• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2005 AR230 ECU replacement and TPS??

Wayne Rihn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi,

I had to replace an ECU on my 05 AR230. The ecu was holding the #4 injector wide open. If I swapped the ECU from the other side the motor would run perfect. I found a used replacement and installed into the boat. This starts hard and it runs real rough and will not go over 7,000rpm. Does anyone know if i need to resent the TPS or ECU for this motor? Can anyone tell me what is involved? The numbers on the ECU match and the person I purchased the ECU from said it was fine. Thanks for the help.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Someone just posted in the last 2 months the reason the ECU gets damaged. Bad injectors cause the ECU to go bad. You might want to get your injectors tested also.

Wayne Rihn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just had the injectors serviced and flow tested.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If I recall correctly the problem shows up in an ohm test. I will try to find this thread....

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
How many hours on the 2005 Ar230? How did you know it was holding the injector open? Thanks for sharing your experience.

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had the exact same issue a few years back on my 2005 AR230HO and unfortunately my engine ended up throwing a rod even after replacing the ecu with a brand new one. I ended up having the engine rebuilt and installed 4 new injectors and it threw another rod. It was under warranty so I sent it back for work. In the interim, I bought a used fxho and put that motor in my boat and it's been running perfect since. The old motor is being shipped back to me this week and it will go into the ski. Yes, they had the motor for a really long time, had to get a new case and rebuild the head as well.

I didn't have to reset anything on my ecu, just installed it and all worked as expected. The way I could tell I had an injector sticking open was I could smell fuel in my oil and it was pretty thin, guessing this is why it finally blew up. I verified which injector using the YDS software.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
This is a good argument for getting your oil analyzed at every change. They will tell you if there is high fuel in the oil. www.blackstone-labs.com

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
cybuch, How did you verify the injector? What test did you do with the YDS?

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Buckbuck, there is a stationary test in the YDS software and one of them is the injectors. You can hear it clicking as the test runs, one of mine would just stick on and not click off.

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
so, will the YDS test do the job of an ohm test -OR- do you need to do both to rule out a FAILING injector?
i say "failing" because i know the YDS will detect a "broken" injector. my question is will the YDS detect an injector that is on the road to failure: still functioning but over-taxing the ECU?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would do the simple ohm test to see if it's within specs. YDS will just show worky or no worky.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
so, will the YDS test do the job of an ohm test -OR- do you need to do both to rule out a FAILING injector?
i say "failing" because i know the YDS will detect a "broken" injector. my question is will the YDS detect an injector that is on the road to failure: still functioning but over-taxing the ECU?
But his issue was the ECM holding the injector open. The injector wasn't bad, right? The test at the injector would rule out the problem being the injectors fault though.

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
But his issue was the ECM holding the injector open. The injector wasn't bad, right? The test at the injector would rule out the problem being the injectors fault though.
okay, you're right. he said he recently had them flow tested ...assuming that means also ohm tested. i'm guessing they have to be pulled from the airbox to flow test, which looks to also be the case for ohm testing. if he ever comes back to the forum: @Wayne Rihn - can you verify they were ohm tested?

it's been mentioned, but i don't think it has been verified: a possible reason for the ECM failures could be a bad injector taxing the ECM into failure as well.
ohm check the injectors. an injector with low resistance or near shorted can tax the injector driver in the ecu and make it fail. it seems the common denominator is injector #2.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/2005-sx230ho-computer-issue.5921/

David D

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
@mdopp - watch / review this thread.

Wayne Rihn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had the fuel rail and throttle bodies lifted off to the side and the vale cover off the motor. I bumped the starter to line up the timing marks and as soon as the fuel pump turned on the #4 injector was stuck wide open. I did an Ohm test and all for injectors were the same. I thought maybe the injector was stuck open. I had them cleaned and flow tested. I put them back in and had the same problem. I then tested the connector and found out that I had a constant 12V on # 4. I then decided to swap ECU from the other side and that engine worked fine. To even confirm more, I then put the bad ECU in the other side and it did the same on that side. This also tells me the wiring is ok.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I had the fuel rail and throttle bodies lifted off to the side and the vale cover off the motor. I bumped the starter to line up the timing marks and as soon as the fuel pump turned on the #4 injector was stuck wide open. I did an Ohm test and all for injectors were the same. I thought maybe the injector was stuck open. I had them cleaned and flow tested. I put them back in and had the same problem. I then tested the connector and found out that I had a constant 12V on # 4. I then decided to swap ECU from the other side and that engine worked fine. To even confirm more, I then put the bad ECU in the other side and it did the same on that side. This also tells me the wiring is ok.
Great troubleshooting.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Great job Wayne Rihn.
Cybuch, I am trying to do the stationary test on the injectors now. But it appears that in order for my software to talk to the engine the engine must be running. I have tried to get it to talk offline but it says the stationary tests are unavailable. How do you get the YDS to do a stationary test with the engines not running?

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just give it a quick crank without starting the motor and leave the ignition on