• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha FSH 190 too many motor hours?

Landlocked

Reaction score
Boat Make
Bayliner
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Not new to boating but new to inboard jet drive motors. I am in the market for a used CC fishing/family boat and found the Yamaha 190 FSH. It has everything I am looking for and is within my budget. However the engine has 600 hours on it. I know nothing about inboard jet drive motors. Any insight into life expectancy or major problems I would be inheriting on an engine with that many hours?

Jet Boat Okie

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a 210 with two TR1s, they just passed 100 and so far have been flawless.

This is my first time owning one so I can’t speak to future mechanical issues, but I think you came to the right forum.

I can tell you the boat is amazing combo of fishing and family fun. If I had to get a new boat today, would go right back with the same one.

Best of luck!!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Not new to boating but new to inboard jet drive motors. I am in the market for a used CC fishing/family boat and found the Yamaha 190 FSH. It has everything I am looking for and is within my budget. However the engine has 600 hours on it. I know nothing about inboard jet drive motors. Any insight into life expectancy or major problems I would be inheriting on an engine with that many hours?
I’ll echo @Jet Boat Okie comments, I’ve got roughly 250 hours on my 210 FSH and it has been 99.9% flawless, had the engines take a bit to start a couple of times after running it hard and stopping for a couple hours, but that was a while back and now I just make sure to let them cool down before shutting them off, no other problem. The boat is economic to operate the 190 even more so with its reported 4.5 mpg.

Ive seen reports of these engines in PWC’s going 4000 hours on rental craft. here’s some suggestions and questions.

-Get a compression test done.
-Have a Yamaha dealer run a diagnostic code check on the ECU. This will tell you if there has been over heating events and how many?
-Are there any maint records?
-Have the engines valves been checked / adjusted?
-Was the boat used in fresh or Salt water?
-How does the boat look overall? Especially the engine bay.
-Look at the wiring, engine bay, head compartment etc… is everything tied up nicely, corrosion etc.
-Does everything work? Live well pump, live well aerator, connext screen, engine blowers etc…
-How do the batteries look? Corrosion? All connections look good?
-Look up inside the pump tunnel and have a look at the wear ring and impeller.
-How does the anode look that is attached to the jet pump?
-Has the jet pump bearings been serviced? If so when / hours?
-Has the intermediate bearing been greased / lubed per the maint schedule?
-How does the engine oil look / smell?
!If it was me and I was getting serious about the purchase I’d have the owner remove and reinstall each spark plug to assure one is not stuck in the head. !
-Has the engine anode been replaced? If not have a mechanic pull it and see how it looks.
-Im not sure if these trailers come with brakes or not, if they do check the brake fluid in the reservoir, check the condition of the brake calipers, rotors and pads.
-Sea trial is an imperative. Take it for at least a half hour cruise, a hour is better, stop and let it sit for 15 mins or so and see if it restarts easily. Take a good volt meter and check the voltage and verify the reading against the reading on the connext screen, does the little red light on the DVSR come on when the start battery reaches 13.2 volts, does the voltage on the house battery then start coming up indicating it is charging.

If you want take a bunch of pictures of the boat and post them here and the members will comment.

This is also a great thread to read.

I know that’s a lot of stuff to read, do, and ask about but it will hopefully eliminate any issues for you.