• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

10-hour maintenance

Belleville_Boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just hit my 10 hour mark, is the suggested dealer maintenance something you think is worth it? What are you you guys being charged for it, it's coming out to be just under $300 plus parts (if it needs any, but rare i'm being told).

Last edited:
If you're remotely handy, it's a pretty easy DIY job. I spent around $210 on equipment and materials, about $130 of which was a one time expense. And if you already have some of this stuff, it's even cheaper:
- Oil/Liquid Extractor
- Torque Wrench
- Oil Filter Wrench
- Grease Gun

You don't need a torque wrench. The manual states you can put the spark plugs in hand tight, and then turn 1/4 to 1/2 turn...and use anti-seize on the threads.

I second doing it yourself, you going to save money and learn more about your boat. I didn't spend that much, only about $100, but I had everything but the vacuum pump, oil, filters, spark plugs, and shop supplies (lubes and greases). But the charge for this from any dealer, if the do the work and do it correctly, is worth the money. It will take you half a day to do it right. Change plugs, warm engine on hose, change oil and filter, warm other engine, change oil and filter, lube intermediate housing, lube linkages, check hose clamps and fastneners in engine compartment, done. Now do the stuff the dealer isn't doing, like checking trailer items. You will be the best mechanic your boat ever sees!

My service manual has torque recommendations for the oil filter (18 Nm) and spark plugs (25 Nm), so I used it for that. Also, the OEM NGK spark plugs have an anti-seize coating, adding anti-sieze is not recommended per the mfg. Not sure if all this is specific to my model/engine.

Having said all that I recommend getting a hold of your service manual if you plan to DIY it.

NGK has recommended against the use of anti seize all along...even when their plugs were breaking! Use anti-seize, it will make your life easier. If you want to use a torque wrench, go for it. It isn't nexessary and it was hard for me to adopt this philosophy because I am a by the book guy.

It is really easy. When I did mine my 6 year old daughter helped me hold the funnel and I taught her how to check the oil level. When we were done she knew how to identify the air filter, oil filter, spark plugs, dipstick, and the supercharger. I helped her out of the boat and she skipped along on her merry way to chase butterflies. It's a great way to get familiar with your boat.

I believe the oil change is just part of the 10 hour service. As I understand, there is a check list of items the dealer is required to check and address if needed. I know many people do the oil change themselves, but it would be nice to get a copy of the checklist so we can document we did the full check and avoid any possible arguments with Yamaha if a warranty claim is required. Just my 2cents worth.

They did rattle off everything they check and he was reading it from a list so if I can get the list ill throw it up on the site. He mentioned they check the compression and put it on the computer to verify everything is still set to factory settings and will tune it if it's off at all. Along with the standard routine of greasing the fittings, oil change, yadda yadda..

Yes. There is a check list. I can't remeber if it is in the owners manual or not.

Ok, can someone explain to me why spark plugs would need to be changed at 10 hours?

Ok, can someone explain to me why spark plugs would need to be changed at 10 hours?

They really don't. I did it so I could put anti-sieze on them. I replaced them because you have a greater risk of snapping a plug if it has been used before (the ring is alraedy compressed on used plugs).

I don't think the spark plugs need it. I did it but they looked perfectly fine and were gapped just fine as well. I did it anyhow, but kept them all for the next change. I'm betting this was a 2/stroke old 4/stroke 10,000 RPM holdover requirement when they were more sensitive with plugs. This is just my $.02 though.

There's a complete checklist in the Service Manual for the 2012 24' boats., I don't recall what's in the Owners Manual. For spark plugs it actually doesn't mention ever changing them all out, just 'check, clean, adjust' at various intervals.

My first maintenance came 3 years after it was new. The guy I bought it from used it one season then stored it for two years, figured I would just be pro-active. I'm sure I would have been fine not changing them out, they were barely used.

Last edited:
The plugs just need to be checked. I can do this all myself but I also want the dealer to check the incorrect voltage readings on the conexxt screen, replace some missing bolts on the trailer and adjust the throttles so they're even. For just under $300 I will have them do the 1st on at least and check anything else that needs checking. Here is the check list from the service manual.

Attachments

It is amazing that my dealer wants $900 to perform the 10hr service. Most of it is a visual check of operation or damage. I will do this myself and documents the hell out of it with photos and notes.

It is amazing that my dealer wants $900 to perform the 10hr service.

Do they give you free kisses, hugs and a reach around with that?
At LEAST a cigarette when they are finished...right :)

Do they give you free kisses, hugs and a reach around with that?
At LEAST a cigarette when they are finished...right :)

LOL!!! You would think... And to think they are cheaper than the shop closer to me...No way I am paying $900 for two oil changes and a "it looks like it works to me" inspection...

Back