• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

1st Night Recovery (Solo)

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, I got stuck in a jam Sunday night. My buddy got roped into helping his daughter out and before you know it it got late and dark. So it was left up to me to recover the boat, on my own.

I drove the truck over to the ramp and had my wife follow and bring me back to the campsite. I then proceeded to get the boat ready. It was dark now so needed to dig the light pole out for the stern lighting. Recovered the anchors, stowed the tube, etc. Got moving at no wake speed out and around the bend. By now the moon was up and provided a little light. Made it to the dock and tied off. Backed trailer down the center of the ramp. Got back on boat and loaded it on trailer. I usually disconnect the trailer wiring harness when dipping the trailer but left it connected to let the trailer lights provide a guide. The recovery ended up being ok but at the time I thought I was going to need to change my shorts. Anyone else go through this?
NightRecovery.jpg

I've done similar. Looks like it's mostly calm and you have dock access on both sides of the ramp. I would have pulled up to the dock and then walked the boat on with ropes. That way when you realize that you're not on your bunks because you can't see your trailer it's no big deal to fix. Use a dock pole, fenders and 2 ropes (one bow and one aft) and you can pretty much drag your boat up onto the trailer.

Also, get a spot light. I use this one and it's bright as anything else I've used: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00266EF5C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have vee fee guides.. Makes this a much easier situation... And then there is what @justason has.. Frickin underwater light show trailer..

X2 on the vee vee guides. I also have docking lights...rarely useful, but HUGE help in this situation.

Nice work keeping a steady hand and getting it done!

I have vee fee guides.. Makes this a much easier situation... And then there is what @justason has.. Frickin underwater light show trailer..
Advanced awesome !! sometimes we wait till night to load it !!! I need to program them to ripple like a runway :winkingthumbsup"

Another helpful mod for trailer boaters are boat buckles (permanently mounted self retracting stern tie down straps. No more hunting for or adjusting them. Just hook them through the tie down loops and tighten them down by pulling the tab while you are at the back of the boat (e.g. Inspecting it, wiping it down, pulling the drain plug, putting the cover on, etc.). They can let you get on the road in a hurry if you want.

Another helpful mod for trailer boaters are boat buckles (permanently mounted self retracting stern tie down straps. No more hunting for or adjusting them. Just hook them through the tie down loops and tighten them down by pulling the tab while you are at the back of the boat (e.g. Inspecting it, wiping it down, pulling the drain plug, putting the cover on, etc.). They can let you get on the road in a hurry if you want.

I purchased the boat buckles this year on the advice of this forum and love them. After an incident where my brother-in-law had one of the original straps separate and screwing around for 20 minutes to get it put back together correctly, I decided that I had enough. Not only are they faster and easier to use, but they rarely loosen up the way the original straps did. This is a no-brainer for anyone who regularly trailers their boat.

I agree, boat buckles are awesome! Only issue I have with them is when the inner spring breaks. The "Boat Buckle" brand seems to do this less than the Fulton brand.

Good job.

I've done that many times. In fact, most people who know me say I've been boating in the dark a long time now. :confused:

That's why I mounted a bazillion watts of light on the tower:
Needles July 07 002.jpg

Night recoveries are normal to us. And solo recovery just takes longer but it is the same. I have the Smith guide posts with LED lights on top of them. Between those lights and the truck lights, it is all I need. Even with wind and waves, between the lights and the guides I drive it right on, power up to the winch, run up and hook the winch/safety cable and tighten, then go power back and kill them, pull the truck out, jump out and attach the boat buckles, jump in and fire it back up and rev the water out, kill them, kill the batteries, remove the light mast and stow, remove all the coolers etc., pull the clean out plugs, pull the transom drain plug, go wipe her down...and head home. Backing down the 200' driveway that winds through the trees...well, that is where the challenge is! Prep is the key, just get it ready before you do it!

Advanced awesome !! sometimes we wait till night to load it !!! I need to program them to ripple like a runway :winkingthumbsup"
I was kinda hoping you would see this and add a picture to blow everyone's mind.

got a link to @justason ALS (approach light system) pics?

I'll take a pic this weekend of the trailer in the water ....basically its like the image below.....except ow its green lights....they show up like a champ, even in NC murky green waters....
upload_2014-9-3_13-10-59.png

That looks like a UFO alien landing site! Awesome!

I went back and reviewed that thread. I am guessing the deck lights are "always on"? If so, why not install a switched leg to control those, use the color you want, and enjoy! I have seen them done and I don't want to fool with legal issues, but I want what I want, just like anyone. So being able to control them is the key to me. I want them around the lake and when launching/recovering. I would like to have them embedded in the bunks in a few places for alignment, but so far, the guides and the clearance lights all provide edge guidance as well as tongue illumination from the truck.

I just put the truck lights on which lights up the trailer tail lights underwater. I also have extra backup lamps which work really well under water. I have considered putting an LED string up the middle of the trailer but havent done anything yet. Cam.

Well you guys just put me to shame. I guess its a lot more common with this group then I thought. I tell you...the most relaxed I felt was actually lining her up. Mucho concentration for that. It may have been one of my better recoveries...probably due to being able to put the trailer in the center of the ramp and not so close to the dock. And the calm water. I hadn't really planned to do this often but now that I got it out of the way I know I shouldn't have a problem in the future. I agree more lights, vee vee guides and spotlight would certainly make it less nerve racking.
This is on my list of mods. It would make it much easier.

D
I went back and reviewed that thread. I am guessing the deck lights are "always on"? If so, why not install a switched leg to control those, use the color you want, and enjoy! I have seen them done and I don't want to fool with legal issues, but I want what I want, just like anyone. So being able to control them is the key to me. I want them around the lake and when launching/recovering. I would like to have them embedded in the bunks in a few places for alignment, but so far, the guides and the clearance lights all provide edge guidance as well as tongue illumination from the truck.
Deck lights work with trailer running lights. I did it for road bling as well as seeing the trailer at night better (i curb it less). The fact it works for loading it at night is an added perk!

Back