• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

‘18 242 LSE stock speakers adding midship speakers

Advance

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Have you put together a parts list yet @Advance ???
I have the pair of Polks for mid installation. I’ve been convinced on buying an amp to drive the 8 x 6.5” speakers and the two crappy tweeters. I’ll hold off on a sub. Want to see how this setup sounds first.
Cannot locate a walkthrough to do a self install. So many say it’s easy. Anyone know of one for a Yammy? Suggestions for wiring needed and where to buy?

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have the pair of Polks for mid installation. I’ve been convinced on buying an amp to drive the 8 x 6.5” speakers and the two crappy tweeters. I’ll hold off on a sub. Want to see how this setup sounds first.
Cannot locate a walkthrough to do a self install. So many say it’s easy. Anyone know of one for a Yammy? Suggestions for wiring needed and where to buy?
I'm thinking the same thing. Don't you have tower speakers? We have the same boat....

When we bought ours, it didn't have them. The brochure said the E-Series had tower speakers so we pushed our dealer. To their credit, they called Yamaha and got them and installed them. So I've already got 8 speakers and adding 2 more means 10. I'm struggling with the amp decision.

Advance

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm thinking the same thing. Don't you have tower speakers? We have the same boat....

When we bought ours, it didn't have them. The brochure said the E-Series had tower speakers so we pushed our dealer. To their credit, they called Yamaha and got them and installed them. So I've already got 8 speakers and adding 2 more means 10. I'm struggling with the amp decision.
Factory doesn’t have the large tower speakers. They have built in little tweeters in the tower. Maybe 2” in diameter.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Factory doesn’t have the large tower speakers. They have built in little tweeters in the tower. Maybe 2” in diameter.
Yeah, I have the tweeters plus JBL towers. As I said above, their brochure was wrong and stated the towers were included. Talked my dealer into installing them before I signed on the dotted line.

I just looked and those are expensive speakers! Feel better about the deal I got!

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah, I have the tweeters plus JBL towers. As I said above, their brochure was wrong and stated the towers were included. Talked my dealer into installing them before I signed on the dotted line.

I just looked and those are expensive speakers! Feel better about the deal I got!
wow dude. nice win! My brochure showed some hot chicks inside the boat but as much as I tried I could not get them to throw in some chicks.

Advance

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Have you put together a parts list yet @Advance ???
Install happening this weekend for the 2018 242 LSE. I went beyond the budget by purchasing the 2 6.5” speakers and two amps so far, still need sub(s).

8-channel amp to power 8 Polk 6.5” (6 stock, 2 new ones to match originals) speakers and the two original tweeters built-in the tower. Signature Series 8 Channel Marine Amplifier

Monoblock amp for subwoofer(s) - 2,250 watt. Signature Series Monoblock Marine Amplifier

I purchased more than what I needed, but wanted to have plenty of amp power for possible speaker replacement (I am horrible at installations, but figure switching out speakers would be easy) down the road. Also, the reason I had for picking Fusion was that it was available to purchase now (in-stock) and I’ve heard enough positives about them.

QUESTIONS REMAINING BEFORE THIS WEEKEND...

1) what subwoofer(s)? I haven’t told the installer I bought the monoblock amp, so he may not have time to install the monoblock and subs this weekend anyways. Any recommendations? Looking to locate quickly, i.e. In-stock at local West Marine store, fast online delivery. But, if it takes longer, I could always have installer come back for just the sub installs. Should I get one or two? Size? Please don’t recommend a sub that’s back ordered. I.e. JL, Wetsounds

2) 8-channel amp - how should this be set up considering the speakers? Could all 8 6.5” speakers, two tweeters and the new sub(s) all be powered from it? If so, I could return the monoblock amp. I don’t mind keeping it, but returning it would help with the budget that I have blown up.

3) Batteries - I have two batteries, one dedicated to house, the other for start. I have 3 Bank x 15 Amps on-board charger. It’s charged up 24/7 while on dock. Currently using 2 banks for the two existing batteries. I could increase to another battery, but that’s more expense and complicates the current House/Start switch that came with boat. To date, I have never had an issue with the battery dying. Do I need another battery considering these two new amps?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
From an installer perspective, one of the things that pisses you off the most is a customer showing up asking for more stuff to be installed than we scheduled you for. Definitely bring this up before hand and offer to bring back boat a second time, if he prefers.

