• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

190 FSH in San Francisco Bay

Alan Crawford

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Morning Folks,

I’m looking for some insight here. I was just notified that I will be moving from the Panama City / Destin area to San Francisco this coming May. I have only ever fished fresh water lakes in Texas and the bays / nearshore and offshore on the Florida Panhandle.

Does anyone on this site run a 190 FSH in San Francisco?

For anyone with expierence in that water, how well equipped is the 190 with respect to fishing in the bay and nearshore? Naturally, choosing your weather is going to be a relatively common answer, but more times than not I can get out the pass in Florida? Can I expect the same in the Pacific? Could I use the boat more than not?

Any insight or expierence would be appreciated!

Thanks Much!

Rich NW Jboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I live further north in the Seattle area and use mine to salmon fish out in the Puget Sound. I've also been 20 miles out in the San Juan Islands in pretty choppy conditions and never have felt I was in an unsafe situation. I don't know if this helps you out but I'm perfectly happy with my choice of boats for the pacific northwest, we also have some nice inland lakes that are perfect for the FSH.

I'm also a transplanted Texan in the land of Birkenstock's

Safe Travels

Cheers

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Haven’t seen @Ronnie around in awhile. But, isn’t that his stomping grounds? Perhaps he will respond.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Hello Alan,

I lived in the Bay Area for 10 years and your choice of a boat really depends on which part of the Bay you're going to be motoring in. I attached a map and the area within the boundaries of the red line can get real "squirrely". The winds get very strong and the waves pick up quickly. Additionally, the fog will roll in fast over the headlands and suddenly you can't see where you are. There's a reason they put a prison on Alcatraz.

If you look at what people mostly use in the Bay, it's enclosed or partially enclosed fishing boats and sail boats. Sausalito/Tiburon is the area you'd be able to use a 190FSH. But again, the waves offshore are very similar to what you'll find all the way into the Bay around Alcatraz to Angel Island. Now, if you're going to be north of the Richmond Bridge, you're not going to see that kind of action. I've actually never seen recreational boating south of the Bay Bridge. It's shallow, mucky water and not much to do, no real places to dock, gas up, etc. It's a shame it's such a huge body of water that goes mainly unused except for commercial boating and salt manufacturing.
Frankly, as much as I love my 190 here in Florida, I'd put that at the bottom of the list for Bay Area. I would choose a cruiser with outboards and an enclosed wheelhouse like a cuddy. As I said, it's mostly those, sail boats, and foul-weather gear.

Once you get there, let us know what you decide!

Attachments