• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

10 Hour Service on AR190

Mitchell_dh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just called my dealer for my first 10 hour service and they wanted $420.00. A marine mechanic near work wants $225.00, which is a bit easier to swallow. However, through all the posts I've seen, it doesn't appear to be too difficult a task so I just bought the oil change kit and am waiting for it to be delivered.

DogDad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just finished doing mine.... When adding grease I did all the math to calculate how many pumps it would take to add an exact amount of grease as per the manual. The thing is the calculated amount was 26 pumps but the actual was different and actually less! I'd say calculate what you think you need and then slowly add half that amount or even a third of that amount and then remove the grease gun fitting and relieve any pressure that may be in the fitting. I used an ink pen tube to depress the fitting. Checking at the halfway mark of 13 pumps nothing came out so I added another 7 pumps and checked. Still nothing so I added the final 7 and not only did about two squirts worth (sounds dirty) come out but it pushed a smidge of the factory grease through the front of the bearing!

After some searching I found this to be quite common. I reached out to a couple of the people that had it happen and they have had no ill effects from this but with all the threads talking about separating the seal from the bearing it initially made me sick to my stomach. After discovering that this is not unusual I spoke to my local Yamaha service team and they said the factory grease fill is inconsistent. They too have had the same thing happen when filling and they don't do any calculations. Standard practice is 15-20 pumps with a standard run of the mill grease gun and they never relieve pressure. If they get leakage they clean it up and move on.

DogDad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As for the oil change portion.... Yamaha say 10 hours which doesn't mean a hard stop at 10 but give or take a few hours. My service team didn't know why Yamaha recommends 10 hours while everyone else waits till 20 but they believe it is a safety measure that provides early detection of head gasket leaks or bearing failure. This way abnormalities are caught early. That being said they only look for water intrusion in the oil or some other obvious issue. They aren't inspecting the oil as you or I would as they are not as invested as we are. For fun I collected a sample of my "break in" oil and I'm going to send it to blackstone labs for analysis. It was darker than I expected but I ran mine just shy of 20 hours. I will post the results when I get them.

Because my oil looked fine and my engine is running like a top I didn't replace the oil filter or the spark plugs. I will do that in the spring as there is no reason to put in new plugs when I'm just gonna fog the engine and possibly foul the plugs in a month or two for winterization.
IMG_1146[1].JPG

Last edited:

DogDad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here are the blackstone lab results from my 10 hour oil change that actually took place at 18 hours. I asked Blackstone if there was a way to determine if Yamaha had put break-in oil in the motor and that is why the reply is worded the way it is.
FWIW I have been getting blackstone lab reports on all of my toys for a number of years .... so I have experience with a variety of built motors, race engines and even factory fresh like this. Sometimes the news is not so wonderful but this one is full of win!
BLACKSTONE.jpg

Last edited:

pete4180

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What type/brand of grease should I use for the bearing, where to buy it?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The Yamaha Marine Grade A grease is hard to find but it looks like this. You can use any Aluminum Complex marine grade grease. I used this...

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't know. I was happy to have the dealer do it. I waited on it and they tightened all the bolts and checked steering and linkages as well. I would not have gone over the boat as thoroughly. They also put my registration numbers on for free.