• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2001 Tango engine swap

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Hey everybody. I bought a 2001 Tango knowing it had engine problems and figured on rebuilding the motor. The boat is in fantastic condition other than the engine problem. Pulled the motor last night, the #6 cylinder threw a rod through the block. The low oil alarm wire was disconnected, small oil tank was bone dry, and the stator to regulator wire connector bundle was fried. No oil = no dice, so that mystery is solved, but not sure what happened on the wiring. Since the block is junk, rebuilding mine is off the bench, and used motors bring almost as much as a rebuilt, I’m looking at remanufactured. So far from my research it looks like my best option for a replacement motor is Blackbird out in PA. Does anyone have different input as to what my best options are? Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
@Blkrvrbart, Don't want to discourage you from any buying decisions you may make. I'm also not sure what is acceptable as to what a person may say about vendors on the net so, please message me before you spend hard earned cash for replacements. I have spent much time reading on various forums and I can point you to various resources on the net so you can make your own informed decision prior to spending your money.
I also don't know if it is acceptable to make recommendations on the forum for any particular individuals, but I can honestly say that I have no financial attachments to anyone or anything to gain by making a recommendation to any particular individual. It's just what I have decided I will do if it ever comes time to do a major replacement.
Perhaps other people here can also weigh in on what is and isn't acceptable here.
I don't want to be breaking any rules here.
But Please, Please, do contact me. I will gladly share what I have learned.
I have spent many hours reading forums. I am no jet boat expert, but I am passionate about all of my boats!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So far the only rule I am concerned about, ( and I'm not sure it's even written...) is to disclose any conflicts of interest. So if you recommend someone and you are paid for that recommendation or work for them, a disclosure on that relationship would be expected. Nobody will get offended if you recommend someone, or some approach, that's the whole point of the forum, to offer advice and suggestions.

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Thanks everybody. Not looking to beat anybody down or badmouth anywhere. Just looking for anybody’s experience since I can’t find a local shop. I’ll keep uploading info and pictures as I go, that way the next wrench monkey such as myself might have it a little easier. I like to keep it positive, even when it could be not so positive. These SportJets seem to be a decent setup if you take care of them. Just can’t unplug the low oil warning buzzer and keep going. 😊

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Hi Bart, don't know what you budget can stand but I got a new 240 from these guys a couple of seasons ago, no problems than or now. They show a reman 210 for 4330.85 total, steep but whatcha gonna do. Outboard PowerHeads

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Hi Bart, don't know what you budget can stand but I got a new 240 from these guys a couple of seasons ago, no problems than or now. They show a reman 210 for 4330.85 total, steep but whatcha gonna do. Outboard PowerHeads
Yup, I knew it was going to need an engine, just had hoped to get the core money back, but that ain’t happening.
Just went and looked at their site. Heck a brand new is only $400 more. Thanks for your input Bill!

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Thank you @Beachbummer for clearing that up for me.
I am not getting paid for anything or for any recommendations.
Not sure about mentioning other forums either, so I will refrain from that too.
From what I have read I had decided that if I ever needed a rebuild, my first choice would be Jay Smith in Texas.
He is the owner operator of JSRE. If I'm not mistaken, all he does are Merc 2.5's.
His web site is here:
He apparently worked for years at Mercury and as far as I can tell he seems to be a real straight shooter. He backs up his product 100%.
Although I haven't found the site @Bilmon recommended yet, I will def be looking at their offerings too.
Thank you for always sharing your knowledge, Bilmon. You are also a great resource to draw on. May even change my mind too, IDK i'm just a newbie to the jet boat scene.

There are also a lot of really good experienced builders scattered about the country.
Maryland and Tennesee come to mind as well. Can't remember the names of all of them but just be sure to do your due diligence before you decide is all I'm saying.

Blackbird really did catch my eye too when I first started looking. I think they really work hard to present a good public image.
If I was in a hurry for an engine I probably would have bought one from them. I'm sure they have their share of happy customers too. You'd have to in order to be in business as long as they have. That is all I am willing to say about that.

Anyway, I hope this post meets all of the criteria for PCness here but, if any Admins that want to edit my post moving forward, please feel free to do so.

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Thank you @Beachbummer for clearing that up for me.
I am not getting paid for anything or for any recommendations.
Not sure about mentioning other forums either, so I will refrain from that too.
From what I have read I had decided that if I ever needed a rebuild, my first choice would be Jay Smith in Texas.
He is the owner operator of JSRE. If I'm not mistaken, all he does are Merc 2.5's.
His web site is here:
He apparently worked for years at Mercury and as far as I can tell he seems to be a real straight shooter. He backs up his product 100%.
Although I haven't found the site @Bilmon recommended yet, I will def be looking at their offerings too.
Thank you for always sharing your knowledge, Bilmon. You are also a great resource to draw on. May even change my mind too, IDK i'm just a newbie to the jet boat scene.

