• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha SX/AR 210 evolution - What major changes in past years?

Berberman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I’ll be shopping for a used SX210, trading in my sx190 (I ruled out the 24’ for insufficient garage space and vehicle towing capacity).

I know that the cleanout plug was redesigned in the 2017 models probably in response to the plugs exploding up under high pressure. They now twist.

What other major changes were done to this line in the past 5 or so years? since I’m buying used I want to make sure I’m not missing out on some important features that came out. I’d probably be looking at 2015 and up 210s.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am hoping that some things filter down and that there are some additional changes in the 21' line in the next two years.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I’ll be shopping for a used SX210, trading in my sx190 (I ruled out the 24’ for insufficient garage space and vehicle towing capacity).

I know that the cleanout plug was redesigned in the 2017 models probably in response to the plugs exploding up under high pressure. They now twist.

What other major changes were done to this line in the past 5 or so years? since I’m buying used I want to make sure I’m not missing out on some important features that came out. I’d probably be looking at 2015 and up 210s.
Don't make a decision based on that feature change for sure. There is a reason the plug design had not changed in so many years, as it was not really a huge issue. Folks that didn't install them correctly risked a blow out. Folks that didn't pull them and lube them got a stuck plug. Those of us that use a third party lock, and lube them have had no issues at all.

TR1 engine change in the past few years as well. Hull changes back in 2012. If you can swing a 212, get the more powerful motors for sure! MR1 HO in the old generation 212, and 1.8ltr in the new generation.

Berberman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
TR1 engine change in the past few years as well. Hull changes back in 2012. If you can swing a 212, get the more powerful motors for sure! MR1 HO in the old generation 212, and 1.8ltr in the new generation.
I’m definitely a fan of the 1.8L, the thing is a powerhouse and has proven to be very reliable throughout the years, so I understand why people tend to like and get the 212. However with the short boating season here in Massachusetts it’s hard to justify the $10k difference.

So it seems the major evolution of the 210s was the 2012 hull design change, and the TR-1 twin engines in 2017.

If that’s correct then I’d say I’m safe looking for a 2017 and up used SX210.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's why many opt for a couple year older 212 over a late model 210. But it's all in what you value. Check out the comparison to model year spreadsheets in the FAQ section. It helps greatly.

Berberman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's why many opt for a couple year older 212 over a late model 210. But it's all in what you value. Check out the comparison to model year spreadsheets in the FAQ section. It helps greatly.
That spreadsheet is awesome! It stops at 2018 for the 210, but it also shows that the 2017s introduced the articulating keel!

Berberman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In addtion to the AK and the TR-1s, Connext with touchscreen 4.3" display in 2017 and up.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
(assuming that the Connext is an 'upgrade', of course... oh, sorry--was my lack of fandom showing?)

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
"Not reliable" might be overstating it. There were a number of reports of everything from delaminating screens to screens that just went blank to not showing battery levels correctly to -- well, soup to nuts. And without that screen, you can't even turn on the lights or the bilge on those early models (something they just fixed by providing redundant switches finally).

New technology on a boat can be really cool. But then you get to deal with them working the bugs out on it, too.

Berberman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
"Not reliable" might be overstating it. There were a number of reports of everything from delaminating screens to screens that just went blank to not showing battery levels correctly to -- well, soup to nuts. And without that screen, you can't even turn on the lights or the bilge on those early models (something they just fixed by providing redundant switches finally).

New technology on a boat can be really cool. But then you get to deal with them working the bugs out on it, too.
Not being able to turning on the bilge!!!?!:eek: Major flaw there if it can only be done on the screen! Would you know what year the switches were reintroduced on 21's?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Berberman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All used 210s 2017 and up seem to have the side buttons in addition to the Connext screen on the used models for sale/reviewed I'm looking up..Example below at 4:24. What am I missing...

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
2017 was a major upgrade from 2015. It’s a hell of a lot more than motors and connect.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All used 210s 2017 and up seem to have the side buttons in addition to the Connext screen on the used models for sale/reviewed I'm looking up..Example below at 4:24. What am I missing...
Probably nothing. I may be mistaken on the 210 for that year. It is a comment I have heard from Connext owners with failed screens...

At any rate, I would make sure that the model you are considering has those backups at least. You may lose the radio, speedometer, fuel levels, etc., but at least you will be able to get home.