• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Upgraded…...again…

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Traded in my 2015 242LS today on a black 2018 242LS-E with 101 hours. My local dealer dropped it another $5k a week and a half ago and I couldn’t resist. :-/

This is my third boat purchase since 2019 - and my last for a LOOOOOONG time.

My reasoning this time around:

1- Using analog throttles and trying to keep them synced has become increasingly painful with the condition of my hands. I have been a service technician most of my life and then moved to a different position where I’m constantly texting so at the end of the day they get sore. The E-throttles and built in cruise control is going to help me enjoy my time on the water without pain.
2- Much bigger bimini which the admiral loves.
3- And my biggest reason is I got away from the 4/3 link timing chain so I don’t have that floating around in the back of my mind. I know that this issue only affects about 1% of the 1.8L engines but my YES contract ran out in August last year and the potential price tag of replacing an engine/s is not palatable to me. I had the timing chains inspected at the beginning of the season and was strongly considering having them proactively replaced at the beginning of next season if I kept the boat. This wouldn’t have been an upgrade to the newer 5/4 chain (this is really expensive) but just replacement 4/3 chains. This would have cost me about $4300 at the dealer and I figured I would just put that money towards a new boat instead - this 2018 checks off a lot of boxes.

I decided to get the two year YES warranty with the increased amount of electronics in the new boat. I don’t like extended warranties unless they are from the manufacturer - I’ve never purchased a third party service plan.

I installed Lateral Thrusters on it today and swapped the trailer guide poles from my old trailer to the new one. I ordered the Cobra Jet Super Magnum AK on Monday instead of Thrust Vectors and I’m really interested in seeing how different they make the boat perform.

I’ll post up some photos after I recover from a day of heat stroke……….

EndlessSummer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Traded in my 2015 242LS today on a black 2018 242LS-E with 101 hours. My local dealer dropped it another $5k a week and a half ago and I couldn’t resist. :-/

This is my third boat purchase since 2019 - and my last for a LOOOOOONG time.

My reasoning this time around:

1- Using analog throttles and trying to keep them synced has become increasingly painful with the condition of my hands. I have been a service technician most of my life and then moved to a different position where I’m constantly texting so at the end of the day they get sore. The E-throttles and built in cruise control is going to help me enjoy my time on the water without pain.
2- Much bigger bimini which the admiral loves.
3- And my biggest reason is I got away from the 4/3 link timing chain so I don’t have that floating around in the back of my mind. I know that this issue only affects about 1% of the 1.8L engines but my YES contract ran out in August last year and the potential price tag of replacing an engine/s is not palatable to me. I had the timing chains inspected at the beginning of the season and was strongly considering having them proactively replaced at the beginning of next season if I kept the boat. This wouldn’t have been an upgrade to the newer 5/4 chain (this is really expensive) but just replacement 4/3 chains. This would have cost me about $4300 at the dealer and I figured I would just put that money towards a new boat instead - this 2018 checks off a lot of boxes.

I decided to get the two year YES warranty with the increased amount of electronics in the new boat. I don’t like extended warranties unless they are from the manufacturer - I’ve never purchased a third party service plan.

I installed Lateral Thrusters on it today and swapped the trailer guide poles from my old trailer to the new one. I ordered the Cobra Jet Super Magnum AK on Monday instead of Thrust Vectors and I’m really interested in seeing how different they make the boat perform.

I’ll post up some photos after I recover from a day of heat stroke……….

I just got my cobra jet streams with fangs plus the other day and can't wait to get them on and see the difference they make.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Please let me know what you think of the handling once you have them on.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Gonna pull off the decals on each side - I prefer a clean look.

Had them install a Stoltz bow roller before it left the showroom floor.

IMG_0347.jpeg

IMG_9989.jpeg

IMG_9988.jpeg

Last edited:

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The main negative to getting a different boat is starting over again with the upgrades. On my 2015 242LS I had finished every upgrade that I wanted to do. On way back to the marina yesterday I stopped by Muntz Audio and showed them what I wanted done to upgrade the sound system:

Eight 6.5" speakers in the tub
One 10" sub
Two 8" tower speakers
Amps to power it all

Muntz sells a lot of Rockford Fosgate systems and I'm not sure that I want to go that route after having JL in my previous boat. :-/

They did offer to install JL or WetSounds if I wanted to buy the components from someone else so I may go that route.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Twinsies.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The main negative to getting a different boat is starting over again with the upgrades. On my 2015 242LS I had finished every upgrade that I wanted to do. On way back to the marina yesterday I stopped by Muntz Audio and showed them what I wanted done to upgrade the sound system:

Eight 6.5" speakers in the tub
One 10" sub
Two 8" tower speakers
Amps to power it all

Muntz sells a lot of Rockford Fosgate systems and I'm not sure that I want to go that route after having JL in my previous boat. :-/

They did offer to install JL or WetSounds if I wanted to buy the components from someone else so I may go that route.
Look around for JL, I'VE been looking for amps & subs, and potential other upgrades, and there's a HUGE swing in pricing, to the point that I may be going JL for all the additions except one.

