• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Driveway logistics :/

Ribs77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey all,

I'm still in a years-long quest to work out all the logistics of boat ownership. I live in a city where space and moorage is tight and/or expensive (Seattle).

I'm exploring various slip options but I know that ultimately I'll need the ability to put the boat in my driveway from time to time (to clean it and do maintenance at a minimum), if not for the entire length of the boating season.

My driveway is long enough, but I'm wondering how tough it will be to back into the space. The paved width of the driveway is about 104", but there's a grassy patch on the side that could provide up to 125" if absolutely necessary. If I can't keep both wheels on the paved section, though, the boat will be slightly askew.

I'm also on a busy street which further complicates matters, but I expect that when pulling the boat on a busy day, I'd just need to park elsewhere (manageable) for a few hours until traffic dies down.

Does this space seem reasonable to fit an AR 190/210/220 into? Will it be a nightmare backing in, or only for the first few times 🤣

Thanks in advance!

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
buy your boat on a weekday (not busy in driveway street traffic). Before going home try practicing backing up in the parking lot (if you can center in parking space). Some people learn quick, some dont but you can also explore this boat dolly if you're not comfortable reversing a trailer into tight spot Force Electric Trailer Dolly – Parkit360

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Nothing worse than rushing a back up job trying to beat traffic. It frustrates others and will ultimately aggravate you more. So a 190 will have a single axle trailer and those will pivot quicker than a dual axel and I believe those will be standard on the 210 and 220. As for the tightness on the drive, you can always do some leveling and add some brick pavers to give you additional width. As @fatboyroy said, do some backing up in an empty lot. This will allow you to figure the reversing on the wheel with a trailer is opposite than without a trailer. Some empty milk jugs as a coarse will help you build confidence along with a cheap crushable in the event something goes south. Don’t over think it, we have all been there. I found that even though my Yukon XL has a back up camera, it’s significantly harder to use than the side mirrors. A little comedy below 😉

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You're not telling us anything about your experience or ability in decking up a trailer. I'm guessing you are new to this, as you wouldn't be as concerned about it if you were an old hand at this. I drove tractor trailer for many years, did landscaping with daily use of a large boat sized equipment trailer, and I have a driveway to back into that some wood be quite nervous due to possibly putting a boat into the ditch or falling off the side of the driveway as it crosses over that ditch. I'm comfortable with my ability and experience to tell you that's not going to be a problem, but fill us in on your self-assessment

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ribs77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You're not telling us anything about your experience or ability in decking up a trailer. I'm guessing you are new to this, as you wouldn't be as concerned about it if you were an old hand at this. I drove tractor trailer for many years, did landscaping with daily use of a large boat sized equipment trailer, and I have a driveway to back into that some wood be quite nervous due to possibly putting a boat into the ditch or falling off the side of the driveway as it crosses over that ditch. Uncomfortable with my ability and experience to tell you that's not going to be a problem, but fill us in on your self-assessment
Oh, sorry - I have no experience whatsoever! Will be learning from zero.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I wouldn’t sweat it to much. I, too, have a long, skinny driveway (from a road thats not very wide) that I back my trailers into. I’m guessing your trailer is a single axle, much more maneuverable than a double axle trailer. My single axle boat trailer (on my sailboat) is much easier to maneuver than my double axle axle ATV trailer and the boat trailer is actually a little bit longer than my boat trailer.

Practice first in a parking lot. After you get use to what way the boat turns when backing up, then take her home.

Jim

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh, sorry - I have no experience whatsoever! Will be learning from zero.
Hand at the bottom of the steering wheel means whatever direction you move your hand will be the same direction you will be pushing the trailer when reversing. Also try to wrap your head around that phrase - you're really pushing your trailer, so where do you need to "shove" it to fit in.

I don't know anything about this camera, it's just an example, but this may be a life saver for you:

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I've been pulling boat and snowmobile trailers for almost 40 years since I was 20 and driving a motorhome towing a jeep where the total rig is pushing 55' long for the past 5 years. Nothing phases me at this point.

My '22 275D has a 9' beam and I backed it up and parked it between two buildings that were exactly 10' apart. I had 6" on each side of the boat in one attempt. Your driveway should be a breeze compared to that with a little practice.

Here's my advice if you want to bring the boat home and park it with more confidence and making it a less stressful experience. Not only getting into your driveway, but backing it down a busy boat ramp someday.

- First, see if you can find a friend or someone with a trailer that is 20 - 22' long that will let you borrow it for a day or two. If not, it would be worth renting a U-Haul trailer for a day to do some practicing.

- Next, get yourself eight orange cones.... or do what my old man did when he was teaching me to drive and parallel park into the tightest spaces possible.... get some plywood and 2 x 4's and and create similar types of markers

- Then find yourself a large parking lot that isn't used much. That can be tough but a church parking lot usually works well or a business or shopping mall lot after hours or on a weekend.

- Set up the cones and wooden markers so they mark the length of your driveway and space them evenly. If your driveway is 50', space them about 12' apart..... you get the idea.

- Your driveway is just over 8.5' wide so start off with the cones / markers about 12' wide. We want to make it easy to start so you get a feel for it and build some confidence. Practice backing up the trailer between the cones what would be the entire length of your driveway. Try to keep the trailer as even spaced as possible between the cones.... but at first just work to keep the trailer between the cones as your backing up.

