• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH 190 occasional hard start

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hello my 2017 FSH 190 630 hours has an occasional hard start I can’t figure it out.. It happens sometimes during cold start but mostly after running for a while then sitting in a fishing spot for an hour or two then it takes 2-3 key cranks to start.. maybe ignition switch or lanyard sensor? Is anyone else experiencing this and what was the fix? Here’s everything I’ve done so far.

new ECM (isolated issue I was having so had to get a new one)

new OEM fuel injectors

new wire harness

new starter

new fuel pump

new block heat sensor

new batteries/connections

cleaned/checked grounds

clean out hatch bypass mod

compression test checks out

new spark plugs

thank you all for the tips in advance.

IMG_1867.jpeg

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do you shut down your engine right away after a long run?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Id recommend to idle for a bit until the water in the pee hole is just luke warm, not hot to the touch.
This is correct. These engines had to be shut down hot for some reason.

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the tips I’ll give that a try for sure

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Any advice or tips on the occasional cold hard start? I’m thinking maybe throttlebody? It has a ribbon delete the last owner did not sure if this would be an issue too..

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do you have a shop manual? If so, did you go through all of the electrical checks for the fuel and ignition system ? There are numerous checks to be made on devices such as the electric throttle valve, ignition output voltage, the output from the potentiometer where the throttle cable lands, cam position sensor, crank position sensor etc.. Any of these devices or sensors that are out of spec can cause issues.

It is possible the safety lanyard switch could be a problem, make a jumper and bypass this switch to verify it is not the problem. Also use an ohm meter and check the resistance across the switch.

How does the boat run otherwise? Once started, will it re start right away ?

When you say it takes 2-3 key cranks to start, what exactly do you mean? How long do you crank / engage the starter on each key crank?

Have you pulled apart ALL of the multi pin plugs associated with the engine and checked for corrosion, cleaned, and put di electric grease on them?

Looks like you’ve thrown a lot of parts at this problem but I don’t see coil packs listed, I don’t know if there is an OHM test for those.

Did you ever get the valve lash checked as I suggested in one of your other threads? I’m pretty sure there is a valve lash check at 200 hours, so your boat should had three of those by now.

As Mycroft Holmes said to his brother Sherlock, “Remember what Father said Shirley, when everything plausible has been eliminated, whatever remains, however implausible has to be the answer“.