• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamalube or Synthetic Oil?

wschrade

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
After reading the owners manual Yamaha claims real advantage of sticking with Yamalube, but I've seen some YouTube videos that say switch to Synthetic.

Thoughts?

I used Yamalube for 10 years in my Yamaha without an issue. I use XPS in my Seadoos and Shell Rotella in my new boat, these are all oils that the manufacturer recommends. If the other oils were so much better for the engines, why don't the manufacturers recommend them? Until I see the manufacturer coming out and recommending another type of oil, I won't change. If the Youtube videos are recommending another type of oil to save money they should have never bought a boat.

This topic has been discussed many times
Beat A Dead Horse GIFs | Tenor

Oil brand is personal preference. Yamaha recommends their oil but does not require it and as long as the oil your using meets the requirements set by the engine manufacturer you can run any brand you like.

I use Yamalube mainly for the warranty. I don't want using a different oil to be the reason a warranty claim is denied. And don't forget to keep the receipts

This topic has been discussed many times
Beat A Dead Horse GIFs | Tenor

Oil brand is personal preference. Yamaha recommends their oil but does not require it and as long as the oil your using meets the requirements set by the engine manufacturer you can run any brand you like.

No, let’s do it again.

I use Yamalube mainly for the warranty. I don't want using a different oil to be the reason a warranty claim is denied. And don't forget to keep the receipts
As long as it meets specifications they can't deny your warranty claim.

After reading the owners manual Yamaha claims real advantage of sticking with Yamalube, but I've seen some YouTube videos that say switch to Synthetic.

Thoughts?

Recommended for the luxury 275SD:

50CF21FA-D6EA-44A2-8507-7ADC0B4D3FB7.jpeg

As long as it meets specifications they can't deny your warranty claim.
I think they may be referring to the new (as of a year ago or so) Engine Warranty. Yamaha has been doing this on their engines in multiple powersports. Something like a lifetime warranty due to oil issues, but you need to use Yamalube products.

This would be a different story if we were shooting for long oil change cycles, or heavy use, or extreme conditions, or the Yamalube products were not readily available, or high priced. But none of those exist for us boaters. We all change annually, the motors are not run hard, the oil change kits are inexpensive, and anyone with an Amazon account can get them within two days. I see no need in shopping something that does not need to be shopped.

For the exact same reason my Yamaha sleds, get a kit each season, and my Polaris General gets their kit. The cost is not high, and I can have them quickly without driving into town. Heck, the Generac Generator, and my Exmark mowers have kits too. Someone in these hundreds of oil threads hate the easy button? Or do they just love buying Rotella in 50 gallon drums and just want to run the same weight in everything? (that would be my guess)

I think they may be referring to the new (as of a year ago or so) Engine Warranty. Yamaha has been doing this on their engines in multiple powersports. Something like a lifetime warranty due to oil issues, but you need to use Yamalube products.
Would this be similar to the vehicle lifetime powertrain warranty dealers offer if you get ALL of your service and repairs done at the dealership??

Would this be similar to the vehicle lifetime powertrain warranty dealers offer if you get ALL of your service and repairs done at the dealership??
It's all in the details. As each warranty from different MFG's cannot be compared unless you look at the fine print. As Yamaha states very clearly, you can do your own oil changes. Just document them. And there again, if you want to make a claim, you have to prove it was an oil related issue. Which is the irony in these oil threads. NOBODY, can prove oil related issues and very few can prove oil related benefits. All you hear is, I've been using blah blah blah for 20 years and never had an issue. Yup, and so has the next guy. It's nearly impossible to prove or disprove, oil is that generic. (minus the few exceptions of course) Some engine notibly perform or act different with Dyno/syn or viscosities. But in these boats, no. They are just not rung out like other true "high performance" engines.

One example, I have a Buell motorcycle. It is running a heavily modified 1200 sportster engine as the powerplant. It's super reliable, but when a Buell engine puts out nearly double the hp, and hits higher RPM, than a comparable Sporty, you know there are some crazy things going on with tolerances, compression etc. It noticably likes Synthetic oil, namely Mobil 1 V-twin. But its a performance engine. The sporty, in stock form is running at a very stable tune, and will do it for thousands of miles.

My current snowmobile is a Yamaha with a 163hp NA engine, and revs up in the 10,000 rpm range on a daily basis. It has over 12,000 miles on the clock. (Babin, you know that's plenty) but it doesn't run the tolerances of a comparable HP two stroke, so it's stable. I use Yamalube, as I sold the last one like it with over 12,000 miles on it. Is it running high performance, no, it's running as designed. But it has the ability to be tuned to over 300hp with a turbo. But Yamaha put it out the door for longevity. So I don't question the lube. If I put a turbo on it, I may go synthetic, but no need to now.

Here is Yamaha's statement:
Yamalube is the ONLY oil “built around” the unique demands, operating characteristics and applications of Yamaha engines. Collaborating with Yamaha engine designers, our global oil engineers formulate each Yamalube oil from scratch, to be engine/application-specific and to meet/exceed industry standards like JASO MA. In other words, nothing enhances the performance or protects the advanced design of a Yamaha quite like Yamalube.

Does your extended warranty cover your internal engine parts should an issue arise from faulty oil?

We are so confident we craft the highest quality powersports oil in the industry that we will warrant the performance of Yamalube in your new Yamaha vehicle’s or other qualified product's* engine for 20 years or 100,000 miles (5,000 hours of operation if no odometer), whichever comes first**.

Register your newly purchased Yamaha vehicle or other qualified non-competition use product at or before the first scheduled maintenance as specified in the applicable Owner's Manual, with an allowance of ten percent (10%) over the mileage interval, hours of operation interval, or time interval provided. Please have your vehicle's VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)/ HIN (Hull Identification Number) handy.

*Subject to customer’s compliance with all program requirements. See Qualified Product under YAMALUBE ENGINE LUBRICATION LIMITED WARRANTY ("Yamalube Advantage") for terms and conditions.
**See Yamalube Advantage for full terms and conditions (see here for registrations up to and including 8/23/2016).

Last edited:
Check out Project Farm on Oils.

It's hard to know what it does to an engine after 700 hours over 20 years, but you can see actual effect of using the oil to lubricate against friction, flow, etc. and compare the results. Ultimately I think Oils have come a LONG way in the last 50 years and any oil is good enough if you replace frequently. I use Castrol Blend High Mileage on my MR-1.

I use Yamalube in my Suzuki LTR-450. Mainly because I can buy it by the gallon.
I'll be using it when it's time to change the oil on the boat too.

I use Yamahalube because Yamaha recommends it, it comes in the oil change package (along with their oil filter), and I spend a lot of time surfing at high revs. I mean, why take a chance.

I use yamalube, its 100 hours/1 year scheduled maintenance, I don't see advantage having synthetic. I use synthetic on my land vehicles though.

Exactly only reason i stick with it, im a sponsored rider for Amsoil, and was told by the dealer same thing, the adjuster will look for any reason no to warrantied an engine, oil could be that reason.

Yamalube OIL is not actually that expensive. I just bought 4 gallons and it was ~$80 which means $20 per engine. The Yamaha OEM filters (4) put the total up to $190.

It would be interesting to hear how many payments have been made by that warranty. Not a very advertised metric.

Warranty=you have already paid=generally worthless, and when not, at least they consider your time as worthless. Yamaha does not manufacture oil. I would look to independent tests for options and ideas on what might be best.

Back