• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

'14 242 exhaust mani water leak cold - Vid included

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Boat just went into the water. Ran fine last year. Boat yard/general (no jet boat knowledge) boat service took it out a little, said starboard engine wouldn't go over 3K and felt hot. When I came to look at it it sounds like crap, battery seemed fine (had been charged overnight). Pee hole water flow was great, but then saw this water coming from manifold. You can see clearly some minimal water from the outside, but from the side closer to engine it seems like a lot more water is coming out.

I'm guessing manifold, but any other ideas? Just finding out about Island Racing, I'm in lower CT so might need to bring to them (if they do service on these) or if theres someone else local would love some help. Curious if the motors got to come out to do the gasket too.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
No expert here but With the combination of the low RPMs and that much water, this may not be good. Do you see any cracks in the motor or manifold where the larger amount of water is coming out?

Hoping someone with more expertise chimes in. We have plenty here on the forum that will know for sure.

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just got it off, need to do some more research see what’s what.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Well done. Keep us posted. Got some build up in the cooling channels, but Don't see anything major in the pic yet.

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Here’s a vid looming closer.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wow. That one area looks like it melted the outside of the wire and hose. Other than that did not notice anything. Can you narrow the video down to where the water was leaking heavy?

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m with you, I thought there was a water cooling line from the diagrams I saw behind mani, but turned out to be an oil line. The 3 bolts on bottom section of top mani were pretty loose. I’m starting to suspect that was part of this. That said, there was some serious heat to melt this much. I’m a little upset how this all went down without me there. If i had been there I would have shut the engine off right away. No clue how long he ran it like that. Nice guy, and don’t want to point fingers but when an alarm is going off nonstop and you don’t read the screen saying engine or realize it’s in a limp mode....

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wow. Well the loose bolts are probably your issue on the leaking. Not sure but could be the issue with low RPMs? Because exhaust filling the engine compartment would cause the engine to suffocate. But don't quote me on all that. Not my expertise. Have just read it on the forum here at some point Haha. But I'd tighten those bolts and give it another go and see what happens

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So almost got the engine back up and running just waiting on a few last minute parts.

Basically what seems to have happened is the tstat was totally corroded and didn’t open, so the block wasn’t getting cooled water and melted a ton is stuff. Luckily plugs looked fine, didn’t do a compression test yet but almost certain she’ll be up and running in a few days.

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Got engine back together today, runs sounds decent, but getting a check engine with error 24 cam position sensor coming on sporadically and of course still in limp mode.

Going to swap sensors tomorrow see if it’s just the sensor before taking off the head. Any other ideas? Also leaving batter disconnected overnight, maybe the code will clear. Suggestion from a yamaha service mechanic was based off how corroded y tstat was the water ports in the head could be really corroded and the head should be removed and cleaned.

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Swapped sensors and up and running! So just need to get the new sensors, unfortunately no one had one within 150 miles :(.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Well that was good and bad news I guess. At least you have it figured out. :winkingthumbsup"

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Oh I’ve been up and running for over a week now, sorry didn’t update!

Spent 16hrs working, working on boat (mods), and out having fun today!

Attachments