• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1 week in Salt Water

AR240THEO

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2020 AR240 and planing to go to Bimini Bahamas. I am under the impression that the boat has to be cleaned and engines flash with fresh water after everyday of use in salt water. What happens when I am in the bahamas with the boat in the water for a week?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It will be fine. Folks do it every year.

Clean and spray it down with ‘something’ before and after. Some will stop at a fresh water lake on the drive home and run a couple hours of fresh water through the system to get a better flush than using the hose.

Others can chime in on what the ‘something’ above actually is. I don’t have personal experience on the various solutions/chemicals.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
CRC 656 is good for the metal bits. I’d recommend a flush with some type of salt dissolving agent afterwards. I use RO membrane cleaner (I have it available to me) but Salt Away, vinegar, citric acid, anything acidic really that won’t harm aluminum.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Salt Off from West Marine; it is cheaper than Salt-Away. Until 01 MAR, it is on sale for ~$42 a gallon. With either product you do need to buy the mixer/dispenser (goes in between the flush hose and the flush fitting on the boat).

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2020 AR240 and planing to go to Bimini Bahamas. I am under the impression that the boat has to be cleaned and engines flash with fresh water after everyday of use in salt water. What happens when I am in the bahamas with the boat in the water for a week?
No concerns for a week, but I would try to protect and spray electronic connections, those can take a beating in no time.
flush the engines when you get back, better yet - run the hell out of it in fresh water ASAP, what we do.
the bigger issue is the trailer if it’s painted not galvanized, again dipping it in fresh water and then dousing in salt-something is about as good as it gets.
I’m a huge fun of CRC656 - I buy it by a gallon and spray the shit out of the trailer and all metal all the time. I have no rust anywhere.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Is there a separate water hook-up to flush the intercooler? When I installed the SHVO on my 192 I gave it a dedicated water line for flushing. Was told that's a very intricate part of flushing and could be done while the boat is in water. Wasn't sure if the larger boat had this?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Only the Yamaha 192, 195 and 275 series are supercharged, everything else is N/A. If you install tow ball valves you can flush while on the water. The tow ball valves cutoff water from the cooling pickup in the jet pump. The flush port tee's into the cooling line but is not on the same side of the ball valve as the main cooling pickup feed.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I wouldn't worry about it, that's what the anodes are for. One thing that can expedite corrosion is extended time in the water with shore power plugged in, as many marinas have problems with stray current.

Enjoy your trip.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't worry about it, that's what the anodes are for. One thing that can expedite corrosion is extended time in the water with shore power plugged in, as many marinas have problems with stray current.

Enjoy your trip.
Yes. However, one issue with the OEM anodes is those are magnesium. Need to be replaced with zinc in salt, at least for the long run, wouldn;t do that for the week in Bimini.
As always, @Cobra Jet Steering LLC is a great resource, I like to check his posts on anodes and galvanic corrosion issue in the pump/wear ring albeit new boats should have that last issue solved.

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@swatski It's the class of 2020 same questions new students LOL. I read it but doing a search would reveal all sorts of previously discussed information on most of the questions people ask .
I referred people on a facebook page yesterday to a common question about tube spray and how to get the most out of your tubing experience with very little expense. The reply was asking me to go find it because there was too many posts on the subject. Imagine that!

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Just use one of these and you'll be fine while the boat is docked