• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

08 sx230 ho mechanical help needed

Jonathan Tucker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good thing I asked. I'll pull the airbox today. The Yamaha mechanic I spoke with yesterday agrees with you. He said that last bolt should accessable once I remove the airbox. Thanks again for your help!

Jonathan Tucker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks everyone. I was able to make the repair. Removing the airbox, and support bracket, helped alot. I advise replacing the inner seal (#31 on parts diagram) while its exposed.

Lookingforajetboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone. I was able to make the repair. Removing the airbox, and support bracket, helped alot. I advise replacing the inner seal (#31 on parts diagram) while its exposed.
You all seem to know what is what on these boats. Bought my first jet boat a few months ago..an 05 ar230. Trying to figure out what to do about a leak in the rear compartment where the clean out tube are. The parts diagrams do not help understand where the shsft goes into the fiberglass thing and how it is sealed.20210305_113407.jpg20210305_113342.jpg

Lookingforajetboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You all seem to know what is what on these boats. Bought my first jet boat a few months ago..an 05 ar230. Trying to figure out what to do about a leak in the rear compartment where the clean out tube are. The parts diagrams do not help understand where the shsft goes into the fiberglass thing and how it is sealed.View attachment 144757View attachment 144758
Steve again. One pic shows a nice clean connection. The other one is gooped up and is the leaky one. Any help on this?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Lookingforajetboat, have you identified the source of the water in the bilge?

If not, while on the trailer, jack the bow up or park with the stern down hill then put a water hose in the bilge, fill with water and watch for where it runs out. While doing this you want to be careful not to get water into the engines.

Lookingforajetboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Lookingforajetboat, have you identified the source of the water in the bilge?

If not, while on the trailer, jack the bow up or park with the stern down hill then put a water hose in the bilge, fill with water and watch for where it runs out. While doing this you want to be careful not to get water into the engines.
Yes the water is coming in where my hand is in the first pic. We backed the boat into the water and identified this as the source. Rear compartment under the cover at the clean out tube.
Now trying to understand how to best fix it....slop some sealant on it...fiberglass around it...take it all apart and then what? Thanks Bruce.

Lookingforajetboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes the water is coming in where my hand is in the first pic. We backed the boat into the water and identified this as the source. Rear compartment under the cover at the clean out tube.
Now trying to understand how to best fix it....slop some sealant on it...fiberglass around it...take it all apart and then what? Thanks Bruce.
The mechanic I had look at it with me said it could wait until after the boat season. I have a trickle charger on it as it is in the water at the marina most of the time. Someone told me constant water can rot the fiberglass...myth or true?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Lookingforajetboat, I would pull the jet pump and see what it looks like from inside the pump housing. Sealant on the wet side would be more effective than on the dry side. Any work inside the pump will need to be smooth to maintain efficiency.

Lookingforajetboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Lookingforajetboat, I would pull the jet pump and see what it looks like from inside the pump housing. Sealant on the wet side would be more effective than on the dry side. Any work inside the pump will need to be smooth to maintain efficiency.
Thanks Bruce. The parts diagrams I have been looking at do not very clearly show this part of the boat. Any recommendations of a better source, maybe one with pictures?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks Bruce. The parts diagrams I have been looking at do not very clearly show this part of the boat. Any recommendations of a better source, maybe one with pictures?
There is a video link showing how to pull the pump in this thread https://jetboaters.net/threads/yamaha-jet-pump-disassembly-from-grant-browne-youtube.446/

This thread has pictures of the parts after pulling.

It is pretty simple, disconnect steering and shift cables, remove four bolts, you will likely need to gently use a pry bar at the pry points that are built into the pump. Once it is out you will be able to see the outside of the source of your leak.

You might want to take a look up through the intake grate while laying under the boat first.