There are also a lot of really good experienced builders scattered about the country.
Maryland and Tennesee come to mind as well. Can't remember the names of all of them but just be sure to do your due diligence before you decide is all I'm saying.

Blackbird really did catch my eye too when I first started looking. I think they really work hard to present a good public image.
If I was in a hurry for an engine I probably would have bought one from them. I'm sure they have their share of happy customers too. You'd have to in order to be in business as long as they have. That is all I am willing to say about that.

Anyway, I hope this post meets all of the criteria for PCness here but, if any Admins that want to edit my post moving forward, please feel free to do so.
Thanks for your input @Stomp10 I will keep looking for the right path to head down by following up and giving JSRE a call, and @Bilmon’s lead at Hinkle. There’s another in Kentucky worth calling, probably look them up too. Thanks again @Stomp10!

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
You are welcome @Blkrvrbart.
I was just looking at Jay's site again. I believe he needs a rebuildable core in order to work his magic so, In your case I don't know if he will be able to help you much.... :(

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Stomp, as @Beachbummer says you will have no problems sharing links and info here. I've been here since shortly after the forum started and I can say it's the friendliest place you will find, for having over 18000 members the lack of conflict I've see here is unbelievable, just a lot of jetboaters [and even a few non jets] willing to help. It's great to have a spot for the dwindling number of us Sugar Sand owners to go besides the small, but helpfull group on facebook

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
My last actual boat was a 1979 IMP Aztec 20’ 265hp. I skied behind that boat with the original owner’s sons, then dad bought it from him, then I bought it from dad. Two years ago I t was time to let go of such a big boat, but it was still in great shape. Just too much work to keep up for taking out three times a year. The Sugar Sand will be fine for a small group or if I just get the itch to get on the water I can manage it by myself, so it’ll see more time on the water. My last watercraft was a 2004 Seadoo GTX. It was easy to get on the water by myself, great for a few of us to be on for about three hours, but wasn’t too great for hauling grandkids after that long. This will be easier to relax in with the littles.
I’ll let y’all know when I get everything weighed out and start going back together. Talk to you all soon!

Attachments

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
@Blkrvrbart, Yours is in beautiful shape!
Mine is much the same in hull and deck design, but like I said earlier, "She ain't purdy to look at."
Our stories are quite similar too.
The Viking was my Dad's retirement boat, and I also bought it from him.
The Viking maintenance and size was getting to be too much for me too, and I figured this would be a great boat for the grands too.
My son will be taking over maintenance responsibilities for the Viking now. No hour meter on it but, best I can figure is somewhere between 175-250 and probably closer to the lower number.
It sat for the last 3 years cuz the steering cable froze up. No local marinas wanted to work on it. I finally got it replaced last summer after I worked out a tool that made it easy for me.
The Sugar Sand will be much easier for me to handle by myself.
I also am just loving the simplicity of the design and operation.

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
My last actual boat was a 1979 IMP Aztec 20’ 265hp. I skied behind that boat with the original owner’s sons, then dad bought it from him, then I bought it from dad. Two years ago I t was time to let go of such a big boat, but it was still in great shape. Just too much work to keep up for taking out three times a year. The Sugar Sand will be fine for a small group or if I just get the itch to get on the water I can manage it by myself, so it’ll see more time on the water. My last watercraft was a 2004 Seadoo GTX. It was easy to get on the water by myself, great for a few of us to be on for about three hours, but wasn’t too great for hauling grandkids after that long. This will be easier to relax in with the littles.
I’ll let y’all know when I get everything weighed out and start going back together. Talk to you all soon!
boat looks to be in good shape , same color scheme as my 03 Mirage, I also have a 2017 Tracker TXW 175 but the Mirage is my favorite of all the boats I've ever had , been boating all my life and I'm 73

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
@Bilmon I restored an ‘81 Bass Tracker II for my parents a couple years ago. It came out pretty nice. Replaced all the plywood with 1/8” aluminum plate, built the rear deck up. Took mom (in the hoodie) out once, didn’t catch a thing. 😆 That’s my wife and grandsons in the other picture. Next spring we’ll give that a whirl. They’re so much fun!

Attachments

Last edited:

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
@Blkrvrbart, Yours is in beautiful shape!
Mine is much the same in hull and deck design, but like I said earlier, "She ain't purdy to look at."
Our stories are quite similar too.
The Viking was my Dad's retirement boat, and I also bought it from him.
The Viking maintenance and size was getting to be too much for me too, and I figured this would be a great boat for the grands too.
My son will be taking over maintenance responsibilities for the Viking now. No hour meter on it but, best I can figure is somewhere between 175-250 and probably closer to the lower number.
It sat for the last 3 years cuz the steering cable froze up. No local marinas wanted to work on it. I finally got it replaced last summer after I worked out a tool that made it easy for me.
The Sugar Sand will be much easier for me to handle by myself.
I also am just loving the simplicity of the design and operation.
Steering and throttle cables are probably one of the worst things to deal with on a boat. There are so many manufacturers, different linkage setups, blah blah blah. Had a heck of a time with the ignition cutoff linkage on my IMP until I changed the cable. Took longer to figure out where to get it than it did to swap it out.
The deeper I get into this Sugar Sand the more I see I wasn’t told the whole story about what happened. Pulled the stator because the bottom two bolts were barely started. (Big 🚩) It was empty (zero lube), the linkage was half (donkeyed) back together, big rock gouge in the wear ring, nick on the stator. Sucked a rock and didn’t tell me. I guess not everyone plays by the same rules. I’d tell a guy myself, no shame in being truthful. I think I can smooth em out so they don’t cavitate. Have to come up with an impeller socket. Looks like you can hold the shaft with a big wrench. We have plenty of time before warm weather I reckon. Have a good weekend!

