• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Whassup whassup?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's likely a corporate suggestion to keep the lines moving. I looked up the capacity to legally carry in Florida at one point and recall it being around 50 gallons.
With a little Google research, I guess it is a law in some states. Other than ND, it is a law in NY as well. (someone has to enforce it, and employees will not) No container over 5 gallons and a limit of four in NY

Transporting Gasoline and Diesel Fuel (ny.gov)

And on a national level, Costco posts that they abide by the International Fire Code (which I believe is a suggestion and not a law, otherwise they would not even make those bigger ones)

Costco attendants are instructed to enforce all provisions of the International Fire Code (IFC) regarding filling portable containers:

International Fire Code (IFC) 2019 Edition

2304.4.1 Approved containers required

Class I, II and IIIA liquids shall not be dispensed into a portable container unless such container does not exceed a 6-gallon (22.7L) capacity, is listed or of approved material and construction, and has a tight closure with a screwed or spring loaded cover so designed that the contents can be dispensed without spilling. Liquids shall not be dispensed into portable cargo tanks.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I didn’t realize how much of a PIA shipping compressed gas was until the last month. We use fluorine/neon gas as a consumable in an excimer laser that we sell and high purity helium ito flush the laser source during service. We have certification to ship this type of stuff (hazmat) but our customers don’t so we have to handle shipping both ways.
I occasionally buy a lighter for my cigars, and without fail, it's a 2 week shipping time, minimum. It's dumb, because they fill it enough to verify that it works, but they can no longer ship it as "empty", therefore they're stuck until a hazmat certified driver can pick it up.

Certain chemicals that seem innocuous are sometimes subject to checks as well. I tried to pick up 3 bags of a specific fertilizer from Costco, to maintain and prepare for a wedding we were hosting, and the runaround and hassle had me SO pissed off.

I'm around enough Costco's that I could have gotten double the amount, with no hassle, by stopping at each one and buying 2 bags at each stop. Nobody liked me when I pointed this out, but common sense and logic are damn near superpowers nowadays