• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1st world problems!

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you're just using it to tow the boat a couple miles, I would opt for the cheapest thing you can get your hands on that'll tow it. My truck is my daily so I spent the cash, but if I was just using it to tow once a week, pfft, a "junker" it is. It ain't gotta be pretty, just work and then sit that thing on the side of the house.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@PJ73 that is the plan. Can’t get much cheaper than $1,500 for a tow vehicle.

@Scottintexas we we’re out near the fishing barge and sneaky Pete’s, guess we missed you.

Random question. So the water was pretty choppy today. Had random white caps.

How much impact can the hull take without causing damage? Going about 35-40 mph the impacts seemed extremely hard and loud.

Makes me think I will need some bigger balls for a Bimini trip!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The hull can take much more than you can, I promise you that. Just keep your windshield open ;) Many guys here can attest to that

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@PJ73 that is the plan. Can’t get much cheaper than $1,500 for a tow vehicle.

@Scottintexas we we’re out near the fishing barge and sneaky Pete’s, guess we missed you.

Random question. So the water was pretty choppy today. Had random white caps.

How much impact can the hull take without causing damage? Going about 35-40 mph the impacts seemed extremely hard and loud.

Makes me think I will need some bigger balls for a Bimini trip!
From the vids I've seen, you really need to plan for the Bimini run. it looked like 2-3 ft waves weren't a huge issue, but (Not sure if he's on this site) Rob from "Robs DIY Yamaha boat" on youtube put out a video of his bimini run on an AR240 and it was brutal, he broke both seats and posts from the impacts on rough water. I would think that you wouldn't want to do 35-40 mph with whitecaps.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Keep the windshield open? Is that so stuff can flex?

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From the vids I've seen, you really need to plan for the Bimini run. it looked like 2-3 ft waves weren't a huge issue, but (Not sure if he's on this site) Rob from "Robs DIY Yamaha boat" on youtube put out a video of his bimini run on an AR240 and it was brutal, he broke both seats and posts from the impacts on rough water. I would think that you wouldn't want to do 35-40 mph with whitecaps.

Yes. We stopped that after a short while and went to 20-25. It was much more bearable. Lol.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Keep the windshield open? Is that so stuff can flex?
We've had multiple instances on Bimini runs where the hull would flex enough the windshield would fall in, past it's stop - which then makes it very tricky to re-open.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@B0at1n I would not worry about growing your balls, but rather getting adult diapers for the crossing.

The 2017 had 5 to 6 footers ( that is what old timers said, I was bussy soiling my pants).

The hull flexes to a point were your engines shut down ( triggers the safety switch on the clean out bay). Amar had his windshield explode on his face for this very reason.

I do not want to disappoint you but the white cap at Lewisville are nothing. I did multiple Bimini prep trips at Ray Roberts so to prepare. Most of them on 2 footers and doing 40+mph. The idea that speed will make up for higher wave heigh. It does not. The ocean ( especially when Poseidon is moody) is whole different ballgame.

I would be careful in terms of “ your Hull can take more than you can take” . It is generally true but to what point it is okay to take damage on the boat and say that the hull can take it ..... very few boats made it to bimini without some sort of damage. In 2017 the boat on the left of my slip had a collapsed tower and the boat on my right had a cracked hull that required him to tow it back to Florida.

Robs DYI Yamaha boat is on the forum, I forget his handle right now but it is something with a Robert on it. @Drift Away knows the handle.

There was a good discussion about that video on the forum in August of 2017, so you can probably find it. Now given rob has his uniform as background when he made his video, it prevents me from making any comments about the content and what happened.

Bottom line @B0at1n we all make it to bimini one way or another, and so will you if you choose to go. You might end up totaling your boat or get injured during the attempt, but that is the reality to make an off shore trip on a class D boat.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Pfft! I aint scared of no Marine!!! Although, he appeared to outrank me... so, damn. IMG_6050.JPG I consider all veterans my brothers and sisters. I just responded to one of his vids on youtube.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@B0at1n I would not worry about growing your balls, but rather getting adult diapers for the crossing.

The 2017 had 5 to 6 footers ( that is what old timers said, I was bussy soiling my pants).

The hull flexes to a point were your engines shut down ( triggers the safety switch on the clean out bay). Amar had his windshield explode on his face for this very reason.

I do not want to disappoint you but the white cap at Lewisville are nothing. I did multiple Bimini prep trips at Ray Roberts so to prepare. Most of them on 2 footers and doing 40+mph. The idea that speed will make up for higher wave heigh. It does not. The ocean ( especially when Poseidon is moody) is whole different ballgame.

