• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

10 hr service how much grease for the bearing housing

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I doubt it, but you may have unseated the seal that your waterproofing by lubing, or over pressurized the housing. That is what happens if you add too much grease to the housing generally. If it is just a tad, it will just leak out as you have seen, and I don't think that will hurt anything as long as the grease doesn't push the seal out from the housing. Look at that seal, and see if it the edges are proud from the edge of the housing. I bet your ok.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
And looking at your picture, it looks fine.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They say if you don't have a picture it didn't happen. Just ditch the picture. ;) I did the same thing a few years ago with no ill effects.

spwns105

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello, fellow boaters!

I just purchased my 2016 242 LS about a month ago, and I'm gearing up for the 10 hour maint. I've tried searching multiple threads throughout a couple different forums, but couldn't find what I was looking for. Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm having issues locating my fitting for the bearing housing. I'm not the greatest when it comes to mechanical stuff (computer guy) so I was really hoping someone with a similar boat\engine compartment could post a picture. I've seen some pics of different years\models but when I look in my engine compartment, it looks a hell of a lot more cramped than some of the pics.

Any advice that can be given to reaching the back of my engines? I'm a relatively small guy 5'11, 145, so I can get in to a tight area if needed.

Again, sorry for the dead horse, and thanks in advance. I've lurked for a couple weeks now, and you all seem like a great community!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello, fellow boaters!

I just purchased my 2016 242 LS about a month ago, and I'm gearing up for the 10 hour maint. I've tried searching multiple threads throughout a couple different forums, but couldn't find what I was looking for. Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm having issues locating my fitting for the bearing housing. I'm not the greatest when it comes to mechanical stuff (computer guy) so I was really hoping someone with a similar boat\engine compartment could post a picture. I've seen some pics of different years\models but when I look in my engine compartment, it looks a hell of a lot more cramped than some of the pics.

Any advice that can be given to reaching the back of my engines? I'm a relatively small guy 5'11, 145, so I can get in to a tight area if needed.

Again, sorry for the dead horse, and thanks in advance. I've lurked for a couple weeks now, and you all seem like a great community!
I don't have any pics but if the grease zerk fitting/nipple is located at the pump area when you open your hatch. This area is at the back and bottom behind the engine. look down there and you should see a black rubber cap over the zerk fitting on each of your pumps.

welcome to the forum!

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm having issues locating my fitting for the bearing housing. I'm not the greatest when it comes to mechanical stuff (computer guy) so I was really hoping someone with a similar boat\engine compartment could post a picture. I've seen some pics of different years\models but when I look in my engine compartment, it looks a hell of a lot more cramped than some of the pics.

Here are some posts with some pics that might help, these appear to be the 1.8L engines as well. It's a ways back there, but if you look around you will see it. To get to mine I usually have to almost lay down on the top of the engine to keep both hands/arms free to attach the grease gun to the fitting and pump it. Hope these help.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/blew-out-intermediate-seal.10607/#post-181596
https://jetboaters.net/media/bearing-grease.1341/

Also welcome aboard!

spwns105

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the inputs. Yeah, I actually checked both of those threads out before I posted. Just looks like there's more room than what I have. I'll take your advice with laying on the motor to check things out. I was just worried about laying on things, or knocking anything loose, electrical wise.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the inputs. Yeah, I actually checked both of those threads out before I posted. Just looks like there's more room than what I have. I'll take your advice with laying on the motor to check things out. I was just worried about laying on things, or knocking anything loose, electrical wise.
Yes, I would be careful. I use a large piece of a memory foam pad, leftover from another project, make myself a protective cradle.
The plastic covers of the 1.8l engines are held down with two bolts that use deep grommets under the cover. The cover does not break if you lean on it. But, if you lean on the cover too hard, you will hear the grommets break... Not a huge deal, but I had it happen it my old boat and it is annoying, as you need to replace them.
upload_2016-8-24_10-14-47.png

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Due to my post surgery I still can't comfortably lay on things so I had to literally put my right foot in the engine bay area next to the exhaust and then get into the position to pump the gun carefully. Not sure if everyone else's gun does the same but it was rather firm to squeeze the handle on mine so I just went real slow until I felt it get pretty hard to squeeze and stopped. My gun called for 29.5 pumps but I stopped at 25 when it got hard as I didn't want to mess anything up with the seal.

