling his Trixx after a year. They say it’s fun for what it was intended for. But, if they try to ride it to their favorite swimming hole (maybe 25 minutes at 26mph) he says it just beats them up too much. (Good sized lake that gets some decent chop on windy days or big boating days with a lot of traffic)

Alternatively, my uncle bought a spark last summer and that’s what got my kids interested. Here on my local lake, we have much smoother water - and really no destinations to ride too. Lol. Any use at home would purely be for the fun.

The in-laws live on the lake and have a dock. It would be super easy to get a ski dock and attach to their dock and go play after we all get home from work. In-laws would probably love it because we’d be coming over more. ?

A 30 minute ride on a ski is probably not something for children (or skis IMO) that is a boat ride. The Spark is not a cruising ski - it is a play/fun ski. He is right it will beat you up in chop.

I have no reliability concerns with a modern Rotax engine. Mid-2000s - sure. I sold mine to a friend and they still run great. The SC models need to be rebuilt every 100 hours. The Sparks seem like a lot of work to perform maintenance but you can have the hull apart in under 10 minutes. If you had any major issues you then have the entire engine at your disposal. For reference, we were doing spark plugs/oil changes on two skis in under an hour for the Sparks.

Does anyone else offer a plastic hull? That would be a big sell for me with kids. Hit a dock? It's just a deep scratch and no fiberglass damage to be concerned about. Looks ugly? Replace just that panel.

I agree with Adrian. Half an hour on a ski sucks no matter what it is, exceptaybe one of those giant 4 seaters..they're intended to jump on, ride it around like a jerk, do some donuts, jump some wakes, get your inner BMW driver out, and then go back. It's a boat companion, not replacement. We used to have a rule that if you drove the ski to the sandbar, you got the first shot once we got there because it kinda sucks. The spark is ESPECIALLY not designed for that. Sparks are designed to be an inexpensive zip around fun ski that gets put up after a bit.

The best times I had with my skis were hanging out with friends who had a pontoon. People would take turns on the ski, and I'd hang out on the boat too. That's proper use of a ski. Yeah, you could get a monster 800 pound 3 seater floating minivan ski now. But you shouldn't, you should get a small boat at that point.

Re seadoo reliability... I didn't have issues with mine, just upkeep. Same thing with my Yamaha boat. Both are IMO like a Honda, if you upkeep them, they'll treat you great. If you let them get ratty, they can get to be a bit of a pit. Neither are like an old Chevy truck that runs on freedom and doesn't need an oil change more than once every other decade. The supercharger does require a rebuild, but the non supercharged skis are plenty fun. More power on a ski doesn't mean more fun, they're all limited to basically the same top speed, and going from 150hp to 320 or whatever isn't gonna make a massive difference in fun.

I have a blast with my skies but they steer like nothing you have ever driven.

Great post. This is exactly what makes me think a couple year old ski that wasn’t beat up and is somewhat cheap (if there is such a thing) is the way to go.

Sometimes I have a bit of an impulse control problem when it comes to buying toys, so I’m trying to keep that in check as well. That’s what usually leads me to being impatient and just buying a new one at the dealer (whatever “it” might be at the time).

Made a deal on the first of the 2 quads to be sold today. Taking it to work with me and meeting the guy tomorrow morning. So, thats 1 step closer I guess.

I agree with Adrian. Half an hour on a ski sucks no matter what it is, exceptaybe one of those giant 4 seaters..they're intended to jump on, ride it around like a jerk, do some donuts, jump some wakes, get your inner BMW driver out, and then go back. It's a boat companion, not replacement. We used to have a rule that if you drove the ski to the sandbar, you got the first shot once we got there because it kinda sucks. The spark is ESPECIALLY not designed for that. Sparks are designed to be an inexpensive zip around fun ski that gets put up after a bit.

The best times I had with my skis were hanging out with friends who had a pontoon. People would take turns on the ski, and I'd hang out on the boat too. That's proper use of a ski. Yeah, you could get a monster 800 pound 3 seater floating minivan ski now. But you shouldn't, you should get a small boat at that point.

Re seadoo reliability... I didn't have issues with mine, just upkeep. Same thing with my Yamaha boat. Both are IMO like a Honda, if you upkeep them, they'll treat you great. If you let them get ratty, they can get to be a bit of a pit. Neither are like an old Chevy truck that runs on freedom and doesn't need an oil change more than once every other decade. The supercharger does require a rebuild, but the non supercharged skis are plenty fun. More power on a ski doesn't mean more fun, they're all limited to basically the same top speed, and going from 150hp to 320 or whatever isn't gonna make a massive difference in fun.

I have a blast with my skies but they steer like nothing you have ever driven.
Dang, how fast is the Kawi going? Looks like you’re flying.

‘Course, if my wife ever sees my kids riding like you do (enhanced steering or not) - I’m guessing it will be for sale that same afternoon. Lol

Dang, how fast is the Kawi going? Looks like you’re flying.

‘Course, if my wife ever sees my kids riding like you do (enhanced steering or not) - I’m guessing it will be for sale that same afternoon. Lol
I have some others on my facebook pages but for some reason when I try to post them they don't post one is my get the heck away from me video in reverse and the other id my auto pilot video I just did a few weeks ago try pulling 5 people in 2 tubes behind a p w c driving with your feet it's easy . in some of those videos I am basically driving with 1 hand in the turns especially on the super charged skies . The carve so fast I spend all day on them and I mage throttle stops so your hands don't get tired the one video I just put on facebook I also make a very Tight fast, hard turn and rapidly decelerate never loosing control The other one I rotate in reverse and spray the water in a large circle as I go around. I think you have to go here to see those https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=jeffrey t walkowiak

We have a 2009 Yamaha FX SHO (113 hrs), and 2013 Sea-Doo GTI 130 (75 hrs).

Yamaha - Motor is bulletproof, supercharger does not require servicing every 100 hours. Top speed 72 mph, comfortable cruising speed 40mph. Maintenance to date: spark plugs and oil changes.

Sea-Doo - No mechanical issues to-date, spark plugs and oil changes. Top Speed 55 mph, comfortable cruising speed 40 mph. Comparing these 2 models, the Sea-Doo has a better hull design - with identical conditions the ride will be drier and more comfortable. I've had to replace the boarding step, the rubber coating was breaking down and leaving junk on your knees and hands. The digital display is starting to fade, will need replacing in a year or 2.

Purchase a large 3 seater if your budget permits - the PWC will be more stable when boarding from the water, and general cruising.

Back