I would be careful in terms of “ your Hull can take more than you can take” . It is generally true but to what point it is okay to take damage on the boat and say that the hull can take it ..... very few boats made it to bimini without some sort of damage. In 2017 the boat on the left of my slip had a collapsed tower and the boat on my right had a cracked hull that required him to tow it back to Florida.

Robs DYI Yamaha boat is on the forum, I forget his handle right now but it is something with a Robert on it. @Drift Away knows the handle.

There was a good discussion about that video on the forum in August of 2017, so you can probably find it. Now given rob has his uniform as background when he made his video, it prevents me from making any comments about the content and what happened.

Bottom line @B0at1n we all make it to bimini one way or another, and so will you if you choose to go. You might end up totaling your boat or get injured during the attempt, but that is the reality to make an off shore trip on a class D boat.
Yes dipers for sure. Thats the only time i was truly worried inwas about to break my SX240. and it robs handel on here is @wallacerb

wallacerb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You would be correct
@PJ73 I retired as a Chief Warrant Officer 4. If I remember right the Air Force never adopted that particular rank structure.. my wife was also a Marine and got out as a Sgt. As you said, we are brother and sisters and rank is left behind with fond memories... life is now all about make boat stereos louder and prevent them from breaking while going to Bimini...

Rob Wallace
@wallacerb

wallacerb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Why does the uniform being displayed stop you from Speaking your mind? That is irrelevant, if my content is wrong or you just disagree with it then say so. I am not offended easily. Putting things on here is for sharing and having an open discussion on leassons learned and or sharing knowledge.

Rob Wallace
@wallacerb

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Why does the uniform being displayed stop you from Speaking your mind? That is irrelevant, if my content is wrong or you just disagree with it then say so. I am not offended easily. Putting things on here is for sharing and having an open discussion on leassons learned and or sharing knowledge.

Rob Wallace
@wallacerb
"This is what extremely grieves us, that a man who never fought,
Should contrive our fees to pilfer, on who for his native land
Never to this day had oar, or lance, or blister in his hand”

Aristophanes, Wasps, 422 B.C.

Because your service and respect for the uniform is more important to me than offering opinions over the internet. Although, I very much appreciate the open forum idea, anything negative (or positive ) will reflect on it as well.

BTW, thank you for picking up Lakeboys 3 girls and the boyfriend; he was very grateful.

wallacerb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, I appreciate all that however, my time in the Marine Corps was riddled with both respectful and disrespectful comments and discussions, that's what its all about. Never once, weather, militarily or civilian have I ever diswaded anyone from offering opinions, ideas or criticisms. That's what the uniform stands for.

With that being said, if you have something to add (not over the internet) then please feel free to offer via email. wallacerb@yahoo.com...

Thanks

Rob

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Another option is a TDI Audi or VW great performance and fuel economy. Her last third car before the current third car was an Audi Q5 tdi and that thing was bad ass. It hauled ass and had room for the family. I think if you buy a 4K Suburban you guys will quickly grow tired of it. A 4k Suburban will likely have high mileage and be older and likely not entice the wife to drive it as a secondary kid hauler well at least not my wife. That said our wives are opposites I put my wife behind the wheel of a 2019 Ford F250 Platinum Diesel the other day at the dealership as I wanted to trade tow vehicles and she wasn't having it at all. While her current Lincoln Navigator L was only slightly smaller she said she felt like it was to big which made little sense as we pulled them together and the were pretty close on the eye test the F250 was just taller. I was so disappointed as I really wanted to move to a F250.
My wife said I can get an f250 for my next truck... that means I have 75k-100k miles in my f150 to grow company large enough to afford that payment..

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@PJ73 I retired as a Chief Warrant Officer 4. If I remember right the Air Force never adopted that particular rank structure.. my wife was also a Marine and got out as a Sgt. As you said, we are brother and sisters and rank is left behind with fond memories... life is now all about make boat stereos louder and prevent them from breaking while going to Bimini...

Rob Wallace
@wallacerb
Air Force never did. I did cross work and train with all the branches in my job and time in. I still, to this day can't recall ever seeing the mythical, Yeti-like, CWO in person. I still think they're the stuff of fairy tales and pixie dust. lol... Sir. I do love your vids, i'm the (212x) in your comments.

wallacerb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Air Force never did. I did cross work and train with all the branches in my job and time in. I still, to this day can't recall ever seeing the mythical, Yeti-like, CWO in person. I still think they're the stuff of fairy tales and pixie dust. lol... Sir. I do love your vids, i'm the (212x) in your comments.
@PJ73 Mythical, beligerant, elusive is correct.. we had a knack for not caring what the regular officers had to say or thought about us. It was always about making life easier for the enlisted Marines.. I was a SSgt (E6) when I was selected for Warrant Officer.. best thing I ever did..

Rob Wallace
@wallacerb