• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1.5L Rotax 4-TEC Reliability?

JeremyR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
In the process of buying a 2017 Chaparral 203 VRX. It has about 43 hours on it, how long do these engines last? It's going to get serviced every season as it should so there's no question about keeping up on the maitenance. I've heard a lot of different stories about how reliable they are and am trying to get some more info.

genwrx

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
If it has the supercharger it may need a rebuild, I think at 200/250 hours, I'd have to double check, I don't really remember. Other than that I haven't had any issues with my rotax. I'm around 70 hours, is probably due for an oil change but hopefully I can wait till after summer.

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
The latest BRP engines are "maintenance free" and claim not to need the SC's rebuilt. I'm not sure when these engines first came out, tho'.

JeremyR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
If it has the supercharger it may need a rebuild, I think at 200/250 hours, I'd have to double check, I don't really remember. Other than that I haven't had any issues with my rotax. I'm around 70 hours, is probably due for an oil change but hopefully I can wait till after summer.
Any idea about the cost of a supercharger rebuild?

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length

Steve Risley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
We had ours rebuilt / serviced at the 100hr. Mark (thought it was 100hrs. Vs. 200hrs.) and it cost us about $1,200. Much more costly than anticipated.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
If it's a MY2017 you should have a maintenance free supercharger. Easy way is to look under the engine plastic covers, directly on the cylinder head, if the engine model ends with AF or greater, than it's a maintenance free supercharger.
Only maintenance recommended would be change oil, filter & spark plugs in the spring before resuming boating season, then drive it like you stole it. Rotax have made more than 800000 of those 3 cylinders 1.5 liters engines since the early 2000, should be fairly reliable by now

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I think a new Maintenance free supercharger is almost the same price, so I would replace instead of rebuilding it.
420 893 563

Paul Dufault

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
I am loving my 2020 255open with twin 200's. 83 hrs so far. bought it with 35hrs. Did my 50 hr. maintenance and want to understand what I should do beyond the 100hr maintenance. I am relieved to know that the supercharger is Maintenance free. However, the guy that did my 50 hr said I will need to rebuild the "water pumps" at 100. any feedback would be appreciated

hvluve

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
I am loving my 2020 255open with twin 200's. 83 hrs so far. bought it with 35hrs. Did my 50 hr. maintenance and want to understand what I should do beyond the 100hr maintenance. I am relieved to know that the supercharger is Maintenance free. However, the guy that did my 50 hr said I will need to rebuild the "water pumps" at 100. any feedback would be appreciated
You will also need to rebuild the supercharge @200hrs.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you are keeping up with your pumps (pump oil changes as needed/yearly) you should not need to rebuild at 100 hours. These are easy to rebuild as there are only a few pieces that are pressed in place. I had not heard of those being rebuilt preemptively.

good_libby

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We had ours rebuilt / serviced at the 100hr. Mark (thought it was 100hrs. Vs. 200hrs.) and it cost us about $1,200. Much more costly than anticipated.
Where have you been having yours sent our dor rebuild? I've looked all over for the 1.5L 4 tec 250hp supercharger rebuild vendor but haven't found one