• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2004 Yamaha AR210 *Trying To Start Engines After Sitting For 3 Years*

MattC213

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good evening,

I'm looking for some advice before starting up my AR210 engines. Long story short, my uncle gave me this boat 3 summers ago. The cushions were ruined & I couldn't afford the upholstery so I had the boat winterized and stored. The boat has roughly 200-250 hours on it. I just had the upholstery done and have been buffering/power-washing the past few weeks. Now its time to try firing up the engines and this is the first jet boat I've owned and I can't find any youtube videos on an 2004 AR210.. I'm hesitant if I should try firing up the engines or take to a local dealership (in South Jersey) to have the engines tuned. I've charged the battery and the charge held. I know how to connect the hose to run water thru the boat once I turn each engine on. I'm working now to remove the little bit of gasoline in the tank and add fresh gas. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what-else I should be doing/concerned about prior to starting the engines? Any advice would greatly be appreciated. Also, if any additional info is needed please let me know. Thank you in advance!

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Change the oil and oil filter. Be ready to change the spark plugs. You may want to consider removing each spark plug and re-fogging each cylinder before you start it up.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good evening,

I'm looking for some advice before starting up my AR210 engines. Long story short, my uncle gave me this boat 3 summers ago. The cushions were ruined & I couldn't afford the upholstery so I had the boat winterized and stored. The boat has roughly 200-250 hours on it. I just had the upholstery done and have been buffering/power-washing the past few weeks. Now its time to try firing up the engines and this is the first jet boat I've owned and I can't find any youtube videos on an 2004 AR210.. I'm hesitant if I should try firing up the engines or take to a local dealership (in South Jersey) to have the engines tuned. I've charged the battery and the charge held. I know how to connect the hose to run water thru the boat once I turn each engine on. I'm working now to remove the little bit of gasoline in the tank and add fresh gas. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what-else I should be doing/concerned about prior to starting the engines? Any advice would greatly be appreciated. Also, if any additional info is needed please let me know. Thank you in advance!
Don't bother with dealer. It will run or not.
Your doing to right thing by siphoning old gas out. If gas has turned to varnish you could get injectors flow tested.
I would take throttle body off and make sure it operates freely and replace air filter too.

Change the oil and oil filter. Be ready to change the spark plugs. You may want to consider removing each spark plug and re-fogging each cylinder before you start it up.
I would let it sit over night overnight with fogging oil and then crank it over before putting in new plugs with fresh oil and new gas.

Make sure to lube cables or replace them. Tera flex makes replacement ones at 1/3 of price. My reverse bucket cable broke and left me in the middle of IC. Had to tie bucket up to make it make to dock.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Agree totally with fogging, gas, oil & oil filter change. Inspect air filters. If clean and no oil staining leave them. If they're dirty remove them while you attempt starting. You can replace them with new after you get it running. After fogging engines crank each engine with spark plugs out to coat cylinder walls with the fogging oil. Make sure you have the safety lanyard OUT to protect the ignition system during this process.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It’s a 2004 ar210. So no oil or air filters to change or injectors to worry about (It’s a two stroke)

Make sure the oil injection lines are in good shape. Replace the fuel filters and then I’d Pull the plugs and put a few drops of two stroke oil in each hole. And then add some new plugs and start it up.

You’ll probably want to rebuild the carbs sooner then later.

Last edited:

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Screenshot_20200624-085827_Chrome.jpg

MattC213

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi Everyone,
Thank you for all the input. I have the boat looking pretty and both engines sounding great. However, now the throttle is locked (seized up) and stuck in Neutral. I believe it’s the throttle cable. 1 question for y’all... Would I just need 1 throttle cable or would it be 2 since it’s a twin engine boat?

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There are two separate throttle cables. Are you sure it’s not something binding in the controls?

MattC213

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Push the black rubber button in the lever side, and try to move the lever again. If the lever moves softly, you know it's not the throttle cable but the reverse gate cable.

(Edit: FAIL of a suggestion. @the MfM pointed out my advice was wrong for this boat type. Thanks!)

Last edited:

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Push the black rubber button in the lever side, and try to move the lever again. If the lever moves softly, you know it's not the throttle cable but the reverse gate cable.
It’s a two stroke ar210. So it has the three lever controls.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
duh, my mistake. How tight is the cable? There is a locking mechanism I think If the big lever is not right on neutral the throttle levers get locked.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Honestly, I’m not positive... The throttle is locked up to the point If I press hard enough I’ll snap it. Is there something I should try before replacing throttle cable(s). Also, see below link/picture... this is what I purchased off Amazon, would I need 2 cables? Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Amazon.com: Yamaha Jet Boat Throttle Cable LS2000/XR1800/AR210/LX210 F0R-U7252-00-00 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005: Automotive

View attachment 127625
If one throttle is still working I wouldn’t replace both cables. But, yes there are two of those in the boat.

One of them could have rusted up. But I’d check the cable at both ends first to see how it looks. There could be something else causing it to bind. Based on how my throttle cables still look brand new I’d be surprised if the actual cable has failed. I’d sooner suspect something in the controls as they’ve been known to have more problems.

MattC213

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Guys, I’m sorry.. I meant to initially say the shifter.. both of the throttles & engines are working great.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Shifter stuck 99/100 the reverse gate cables are rusted shut. You can confirm by disconnecting the gates from the cable outside the boat at the linkage. If the lever is still stuck very likely the cable is toast. You can try to lubricate it and get it to move if you want to go boating *now* but you need to replace that cable to fix it right.

If you want to try your luck lubricating the cable put a clear hose around it after you disconnect it from the gates, put a hose clamp around the hose to keep it in place, then fill with motor oil, then put some air pressure with a small air compressor or bike tire pump, so it will push oil into the sleeve of the cable, and do your best to free it without breaking anything. If you are very lucky it will come free and work, but it will likely be a temporary fix. (might save the weekend still, and cheap to try...just don't break anything as you try to free it)

Last edited:

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well that changes things, I agree with @Beachbummer and the cables are probably rusted as they are exposed to water. And yes there are two separate cables that connect to the FNR control. I don’t think the ones you linked to are the right ones.

MattC213

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey Guys, does anyone have a repair manual for a 2004 AR210? Thanks in advance!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you can't find one, look at the GP1200r waverunner manuals for engine specs etc. The 1200r prior to fuel injection was the 155hp model same engine.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Here is the service manual for the ls2000. Same hull and engines as the ar210 minus the tower and bolt on swim platform.
Yamaha LST1200X1999 Service Manual (Page 2 of 278) | ManualsLib

There were incremental upgrades and some things like fuel valve locations changed but most of the technical stuff should be the same.

@biffdotorg The LS and lx/ar210 have the non power valve 1200’s. I think you have to go back to a ‘98 gp1200 to have the same engine and 155mm pump. I Could be wrong ;)