• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2005 AR230 ECU replacement and TPS??

RRaack

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, that's what I've been doing. Taking stuff out that looks like it needs to. Looks like the brackets are attached under the lower edge of the throttle body unit. Just a screw or two that I can't get to. Oh well, guess the entire thing must come out. Someone on another thread made it sound so simple...ribbons, sensor and the fuel rail slides right out... it just ain't so.

I have the PDF service manual and it isn't very much help... Just shows a complete tear down as far as I can tell.

RRaack

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Definitely. Good hot spark. Actually scared the crud outta me. Pulled all the plugs and leaned #4 plug to test for a spark. When I cranked it over a gush of fuel pumped from #4 plug hole right over the spark. Coulda been bad. Once the key is cranked, I'm getting constant voltage to the injector lead... And it stays with a constant voltage even when the key is off. Only killing the battery drops the voltage. i.e. a steady stream of fuel filling up the cylinder... Which explains the thinned and overfilled oil. Not to mention the fuel smell in the oil.

Just got an email from Carmo and they said they often have to replace more than one of the injector outputs and they install more reliable components. Said they had a customer recently specifically request that all the injector outputs be replaced/upgraded to prevent future breakdowns...for an additional price that is. UGH. Why wouldn't they just replace all 4 outputs in the beginning. Said they OFTEN have units return for additional repairs when a different output breaks. Well, it's the same output. No idea what the "upgrade" charge will be. I should be getting some credit for the headache of removing this darn computer that I siliconed closed for a repair that did not take.

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep, gotta pull it all. Much easier than you think. Same think happened to me, I replace the ECU with a brand new one and replace all the injectors with brand new ones, why take the chance?! And I drilled holes in the bottom of my ECU enclosure so when the water or moisture gets in, it has a place to go. I also put a high water alarm in. When I had my issue, the ECU enclosure was full of water. No place for it to go, except into the ECU.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yep, gotta pull it all. Much easier than you think. Same think happened to me, I replace the ECU with a brand new one and replace all the injectors with brand new ones, why take the chance?! And I drilled holes in the bottom of my ECU enclosure so when the water or moisture gets in, it has a place to go. I also put a high water alarm in. When I had my issue, the ECU enclosure was full of water. No place for it to go, except into the ECU.
Mine have not failed but reading this had me thinking to drill holes. Could it be left in place and drilled using a stop on the drill bit and if so best drilling location

RRaack

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
K... Injectors back and cleaned... One of them failed the leak test and was only flowing at 38%... Still need to reinstall. All flow matched and good now. Btw, the fuelinjectorman won't return emails or phone calls with questions tho.

As for the 2nd ECU repair. Carmo would not warranty it!!!! They told me that they replaced two of the injector outputs the first time and this time the other two went out. i.e. a different issue according to them.

My gripe is that when emailing them when it went down again, their tech emailed me that it was common for remaining outputs to fail after a repair! Why the heck wouldn't they tell me that or just replace all four while they were in there the first time? They "discounted" the second repair at $195... So that's about $560ish with shipping so far. I should have just bought a new one! They seem to do good work... Just not the most reasonable crew.

Scott griffith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I just used the injector man and had no problems with him emailing me back

RRaack

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
K... Hopefully this is the last update and closure to this nightmare... Installed the injectors and ECU last night and another oil change. Actually really easy if you remove the throttle body assembly. It is amazing!!!! It's like a new engine! That thing has never purred like that. And I thought the other side was running great. Not like this one! The throttle response is amazing! I highly recommend getting the injectors cleaned by fuelinjectorman.com!!!! Only $89 total shipped and insured for $400 just in case. Opposed to $500 for new injectors. I'm definitely pulling the other engine injectors to have them cleaned in the fall.

Just need to research in line fuel filters which they highly recommended. Anyone install them? Hopefully she'll be in the water Sunday... Even tho there's a 90 percent chance o rain!

RRaack

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oops... Replied twice and I don't know how to delete this one

Scott griffith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Glad to hear she is running good I had to send my ecu back this week I think one of the orther control modules is bad hoping they will cut me a deal they only replaced number four last time . And it's been less than a year but when I put my injectors back in i could tell a world of difference . And I sent both sets of mine at one time

rent2u

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last year I had an issue with my 2004 AR-230. Cylinder #2 injector wide open. I pulled the injectors, swapped #2 with #1 and still had a problem in #2. Replaced the ECU and everything fine. This year, Cylinder #3 and #4 doing same thing on the other engine. I swapped injector #1 and #2 with #3 and #4 but problem stayed in cylinder #3 and #4. Another bad ECU. Not a big job to pull the throttle body and fuel rail. TIP- put a clean cloth over the intake ports when you pull the throttle body. Dropping a bolt or washer down one of them would necessitate pulling the head.
I did learn that water in the ECU housing causes the problem. If I would have come across this when fixing the first motor I probably would not have had the problem in the second motor. I plan on drilling some holes in the housing to properly vent it. There is a place that repairs ECU's ECU Repair AR230 SR230 SX230 ECU SRT1000 Yamaha (regulatorrectifier.com) I must have tossed the ECU from the first engine or I would send it off to these guys. Now I have to make another trip to the lake and pull the bad ECU so that I can send it off.