I definitely gotta meet up to see the boat, and go over what I'm contemplating, I may have an alternative for one of your pricey add-ons you're looking at

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Look around for JL, I'VE been looking for amps & subs, and potential other upgrades, and there's a HUGE swing in pricing, to the point that I may be going JL for all the additions except one.

I definitely gotta meet up to see the boat, and go over what I'm contemplating, I may have an alternative for one of your pricey add-ons you're looking at
I got the Rockford Fosgate quote back from Muntz this afternoon and I think I can get in the JL neighborhood if I hit the sales just right with Creative Audio.

we will be out on Saturday and may head up to Norwegian Bay. Are you gonna be out and about?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Same color as well? Did you leave the stripes on the side of your boat or take them off?
Pretty much stock. I would take them off if I had time.

1000050294.jpg

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Pretty much stock. I would take them off if I had time.
I’ve read that they come off pretty easy - I’ll find out soon. :)

Do you use the solar charger? The sales guy said it’s not worth deploying........ :-/

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’ve read that they come off pretty easy - I’ll find out soon. :)

Do you use the solar charger? The sales guy said it’s not worth deploying........ :-/
I honestly don't know if they do anything. I suspect not. Lol.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@tabbibus @WiskyDan your graphics are so understated, they really blend in nicely. Mine weren't terribly loud, but I fall in the category Dan is in, I like the clean look.

They should come off quite easily, do it on a hot day. Dan, maybe we pull them on Saturday, I've still got plenty of the Goo Gone I used on mine, and a plastic-bladed scraper. Zero issues pulling mine, easy mod

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@tabbibus @WiskyDan your graphics are so understated, they really blend in nicely. Mine weren't terribly loud, but I fall in the category Dan is in, I like the clean look.

They should come off quite easily, do it on a hot day. Dan, maybe we pull them on Saturday, I've still got plenty of the Goo Gone I used on mine, and a plastic-bladed scraper. Zero issues pulling mine, easy mod
A trip to Norwegian Bay may be in my plans for Saturday then or do I need to head to your place?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A trip to Norwegian Bay may be in my plans for Saturday then or do I need to head to your place?
Plans will be determined by the wind. The in-laws are gonna be at their sites at Hahn's, and he's got a 16' SeaRay that doesn't handle Poygan when it's blowing over 10mph per AccuWeather, and 5-7 is really his comfort level. That ride over for the Sandbar Bash was not comfortable for him, and when it's blowing near 10, he'll follow me and I'll break waves and flatten a path for him to take.

If it's gonna be windy, I may take the trip up to Partridge near your hotel and slip. Either way, there's shallows we can work with. His buddy may be bringing his 240 (242?) if he can find a place to stay, or if they figure it out, so we may have another Yammie joining us. We'll definitely make it happen Cap'n! Maybe we take you & the Admiral to Boom Bay if you're feeling adventurous! Are those banjo's I hear?!?

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Plans will be determined by the wind. The in-laws are gonna be at their sites at Hahn's, and he's got a 16' SeaRay that doesn't handle Poygan when it's blowing over 10mph per AccuWeather, and 5-7 is really his comfort level. That ride over for the Sandbar Bash was not comfortable for him, and when it's blowing near 10, he'll follow me and I'll break waves and flatten a path for him to take.

If it's gonna be windy, I may take the trip up to Partridge near your hotel and slip. Either way, there's shallows we can work with. His buddy may be bringing his 240 (242?) if he can find a place to stay, or if they figure it out, so we may have another Yammie joining us. We'll definitely make it happen Cap'n! Maybe we take you & the Admiral to Boom Bay if you're feeling adventurous! Are those banjo's I hear?!?
We will be on the water tomorrow for the maiden voyage of the new boat but we aren’t staying in Fremont until the following weekend - 9/2. Just wanted to be clear on that - we changed plans a couple of times. :-/

Looks like winds out of the NNE at 14 tomorrow so Norwegian Bay should be fine. Getting to Norwegian Bay from Butte Des Morts could be a bit rough for us but we should be OK. It appears that it’s gonna be cloudy with a high of 70. Sunday looks great - sunny and 74 with “light and variable” winds. I may try to get the Admiral to go out Sunday instead - could take my time with installing the Cobra Jet fins tomorrow instead of going up tonight to do It.

Are you guys gonna be on the water Sunday??

UPDATE: Admiral says we’re going tomorrow but it may be later in the morning so I can get the Cobra Jet fins on first.

Last edited:

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@tabbibus : The stickers came off in about 30 seconds - I was shocked how easy it was. There might be another layer of adhesive that separated from the sticker but it may just be a ridge of wax/buildup instead. I was able to knock down some of the “ridge” with Goo Gone but I think I need something a little stronger. I will work on on this a bit more this weekend and report back.

I do like the cleaner look:
IMG_0403.jpeg

Outline “ridge” after sticker removal?
71476432696__FC53DA12-E6C9-4233-8B08-CD4F66A3C625.jpeg

Put the Cobra Jet Super Magnum AK’s on and there’s definitely an improvement in the low speed handling when compared to the Thrust Vectors that I had on my first two boats. After being out for a couple hours yesterday, I think that my steering wheel isn’t synced up with my rudder so I need to look at that.

71476411806__1AF9AC5A-A384-4122-A272-DDCBC64B0CEE.jpeg