• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1.8L Ribbon Delete (2017 212X)

HARY5150

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Isn’t there two different size rings. I have a California engine and I think it’s bigger if I remember right when I did some research. I’m planning on doing it this winter so I haven’t bought the kit yet. I also read here somewhere about the intake mount separating is that only on supercharger models.
I believe I have the larger one also, did you ever find the correct one

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I meant to update after doing mine. Couple differences, I didn't remove the snorkels and I didn't use the inserts. Just pulled out the ribbon and rubber ring all together and then reassembled. With just me on board with 50 gallons of fuel, I got to 49mph at 7600ish rpms. So, just 1 mph increase for me but it does seem to accelerate better out of the hole.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I removed mine this summer. Negligible difference in rpm or speed. Maybe another 100 rpm.

HARY5150

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I meant to update after doing mine. Couple differences, I didn't remove the snorkels and I didn't use the inserts. Just pulled out the ribbon and rubber ring all together and then reassembled. With just me on board with 50 gallons of fuel, I got to 49mph at 7600ish rpms. So, just 1 mph increase for me but it does seem to accelerate better out of the hole.
Did you replace the air filter with a spark arrestor type or just leave the stock one in?

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe I have the larger one also, did you ever find the correct one
I plan on doing this over the winter and haven’t followed up further. I think you have a different engine so you need to look it up and get the Yamaha part number first I think then go from there.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

HARY5150

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So if do a ribbon delete, do you need different air filters? My understanding was that you did. I bought K & M filters but maybe I don't really need them. I'm going to do the ribbon delete anyways and I've got the filters so I'll put them in too.
which K&N air filter did you get part number please?

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did the ribbon delete and kept the stock air filter. Gained about 200 rpm, little if any top end speed, but hole shots are definitely improved. IMO, the mod is worth the small investment in time and money.

SupetD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
We have a 2014 212SS with twin 1.8 motors. I did the ribbon delete and snorkel removal on both motors today, don’t want to do that again. I got the ribbon replacement rings from Island Racing, ordered on Tuesday and they arrived on Friday, $35 and free shipping! Did the port motor first, no problems except removing the snorkel. The snorkel appeared to be glued in place and was VERY hard to get out. The mushroom mounting tab at the tip of the snorkel would not pull loose, ended up just cutting it off.

The starboard side started smoothly until I started to take out the 4 12mm bolts from the spacer ahead of the ribbon. Facing the engine, the bottom left bolt turned about 1/4 turn then the brass insert in the plastic started to spin, Yamaha put WAY to much loctite on the bolts!!! I had already removed the other three bolts and was able to rotate the spacer to the left enough to remove the ribbon and install the new ring. I rotated the spacer back in place and installed the three remaining bolts. Hopefully between having three good bolts, the rigidity of the spacer, and the rubber O ring I won’t have a leak!!! If I do have a leak about the only option I can think of would be to run a bead of silicone, the gap would be small so there would be little chance of the silicone being drawn in to the engine.

Didn’t have time to test after completing everything, will try to go out tomorrow. Definitely wouldn’t want to do this job again, never had an engine with an air cleaner so hard to remove!!!

I took pictures but can’t figure out how to post them from my iPad.

SupetD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Finally got around to testing after the ribbon delete, weather has been bad here, cool and lots of rain.

After removing the airbox snorkels I couldn’t tell any difference in the sound levels from the engines.

After several runs on smooth water with no wind I figure I’ve gained about 200 rpm and about 2 mph on top end. Prior to the ribbon delete I was running roughly 7500 rpm and 57 mph with two people onboard and about 50% fuel. After ribbon delete I’m running about 7700 rpm and 59 mph. Acceleration is noticeably improved overall, midrange acceleration is much better, idle to plane seems quicker but I didn’t time this.

Was the effort involved to do the ribbon delete worth it? Even though I did get an improvement I don’t think I would do this mod again, 2 mph gain just really didn’t justify the effort. I plan on leaving the ribbons and snorkels out, no sense in putting them back now.

Thank you to everyone who posted tips and photos on how to make this job easier!!!

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Lots of folks are asking about the impact of doing the ribbon delete. Keep in mind, the lower your elevation, the less of an impact that it will have. Higher elevation jet boaters will feel a difference in their holeshot and will definitely see an increase in RPM's and top-end speed. I think it's minimal risk to not have the ribbon in place... I'm "that guy" and used the anti-backfire air filters, but even the stock air filters aren't very restrictive (so I wouldn't personally remove them).

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you see any danger running like that
Zero known issues, this has been done in 1.8s as long as those have been around in skis, so over a decade.
Same thing does not do anything in MR-1s, those seem well enough vented as is. The old Group K published on that.

--

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’m at 1500 ft of elevation @sysinu. Roughly how much difference do you think it will make? Thx

Jack Long

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Today's computer controlled engines are going to alert you to any problems that might cause a potential backfire well in advance.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m at 1500 ft of elevation @sysinu. Roughly how much difference do you think it will make? Thx
Probably similar to others, maybe 80% of Sea Level. My results are at 750ft (+200-300rpm)