• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

KABOOM!!!!

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I was on a flight from Milwaukee to Charlotte Monday morning and encountered something that I’ve never run across before in over 25 years of business travel.

We were climbing out of Milwaukee and were at about 15,000 feet when a large BOOM bounced the plane (A320) and was accompanied by a bright flash of light. There were several screams and lots of white knuckles - it was a scene. I was sitting in seat 3A and the lady sitting in 1D on the opposite side had her window shade open and the flash appeared to happen right outside her window - she was freaked out.

One of the flight attendants ran to the front of the plane and about a minute later the pilot came on and said that he thinks we were hit by lightning. Planes are designed to dissipate lighting strikes (faraday cage principle) and the electrical systems and mechanical systems appeared to be OK so we continued to Charlotte without incident.

I didn’t see this reported anywhere so maybe it was just a really close call that didn’t hit the plane but I don’t ever want to go through that again. :)

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Awesome it was only a light and sounds show.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I could certainly understand how that would have been unsettling! Glad there wasn’t any issues.

Airplanes and lighting always remind me of this scenario:
1699567845671.png

Jim

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length