You could run all 8 speakers in pairs to each channel, that will give ~70watts per. that leaves 5&6. 7&8 to be bridged for 2 woofers.

You should be fine with batteries.

Advance

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
From an installer perspective, one of the things that pisses you off the most is a customer showing up asking for more stuff to be installed than we scheduled you for. Definitely bring this up before hand and offer to bring back boat a second time, if he prefers.

You could run all 8 speakers in pairs to each channel, that will give ~70watts per. that leaves 5&6. 7&8 to be bridged for 2 woofers.

You should be fine with batteries.
If he doesn’t have time to do the extra amp or subs he can come back or I can hire someone else. Not a big deal. I texted him already. Strange times with supply. I had to make a decision last night on ordering online so the equipment is here for him.

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
just curious here....
my ar240 doesn't have and i haven't ridden in a model with the factory tower tweeters...do they add much? are they worth keeping connected? or will the new helm speakers give you more sound? i added the helm speakers a month ago, seem great in driveway, but haven't had out on water yet.

i don't have the swim deck speakers, but added towers....and 1 sub....6 channel amp with 8-6.5" running on 4 ch, sub bridged on 2 ch.

i'm still playing with zones..currently have z1 = helm/towers, z2 = front/rear

Maineiac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You should check out crutchfield.com. They have marine 10” subs starting at $150 and they have several in stock right now. I’m not sure why you’re so against JL or Wet Sounds, it’s good quality that isn’t much more than other brands especially if you catch a sale.

Advance

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You should check out crutchfield.com. They have marine 10” subs starting at $150 and they have several in stock right now. I’m not sure why you’re so against JL or Wet Sounds, it’s good quality that isn’t much more than other brands especially if you catch a sale.
I am not against JL or WS. I don’t want to wait for them to be delivered to me. Several models are sold out. I’m looking for a product today.

Advance

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
just curious here....
my ar240 doesn't have and i haven't ridden in a model with the factory tower tweeters...do they add much? are they worth keeping connected? or will the new helm speakers give you more sound? i added the helm speakers a month ago, seem great in driveway, but haven't had out on water yet.

i don't have the swim deck speakers, but added towers....and 1 sub....6 channel amp with 8-6.5" running on 4 ch, sub bridged on 2 ch.

i'm still playing with zones..currently have z1 = helm/towers, z2 = front/rear
The tweeters do not add much at all. They are located slightly behind the captains chairs. Bad design. Probably why they stopped including them. I do recommend speakers on swim deck. Nice to have them while hanging out back there. But you having cans, I’m sure you can hear just fine.

Maineiac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am not against JL or WS. I don’t want to wait for them to be delivered to me. Several models are sold out. I’m looking for a product today.
Can’t help with local stock today but you may have luck calling some car audio places locally that also do marine stuff because they may have stock on their shelf you could just buy. Otherwise, crutchfield and Amazon have 2 day shipping which is pretty fast and with crutchfield I believe you can pay extra to have it sent overnight.

Advance

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If I were to get two subs, where should they be installed on a 242? I am thinking the bench seat(s). Should they both be installed on the same bench or one on each?

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i haven't seen/noticed many pics of dual sub installs on here..
i put a single 10" kicker free air in the starboard bench seat facing port...towards bow to save storage space.
port bench on my boat would mean relocate the battery switches. maybe one in starboard bench, one under port cup holders?
i wanted it facing the captain's chair, but that plane is too curved.
not sure if it gets the right amount (or too much) air in this location..
many have installed singles under the throttles, but i thought it would create deflection with the 6.5 above.
1621002875428.jpeg
1621002900256.jpeg

Advance

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Nice jthackman! Looks great.

Advance

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry admin. I meant to placed this post on the thread I created.

Power connector on Fusion HU was cut. RCA’s severed. Where do we get a replacement?

Attachments

Advance

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I will provide final cost at the end of the install. But, I have increased what I figured to spend. I did go with 2 Fosgate M2 10” subs, identical to OEM Polk 6.5” for mid ship, Fusion 8 channel amp Signature Series (SG-DA8200) and a Fusion Monoblock Signature Series 2250 watts amp. Amps to go behind helm. I’ll take photos of that later. I didn’t want subs to go where there was a lot of potential water. One sub is in battery compartment under rear bench seat and another in some dead space sort of in front of anchor location. I saw someone else do that here on this forum. Great spot. It does have a little curve, but the sub is on well.

Attachments