• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Your questions re: pump size, hp, speed

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You're exactly right. If these pumps are working at thier peak efficiency, adding more power is not going to make an appreciable difference in performance. You also have to remember that or very mph that you go faster. The forces working against the boat are multiplied i.e. wind resistance,water resistance, etc.. That is part of the reason, for example, why a top fuel dragster has to run 10,000 hp and look the way they do to overcome these forces and run 300+ mph. I would venture a guess that from just a wind resistance standpoint. A boat without a tower would be ever so slightly faster than one with a tower. More than likely only tenths of a mph, but still faster. The only way that I can see that a large jump in speed can be achieved is by changing the pump. As hp increases (increased velocity), pump size must increase (volume of water). The sad part is as boat size increases. The hp and pump size must increase as well. Just to keep pace with the smaller package. Eventually you end up with something like this. View attachment 14589 :D
That's an oompa loompa mechanic, isn't it? Or, this is definitely an Area 51 type mod for a Yamaha.