• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yet another wakesurf question

thegrapeguy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've got a 2014 212x and we actually did quite well wakesurfing the other day for the 1st time. Last season's couple sessions were fruitless, not enough weight and standard short board (5'11" x 18") had too much drag. The success this time was:

Stock ballast full
Heavy guy (200 lbs) on swim platform (port side)
2 heavyish guys in back port corner on seat (180 lbs and 160lbs)
Driver (obviously) and 2 kids sitting up front
My light wind kitesurf surf board (5'7" x 21" Fish)
10-11 mph

My question is: What simple tweeks can I make to the boat to improve the situation? With what we had we couldn't move too much out of the pocket and the heavier folks couldn't go ropeless. My friend and I attributed our success to our lighter weights (150 lbs) and our surfing skills. Little adjustments to foot placement made a lot of difference in our success. I'd like to be able to be more aggressive on the wave and move around a bit so the wave would have to become bigger and longer... I think...

I don't want to get into this with the wedge or any special plumbing just looking for a few tips. Like what about adding a bag to the ski locker? Any brand recommended (links appreciated). What size bag? Just fill it with a hose? What does adding weight upfront like this do to the wave?

What about instead of a 200 lb guy on the swim deck I get another simple bag? Like 400 lbs or something? Any brands recommended? How do you strap down a bag on the swim deck?

Thanks. Any advice appreciated...

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Simply put.... not enough weight and you have to have a wedge to get rid of the jet wash. It is a no brainer if surfing is your goal.

General rule of thumb, weight in the rear will make a taller wave with a shorter pocket. Weight up front will make a longer pocket with a shorter wave. More speed will also make a longer pocket with a shorter wave. You just need to learn to balance it. Here are a couple of videos to show what the Wake wedge does and why you need it if you are seriously wanting to surf with a Yamaha Boat.

NO Wake wedge fully ballasted:

Just add the Wedge:

thegrapeguy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I hear you about the wedge but I've read time and time again about how much a pain a wedge is. People talking about how you have to buy 2 since I have both side riders. Then don't you have to spend time in the water attaching them, adjusting them, removing them when you want to cruise? I suppose filling a sack on the rear deak and filling one in the ski locker is work. And then pumping out... I'm not that serious about it, just want to improve what I got with minimal effort.

I still don't know the effect of having more weight in back and more weight in front has. JC - you told me what each one does separately but what happens to the wave when you increase overall weight, front and back?

I also, if anyone has the time, would like some bag ideas for the swim platform in the rear and the ski locker...

Or does the wedge have more effect than without the extra weight...Thanks...