- As you get comfortable backing up the trailer and keeping it straight move the cones to 10' wide and repeat the process. Keep doing this until you get comfortable with the tighter space and can keep the trailer between the cones.

- Finally, move the cones so they are as wide as your actual driveway and repeat the process until you can back the trailer up several times in a row between the cones without hitting them.

Once you have the boat go back to the parking lot with it a few times and practice some more for different length boat ramps. I went to a lake where one of the ramps was almost as long as a football field. If you practice backing up different lengths and you plan to trailer the boat to different places, no ramp will be too difficult for you.

Backing up is the toughest / most stressful part but there are other things you need to think about as well. One is the turning radius and length of your tow vehicle and trailer combined and how wide you will need to swing making tuns, getting around gas pump islands, etc. You will want to quickly assess gas stations before you pull in to make sure there is easy access getting in and getting back out.

Over time and with some practice towing a trailer will become second nature to you and like putting on your shoes every day.

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Until recently I had a thin storage spot on the side of my house to store my boat in. It tapered from 10’ at the opening to around 8’6” at the rear. Not sure of the exact dimensions but recall measuring the distance from the guides posts (which I installed to touch the boat) to the wall and fence combined was 3”. I considered buying a an electric dolly and a trailer valet but my driveway was too steep for either. The first time I had to back my boat into the spot it took about 30 minutes, my neck and head hurt and I ended up taking a two hour nap afterwards.

one thing that made things easier initially was taping hash marks/driveway lines down the entire length of the driveway. All I had to do was see and stay (straight) down one of the hashmarks (usually the one on the drivers side) and I knew I was clearing the other side.

the best solution was a front hitch mounted to my tow vehicle. They cost about $200 and can usually be installed by an end user in 15 to 30 minutes. Consider looking for one at etrailer.com . Theirs coming with the Installation hardware and often how to videos and reviews of specific vehicles.

there is a video about half way down the page on this link of me backing the boat in years ago.

Here is another video from the driver’s seat.

Last edited:

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Until recently I had a thin storage spot on the side of my house to store my boat in. It tapered from 10’ at the opening to around 8’6” at the rear. Not sure of the exact dimensions but recall measuring the distance from the guides posts (which I installed to touch the boat) to the wall and fence combined was 3”. I considered buying a an electric dolly and a trailer valet but my driveway was too steep for either. The first time I had to back my boat into the spot it took about 30 minutes, my neck and head hurt and I ended up taking a two hour nap afterwards.

one thing that made things easier initially was taping hash marks/driveway lines down the entire length of the driveway. All I had to do was see and stay (straight) down one of the hashmarks (usually the one on the drivers side) and I knew I was clearing the other side.

the best solution was a front hitch mounted to my tow vehicle. They cost about $200 and can usually be installed by an end user in 15 to 30 minutes. Consider looking for one at etrailer.com . Theirs coming with the Installation hardware and often how to videos and reviews of specific vehicles.

there is a video about half way down the page on this link of me backing the boat in years ago.

Here is another video from the driver’s seat.

I would love to see this at the ramp lol. Great video. Would have never thought of this.

Ribs77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Really appreciate all the advice so far. Thanks, everyone!

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Get the single axle if you plan to stay in that situation the whole time you own the boat. Night and day maneuvering vs a tandem.

Ribs77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just watched the front hitch video. Very cool idea, but it won't work for me on this busy street unfortunately. Even during less busy times, I won't be able to unhook the boat from the back and then attach to the front to push in.

This is the space I'm working with. Edit: It goes about 60' back beyond where that car is, so plenty of length. But the width is a bit tight. 104" from the line just outside the rocks on the right to the edge of the paved section on the left. 125" if you include the grassy bit, which is technically the neighbor's, so I'd need to make sure they're cool with it.

driveway.jpg

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just watched the front hitch video. Very cool idea, but it won't work for me on this busy street unfortunately. Even during less busy times, I won't be able to unhook the boat from the back and then attach to the front to push in.

This is the space I'm working with. Edit: It goes about 60' back beyond where that car is, so plenty of length. But the width is a bit tight. 104" from the line just outside the rocks on the right to the edge of the paved section on the left. 125" if you include the grassy bit, which is technically the neighbor's, so I'd need to make sure they're cool with it.

View attachment 210748
That left corner being open will help you a lot. I cut that same corner a little bit getting into my driveway all the time.

@Bottom Bracket is right that the single axle will wander around more as youre backing up, but that is going to be a really difficult initial turn into that drive with a tandem axle.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think you should keep a front hitch in consideration. Your driveway doesn’t look very steep so an electric dolly maybe just what you need. Either is better than backing the trailer and boat in the old fashioned way (rear view mirrors and / or looking over your shoulder). In my case it takes a lot less time to hook up to and use the front hitch to move the trailer into position than the traditional way.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
While I don't disagree that a front hitch can simply things, what do you guys do at a boat ramp that is long and narrow?

Do you disconnect in the parking lot.... connect to the front hitch.... push the boat down the ramp... then backup the ramp and through the parking lot to park?

From my perspective unless you always boat at the same place and getting down the ramp is always easy (wide..... short.... no traffic at the ramp) practice and experience backing up a trailer in multiple situations and conditions will give you the confidence to deal with any situation when you're towing a trailer.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

View attachment 210748
is the street coming in the driveway, one way street or 2 way?