• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha, Sea Doo, or Scarab... Oh my

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The tow capacity is 3500 lbs and we are about 15-30 miles from the different lakes that we would go to.
All the more reason to get a 192, the trailer comes with trailer brakes. We pulled our 190 with a Honda Odyssey and it pulled well. However after one season of towing the rotors were warped. Maybe a fluke but I’m sure this didn’t help matters.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That tow capacity is going to keep you at 20' or less. But that does get you a 7-8 person boat. If you can find a Yamaha under $20K, that would be a great suggestion.

If you do go SeaDoo with twin rotax, avoid the supercharged versions unless the previous owner provides full service records. Supercharger rebuilds are scheduled maintenance, and if not cared for, will be very expensive to fix. If they were properly cared for, they provide a crap-can of power! (And fuel usage) The Challenger 180 or speedster 200 would be 4-stroke options in that size range. Utopia as well was offered in Merc and Rotax variations.

There are EFI 2-strokes as well. So if you really need to cut the budget back, but want easy operation without choke, watch for those. Let's be real, all of these boats are just PWC engines (other than the Mercurys) so support and forums are out there if a person is mechanically inclined. If not, keep a local shop in mind prior to purchase.

Coffeecan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We just went through the same decision with all of the above boats in the last few months.
2 cycles are not worth the trouble unless you ares a skilled mechanic.
I test drove a challenger 180, not a bad little boat, but not practical for 8 people (more like 6-7) ride is much rougher than the Yamaha. The deal breaker was the 100 hour supercharger rebuild requirement, at best your looking at $500 to unbolt and mail the charger off to get the work done (you can do it your self but will need special tools. Also rotax engines need to have an exhaust line clamped if they get towed (not a deal breaker but they used boat I had been looking at had been towed without it and its some thing to ask).

We ended up getting a good deal on a used 2013 AR190 from a dealer, and are super happy with the boat. Our Kids are young (4 & 2) so tow sports isn't critical yet, but plan to tow a tube an the occasional board. Maintenance on a single engine is super easy. Space is great for 8 (not had it fully loaded but runs above 40mph with 4 adults and 2 kids). Tower is good and Bimini doesn't flap, and I don't hit my head and I'm 6'2" which is a plus. I wish the Yamaha had a better spot for a cooler, or dedicated cooler space. the boat is loud at cruise but so is everything else. I also looked at the for a used 230 model but can be harder to find a clean one and won't be towable for your van.

Cheers and happy hunting

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks... As for a tow restriction, I am going to be limited to about 3500 lbs (unless I can somehow talk my wife into a boat and a truck). I like the yamaha's as a good across the board, but am wondering if my entry into jet boating should be the less expensive sea doo challengers with the intent to upgrade to the yamaha sx190's as they come down in price in a few years.
biffdotorg and scottintexas, thanks again...I still don't know what to do. Part of me says to get the cheapest one as a tester and then sell it next season and upgrade if we like it. The other part of me thinks that I should pay a little more now and get everything we want so we don't have to start all over again next season.
Buy Your Second Boat First! As some of us like to say.:winkingthumbsup"

thepiratemorgan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I'm towing our first ever boat (although I've been boating all my young life), a 2015 SX192 with a 2017 Toyota Sienna. Trailer brakes on the 192's are definitely helpful as I only feel an ever so slight push from the trailer upon stopping. She knows the boat is back there, but to be honest, she hums along nicely and we tow about the same mileage you've mentioned. We're not doing 500 mile marathon trips for sure. As far as seating capacity is concerned, my family of 3 is happy as a pig in poo. My wife hugged me for minutes on end our first trip out and said it was perfect (the only way I roll...), I did my research for almost a year. And for the rare times we will have (yet to as of yet) another family of 4 join us... we're not going to cry over a little "tightness". This boat has a wonderful size bow and the swim deck out back sets it way apart, I mean waaaaaaay apart, from the crowd. We paid $24,500 and the boat had 40 hours on it with all the service records and a transferable Yamaha powertrain warranty until June 2020. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

thepiratemorgan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
BTW - if you're pulling with a Sienna,the ONLY hitch that you should consider is the Draw-tite. Completely hidden except for the receiver. Much better looking than U-Haul or Curtis.

Attachments

Captain Obvious

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
FWIW. I'd say stick to Yamaha if at all possible. I used to sell Sea Doo boats and pwc circa 2006 ish. The boats are not made to the quality standards that Yamahas are. The pwcs are fine. IMHO.