• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1.8L Ribbon Delete (2017 212X)

ken4motion

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Lots of folks are asking about the impact of doing the ribbon delete. Keep in mind, the lower your elevation, the less of an impact that it will have. Higher elevation jet boaters will feel a difference in their holeshot and will definitely see an increase in RPM's and top-end speed. I think it's minimal risk to not have the ribbon in place... I'm "that guy" and used the anti-backfire air filters, but even the stock air filters aren't very restrictive (so I wouldn't personally remove them).
So I'm ASL over here on LI, NY...not worth my time and effort to do this on my 190?

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Just deleted the ribbons on my twin TR-1’s, I envy you 1.8 guys. Water test coming, not expecting huge gains but it would be nice if my scraped up arms and hands preceded by hour or so of cursing in my driveway were worth a mph or two top end.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I'm ASL over here on LI, NY...not worth my time and effort to do this on my 190?
You should gain about 200 RPM on top and a nice boost midrange, totally worth doing. If for some reason you hate it - just put it back.

--

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Why would anyone hate it? and is there a link on how to remove them ?

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Why would anyone hate it? and is there a link on how to remove them ?
That is the very subject of this thread :p. Go back to my first post on this thread and it is a in detail step by step. :winkingthumbsup"

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Thanks man, Im gonna pass on this mod. I have never been one to run my toys at full out max RPMs for very long. To me all yer doing is wasting fuel and taking hours off the motors. I know theres people that will say they are engineered to go way beyond that but IM willing to bet most failures dont come at mid range rpms, lol. I used to hack/tune older turbo Audis and got spoiled with mods that actually added +50 hp. A 2 mph difference at TOP rpm is not something I will experience much but keep up the good work. 50 MPH in my boat is good enough for where I run.

Jack Long

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When I tested it the other day, I noticed better gas mileage as well!
90 degree day and Full gear, full tank of gas and me I ran solid 53. The last time I had 53 was an empty boat and temp was in the 40's when I bought it. Will test more this weekend.

I don't run full speed either. But the hole shot and mid-range are great.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks man, Im gonna pass on this mod. I have never been one to run my toys at full out max RPMs for very long. To me all yer doing is wasting fuel and taking hours off the motors. I know theres people that will say they are engineered to go way beyond that but IM willing to bet most failures dont come at mid range rpms, lol. I used to hack/tune older turbo Audis and got spoiled with mods that actually added +50 hp. A 2 mph difference at TOP rpm is not something I will experience much but keep up the good work. 50 MPH in my boat is good enough for where I run.
The idea is to allow the engine to breath easier. The benefits are (that was already noted) better hole shot, better mid-range, better top end, better fuel economy. I believe this is the only mod that does not cost anything but an hour of your time and keeps paying you back everytime the boat is running. Sounds like a no brainer IMO. I did it!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Anyone have the dimensions of the spacers? O.D., I.D., and width? I am just going to make my own.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Is there any reason not to just pull the ribbon and put it back together without it, No spacer ?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is there any reason not to just pull the ribbon and out it back together without it, No spacer ?
You typically want a smooth flow of air in the intake track for best performance.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I might opt to keep the snorkels on the off chance there was water in my bilge, Dont they help to prevent ingestion

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Is there any reason not to just pull the ribbon and put it back together without it, No spacer ?
I used the spacer because why not, they aren't that expensive and logic would say a smooth air flow is better. However, some use the spacer and some don't- the reports of results doesn't seem to be any different between the ones that use the spacer and the ones that don't. Both typically report 200-300 more rpm regardless of the spacer or not.

One thing to be very clear about though is if you don't use the spacer DO NOT leave the rubber gasket in there, remove that as well - there was a report going around of someone leaving it in there and it got sucked up in the intake.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I might opt to keep the snorkels on the off chance there was water in my bilge, Dont they help to prevent ingestion
Someone can contradict me and teach me something, but yeah I suppose the snorkel would route water to the bottom of the air filter housing rather than in the top but I mean if the water is that high that it is going in the air box intake - you already completely screwed. Only thing I can think of is moisture in the air gets collected in the snorkel and drips to the bottom. But I just don't see how they could be of much benefit. But if someone knows something different feel free to school me.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That snorkel does not change the location or height of air filter box air entry/opening. Once you have water in the box it doesn’t matter how it got there I would think.

I believe the snorkels are a sound buffle/ resonator.

HARY5150

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I took my ribbon out did not put a spacer in and I didn't touch my air box. I am getting 200-300 more rpm my acceleration has improved gas mileage has improved, I can fight through the heavy chop a little easier. Free improvement can't beat that!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I tackled it this weekend. Both air boxes came right out no issues. The snorkels were hardly glued in and I had them both out in 3 minutes. Ribbons came out with some needle nose pliers. Overall a very simple mod at least for my boat. We will see the results this coming weekend.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length