• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1999 LS2000 will not start

Joe Judkins

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Just purchased a used 1999 LS2000 jet boat that a friend had had for many years. Two years ago one of the engines lost power, and was told by his marina, that the one engine had lost compression. It set all this year at the marina, until I picked it up this week. I put a new battery into the boat, but both engine starters spin, but will not engage the engine to crank. The boat and engine bay look clean, but there were maybe 3" of oily/water in the engine bay before I drained the water out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Joe

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For any internal composition engine to fire you need 3 things:
1) fuel
2) spark
3) compression
You've identified there is no compression. Is that for all cylinders? In any event that is your first concern. Getting compression restored. If it's all cylinders with no compression it could be a broken timing chain. If only 1 cylinder it may be just a valve. In any event it is a time/money equasion.

Joe Judkins

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
But I can't get the starter to engage with the flywheel, so there is no way that I can check each cylinder's compression. I was told that the one engine ran fine, so why can't get that engine to start? I did check with my grandson and he tells me that there was probably 8" of water in the engine compartment when we first looked. Could the water cause both starters to fail? The starter solenoids spins, but does not engage the engine?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't have any starter or bendix experience since my always worked. I suspect that is where your problem lies and you could start by replacing the starter especially since it sounds like you had water in the bay. The starter is at the bottom/underside of the engine

One other idea before you rip into the starter would be the impeller housing. If this boat sat, the housing around the impeller can swell and bind the impeller. This can restrict the starter from being able to turn over the engine. You could check by pulling the spark plugs and then trying to turn the impeller shaft by hand from the assembly where it mates up to the engine (inside the engine bay). IF this is binding, I would fix that first.

You will need to check compression since it sounds like you have some real issues. The good news is that parts are inexpensive so long as you can do the labor.

mss135

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You need to make sure you have a very strong battery (good charge) and make sure you have a solid ground cable that is bolted to the block and solid on the negative terminal.

mss135

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
To test the ground, use a jumper cable from the negative terminal to a clean spot on the block