I'll be sure to check mine when I take it out of the lake this weekend to se if anything oozes out. @RiverRat did yours just start oozing out after you drove it for a bit or right after you pumped your grease in?

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
It wasn't until after I ran it for a bit. Checked after I got off the lake and saw it. No more has come out since, probably 10 or so times out since, and haven't noticed any performance or water intrusion issues.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
and then get into the position to pump the gun carefully. Not sure if everyone else's gun does the same but it was rather firm to squeeze the handle on mine so I just went real slow until I felt it get pretty hard to squeeze and stopped. My gun called for 29.5 pumps but I stopped at 25 when it got hard as I didn't want to mess anything up with the seal
I'm so glad you managed to stop and did not break the seal... ;) LMFAO.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself, rolling on the floor.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What causes it to ooze out of the housing? Forces on the shaft as you go through water?

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@swatski you know how hard it is to stop once you start... lol.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes, I would be careful. I use a large piece of a memory foam pad, leftover from another project, make myself a protective cradle.
The plastic covers of the 1.8l engines are held down with two bolts that use deep grommets under the cover. The cover does not break if you lean on it. But, if you lean on the cover too hard, you will hear the grommets break... Not a huge deal, but I had it happen it my old boat and it is annoying, as you need to replace them.
View attachment 44944
you have two now....smh....lol

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
After having read over this more times than I could count, I decided I'd tackle the task as well. My dealer suggested any marine grade grease would work plenty fine, but they agreed it was very vague on how much & exactly what is the exact purpose. So I'll conclude that if some say it's to prevent water intrusion & some for bearing lube, I'll agree with both.

As most on here have the boats, my post will mostly be useful for Waverunner owners.

Getting to the fitting on a 2017 FX HO Cruiser is nothing short of a adventure. Mine didn't come with the hose attached as some have mentioned on some models of boats. I'll also add that removing the center support/seat bracket isn't probably necessary, it did help.

I removed 3 of the 4 bolts that hold down the majority of the wiring connections & fuse box that is directly behind engine. It allowed me to pivot the box over to the right side & made access a breeze. These bolts are Loc-Tite with red, so best to put them back that way.

If the hose to your grease gun is long enough, you may not have any problems. The hose I had wasn't long enough & coupler wouldn't attach on fitting because of the length of coupler & how close the fitting is to the bottom side of electrical box. Maybe this will help some. I know I gathered alot from previous post.

Attachments

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I know this conversation ended a few years ago but thought I would keep it alive a bit. I just did the 10 hour bearing housing maintenance and had to figure out how much grease equaled one ounce. I first had to realize that one ounce was not referring to weight, but rather volume. (So, some of the earlier posts threw me off a bit when they were saying you could just put in a third of a 9 0z tube if you needed to put in 3 ounces.) I knew that 30 milliliters equaled one ounce. So I took a 5 ML measuring spoon and filled it with grease with my pump gun. It took 5 pumps to fill it. So, I needed a little over 30 pumps to get my 1.11 ounces. There is one previous post that is saying his one pump equaled 1 CC. Yamaha states 33 CC's are needed, so I feel like I did the right thing. We'll see. Thanks everyone for this discussion. It helped me through this one.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well, I appreciate all the likes and awards I received from my previous post. However, I apparently don't deserve them. I screwed up and could use some insight. I followed the 10 hour service requirements for a new engine. (My port side engine is new) However, after the fact, it dawned on me that the bearing housing might not be part of that replacement. Turns out it wasn't so I really overfilled the housing. Took it out on the water and it's obviously burning grease. The tech says I'll need to replace sooner or late and it's an expensive ordeal but to go ahead and ride it out and hope for the best. Any thoughts out there on that particular advice or other advice that could give me direction? Thanks!