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Well, the plan is in motion. Ordered a long block from Marine Parts Warehouse in Kentucky (New, Remanufactured, and Used Outboard Parts and Accessories) and started disassembly last week. Every question asked, which were numerous, was answered very well by the representative on the phone, even explaining some aspects of the process I hadn’t considered. Since mine had thrown a rod, the core return is partial at best if they can use the crank. I’m being very cautious to not leave any shavings or particles behind as I go, carbs in place until last. The wiring harness, linkage, oil lines, and peripherals are common sense or well documented in the factory service manual I bought for $24. Even the stuff on the jet drive the previous owner had all discombobulated was easy enough to straighten out. So, when the long block comes I’ll finish disassembly, probably rebuild at least the reed valves, maybe the carbs, and have a Merc shop look it over and dial in the carbs. Looking forward to good weather. @Charlie Tuna @Stomp10 and @Bilmon I'll keep updates on here and take all the help y’all are willing to give. Thanks

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Congrats @Blkrvrbart ! I am happy for you!
You will have peace of mind come spring knowing you have good reliable equipment you can depend on.
Let us know how the drive components pan out for you too.

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Well, the plan is in motion. Ordered a long block from Marine Parts Warehouse in Kentucky (New, Remanufactured, and Used Outboard Parts and Accessories) and started disassembly last week. Every question asked, which were numerous, was answered very well by the representative on the phone, even explaining some aspects of the process I hadn’t considered. Since mine had thrown a rod, the core return is partial at best if they can use the crank. I’m being very cautious to not leave any shavings or particles behind as I go, carbs in place until last. The wiring harness, linkage, oil lines, and peripherals are common sense or well documented in the factory service manual I bought for $24. Even the stuff on the jet drive the previous owner had all discombobulated was easy enough to straighten out. So, when the long block comes I’ll finish disassembly, probably rebuild at least the reed valves, maybe the carbs, and have a Merc shop look it over and dial in the carbs. Looking forward to good weather. @Charlie Tuna @Stomp10 and @Bilmon I'll keep updates on here and take all the help y’all are willing to give. Thanks
@Blkrvrbart Thanks for sharing the link to MPW. I was browsing their site and surprised they have my motor in stock.
One question I have is the crankshaft spline question. If I recall correctly the outboard and jet drives have different splines on the crankshaft... They had your motor with the jet drive spline? If so I may have to jump on this one.
I'm still not real confident in the condition of my powerhead yet due to it's age and I have yet to get it in the water.
This is the first place I've found that has my engine in stock.... plus 10 available too. Wow

Last edited:

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
I ordered mine as a 2001 210 Sport Jet by my engine serial number and they are sending me the long block based on those specs. Reckon it would be smart to check the splines first, but can’t imagine that’s wrong. Their website is really clear, their remans come from I think OBR (outboard rebuilders) in Alabama whose site I looked up as well before ordering. I’ll keep y’all posted. Thanks.

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Well, the long block arrived, I’ve dismantled about 90% of the entire assembly, ordered parts, and am in a holding pattern until they show up. The disassembly was pretty straight forward. Cylinder 6 threw a rod, broke the skirt off the piston, puked half of it into the expansion chamber. The new long block had a different exhaust manifold on it, so I swapped them out. During that process, I could see the cylinder walls and piston skirts. Cylinder 2 was a few revolutions away from grenading, and # 4 was scuffed. The whole port bank was dry as a bone, no fuel even present. The starboard bank looks pristine. So as I’m surveying all this, one thing that will be replaced with new is the oil bleed lines. The manual explains how these work and it looks like a worthy $36 to replace these with new and test the check valves and fittings for correct flow and operation. The #6 rod wiped out the #6 reed valve block, so the carbs will have to come off the valve plate to remove it. Might as well get carb kits and rebuild them since they’ll be off. I plan to write down any mixture and idle screw settings and set them back to factory. The reed valves will all be replaced since they all have some gap. Anyone know what the best reeds are? More to follow, just waiting on parts for a while.31795CD4-53E4-4892-8992-95FCA9246211.jpeg49090F68-0C0A-49F5-B552-DC1567091210.jpeg