• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

20' sx190 charging system

KMFF

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can anyone point me in the right direction with diagnosing my charging system? Last Friday I noticed my battery voltage was not where it should be. My display was reading anywhere from 12.2 -11.7v. I've made an appointment with the dealer to have it looked at but it's going to be a couple weeks and we have a family vacation planned for the end of the month. Even though it's under warranty I wouldnt mind doing the work myself so it does not effect our plans.

I have added a second battery a couple months ago and both batteries are in good shape. I charged the batteries yesterday for the hell of it and did not fix anything. Of course the main battery took a little charging since we ran on it for a while.

Does anyone know the correct way to test the voltage rectifier and the stator to determine whats the problem?

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
When you say on your display is that on your console or using a multimeter? Any accessories running? If those voltages are taken with the engine not running I don't think you are too far off, I keep my battery on a tender and with the engine off I get a 12.2 reading, when the engine is running it will go up to 14.2 with no accessories running. I would use a multimeter right at the batteries and see if the two jive. Then, if I was still concerned I would hook the hose up turn the engine on at idle and see what the voltages are displaying. If still concerned, take the batteries out go to an autozone, oreilly's, etc have them put on the test bench. Might save you a trip to the dealer. Good luck!

KMFF

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The readings are off the console. The voltage will read with in a tenth or two whether the engine is off or running. At no point does it reach 14v like normal

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Any accessories running?

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don’t know if this will help, but wanted to mention that on my 2019 AR195 the voltage reported by Connext is always 0.3-0.5 volts LESS than the voltage reported by my RideSteady when the engine is shut off. The RideSteady unit matches pretty closely to a reading at the battery.

I believe the reason is that any other items on the same supply line will cause Connext to report a lower voltage. For example it is not uncommon for Connext to report 12.2 and RideSteady to say 12.6.

One simple option for you would be to get one of those voltage meters that plugs into the 12v outlet and use that to quickly see what the battery voltage is. Or even one that attaches onto the battery itself, although that’s harder to see without opening the rear seat.

SamN44

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don’t know if this will help, but wanted to mention that on my 2019 AR195 the voltage reported by Connext is always 0.3-0.5 volts LESS than the voltage reported by my RideSteady when the engine is shut off. The RideSteady unit matches pretty closely to a reading at the battery.
My experience with our 2020 SX 190 mirrors gallobg's. On the Connext display, full charge, it only reads 12.4 or so which is about 50% charge. If I use an actual multimeter to the battery, it reads 12.8 -- fully charged. The display is extremely inaccurate.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My experience with our 2020 SX 190 mirrors gallobg's. On the Connext display, full charge, it only reads 12.4 or so which is about 50% charge. If I use an actual multimeter to the battery, it reads 12.8 -- fully charged. The display is extremely inaccurate.
Maybe a software bug? Mine reads pretty close and it'll show 12.7v and confirmed with a digital multi-meter it shows 12.72v at the terminals. When on the charger and full it shows 14.4v and my meter shows 14.44v.

KMFF

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My display reads within .1v to the battery's actual voltage.

After digging around I found how to test the stator and rectifier. Apparently you can only test one side of the rectifier so with that said if the battery is good and the stator tests out then usually it's the rectifier. All 3 phases of the stator were all charging at 22v. As I was pulling the rectifier out I found that it is leaking oil through the pins and the case. Easy enough so I tried to order a new one, they are on backorder for about a month and a half. I'm pretty upset that my 3-4 month old boat is having issues and then have to wait that long for parts. I called a number of places try to locate something that will get me by and everyone has the same story. I did find one and is supposed to be here tomorrow. I'm praying it's the right one!

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@KMFF - did you have any luck with remedying your issue?

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are known connext voltage reading issues. There are fixes as well. Search for connext voltage fix and DVSR mod.