• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Protecting a New Boat from Theft

traderfjp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I found a marina that just remodeled and they have a tour company right by the slips (closed on off season) and security cameras every ten feet. I still want to make sure I have done everything possible to make it as hard as possible to mess with my boat. I read about gps trackers, kill switches and using metal cable to tie the boat to the slip. Has anyone taken measures to make your boat hard to steal.? What are some good measures. Thanks

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Full co
I found a marina that just remodeled and they have a tour company right by the slips (closed on off season) and security cameras every ten feet. I still want to make sure I have done everything possible to make it as hard as possible to mess with my boat. I read about gps trackers, kill switches and using metal cable to tie the boat to the slip. Has anyone taken measures to make your boat hard to steal.? What are some good measures. Thanks
Full coverage insurance, its all you need, short of tjat take it home. If anyone wants to steal it they will.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Just take your lanyard home with you. It’s a kill switch. Of course best measure it to just keep it at home lol

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You could install an additional keyed lockable battery switch and hide it somewhere around the battery or engine compartment. You could use a s.s. cable and padlock it to the cleats on the boat and dock, but the marina may not want you to do that. I have not yet felt the need to add theft deterrents here in Vermont waters, although I have considered it. We have added a WiFi outdoor security camera to our Beneteau so we can observe the weather conditions at our slip. I installed it last Summer after a big storm blew thru. The winds had partially released our furled genoa and it started flogging. A transient sailor that had taken cover at the marina saw the issue as it unfurled. He boarded our boat and hauled in the sail in the middle of the storm, saving a brand new $3k genoa sail. Never got to thank him for his actions. Anyway, I installed the camera a couple of days later and all I ever saw was our marina neighbors checking the lines on our boat occasionally, as well as the current weather conditions. By all means...Make sure you have a good insurance policy.

Screenshot_20200813-131008_Blink.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You could install a system from Siren Marine. You will able to monitor your systems and boat; they have a variety of sensors that you can install. If I were wet slipped, I would want to be able to monitor shore power, bilge and batteries regardless of theft issues. My boat's first line of defense is that it is in a rack more than 10 feet off the ground, and its second protector (more important) is that it's surrounded by much more expensive boats.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Full coverage insurance is the best thing you can do, as mentioned. I added a GPS tracker to mine as well when I had it slipped, mostly out of fear that it would somehow break free and start drifting upriver. It'll text you if it leaves its Geofence.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When I had my boat in the Marina I wasn't too worried. The they guards walk the docks every hour and cameras. When I moved the boat to the lake house I was more worried. Besides the obvious things to do I got a plastic covered SS cable and ran it through the handles and cleats on the back of the boat and wrapped it around the dock posts. I also locked the lift and had a light over the area of the dock. You could put a key pad on the lift as well if you wanted. Yes if they want it they will get it just like anything else but as the saying goes lock keep an honest man honest.

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Just take your lanyard home with you. It’s a kill switch. Of course best measure it to just keep it at home lol
So easy to bypass, and takes no time at all.

traderfjp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I was reading how one boat thief hot wired the boat. I want to make sure that can't happen.

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I was reading how one boat thief hot wired the boat. I want to make sure that can't happen.
Anything can be stolen. As others have stated, full coverage insurance that covers your loan.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Anything can be stolen. As others have stated, full coverage insurance that covers your loan.
This. You can guard against "ease of being stolen" and add devices that could help in the recovery of something stolen - but if it exists, it can be stolen. Insurance, add a few "this boat is harder to steal than someone else's" pieces, and don't worry about it.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
So easy to bypass, and takes no time at all.
then do another starter kill that’s hidden, but like you said if they want they will get it. A blinking blue light will do more to protect something than any other theft deterrent. All you need to do is make your boat look more difficult to steal than the next. This applies for homes, cars, etc.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I keep the boat at home and trailer to various launches. At home I have a locking coupler pin which I use when it's on the hitch too, a coupler ball lock that prevents someone connecting their hitch, and cables through the wheels and frame so my wheels don't "roll away". A determined criminal will be prepared and able to defeat those anti-theft measures and we have insurance for that, but it keeps the casual thief away. I use the cables in the wheels when we launch at the ramps too so someone can't easily run off with my nice aluminum rims. Only takes a few minutes when parking the trailer. I even have padlocks on my mooring cover inside the rachet pockets so someone can't just unlatch and remove. I have 4 keyed-alike padlocks - only 1 key to unlock the wheels and cover.
;)

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@traderfjp ..... I use a hidden kill switch and a 3/8 inch SS cable with a very robust lock - remember your boat just has to be better secured than the ones beside it and yes, I have replacement cost insurance. Of the three I think the cable is the best insurance as a thief would have to hover too long and make too much noise. Geez I hope I haven't jinxed myself! Even with replacement cost where the h3ll would I get another Yamaha jet boat in these times? :cool:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Having had my boat, trailer, tow vehicle and all the gear in each stolen in front of my house about 12 years ago. I have purchased and installed all of the anti theft devices available for my current boat down to all the locking latches I could, even for the cleanout hatch (if some steals your clean out plugs which cost $400 each last time I checked, you instantly have a really good looking but very expensive raft on your hands and your dealer may not have the plugs in stock). All this to make my boat less attractive to would be thieves.

I still maintain full coverage and include “anglers/fisherman’s“ coverage Which means that more than the standard $1,500 in personal possessions are covered. I lost a lot more than $1,500 in just the life vests and tubes I had onboard. With the foregoing in mind, I love my marine insurance but the claim and settlement process took and still takes a minimum of six weeks which can be an entire season for some people and unlike auto insurance companies, marine insurance companies do not loan you a boat to use in the interim, at least the insurance companies i checked with didn‘t.

traderfjp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Having had my boat, trailer, tow vehicle and all the gear in each stolen in front of my house about 12 years ago. I have purchased and installed all of the anti theft devices available for my current boat down to all the locking latches I could, even for the cleanout hatch (if some steals your clean out plugs which cost $400 each last time I checked, you instantly have a really good looking but very expensive raft on your hands and your dealer may not have the plugs in stock). All this to make my boat less attractive to would be thieves.

I still maintain full coverage and include “anglers/fisherman’s“ coverage Which means that more than the standard $1,500 in personal possessions are covered. I lost a lot more than $1,500 in just the life vests and tubes I had onboard. With the foregoing in mind, I love my marine insurance but the claim and settlement process took and still takes a minimum of six weeks which can be an entire season for some people and unlike auto insurance companies, marine insurance companies do not loan you a boat to use in the interim, at least the insurance companies i checked with didn‘t.
I'm sorry to hear your boat was taken from your house. That is horrible. There are a lot of sickies out there who steal. There is a special place in hell for these people. Thanks for sharing your story.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Even with replacement cost where the h3ll would I get another Yamaha jet boat in these times? :cool:
This right here is the biggest issue. Even if you get your cash back from insurance, the ability to find another boat is a daunting task.