• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2006-230HO ECU Part #

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow! You got me thinking about drain holes. This may be a build up from moist air over the years, you can find the same issue in landscape lights.

RRaack

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's exactly what I was thinking. One of the stainless grommets on the lower legs of the ECU was actually partially decayed away from sitting in water for years. All the contacts look dry and without corrosion but the bottom 1/2 or so of the ECU was definitely submerged. The only opening I can see is the tiny slit on one of the lower wire grommets surrounding one of the larger harnesses. It must be from constant hot/cold environment and just built up over time a single drop at a time. You can actually see the upper part of the lid where it looked like it was sweating. I figure a single tiny hole on the bottom definitely couldn't hurt and much better than the ECU floating in water. I plan on calling Yamaha to ask what they think. Or maybe just siliconing 100% all the way around. Definitely going to pull the other side this weekend as a preventative measure. Why is it more common in the port side? I've found several in forums.

RRaack

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

RRaack

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks much. I've heard great things about them. That's about what they quoted me. $75 for the testing and another $309 if repairable. If not a complete refund. Well, plus $18 for shipping which I'm assuming is bothe ways.

It's strange. Apparently www.Carmo.com has several sites... www.RegulatorRectifier and www.CDIDoctor.com are all apparently the same business. Sent mine thru the Regulatorrectifier site who has sent me everything with Carmo letterhead. Anyway, they received it last Wednesday and I've got my fingers crossed that it's repairable. I'll check with them later this week if I haven't heard anything. Also still need to pull the other side to make sure it's dry. Also need to call Yamaha about how water is getting in there and what to do to prevent it. Thinking siliconing it 100% might be best. I'll follow up if they tell me anything.

Scott griffith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
If they got it last week you should hear something any day now . I think I had mine back in about 2 weeks and yes they are all the same company let me know how it goes

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I sent mine to carmo in Chico CA. Got it back about three weeks later boxed within a box. The inner box showed that it came from Brussels or thereabouts. Unfortunately mine was not repairable. When I got it back it was clear that they drilled it (10 or so small holes in a line on the front cover), they patched the hoes with what seemed to be plasti dip. I got most of my money back as well but I'm not looking forward to buying a new ecu at $1,200.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Ronnie, do you have the address in Brussels? I wonder if it might make sense to deal directly with the repair facility.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sorry, I don't it was on the first box that that the broken unit was returned in but I threw that out.

RRaack

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Got the repaired ECU back today! Very relieved! RegulatorRectifiers in Chico CA (same as CarmoUSA) is great! Not sure why they have so many names. I don't think they would have had time to ship it overseas for repairs. I shipped it to them on March 21st. I think they took care of it in CA. They had a note inside to check the injector coil. I wasn't quite sure what they were talking about so I emailed them. The injectors seemed to be working fine just #4 was getting full time 12v. Anyway, still need to pull the other side and check for water and also call Yamaha to determine preventative measures for water getting in there vs a drain hole.

image.jpeg

RRaack

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Got a reply and they told me that more than likely a bad injector coil caused the ECU to fault. However, I had checked them before and thought they all read the same. Anyone know what resistance these things should read? If I remember correctly they were all right at 16.8 ohms... Just preparing for the double checking this evening. I really don't think the injectors were bad tho. Just don't want to go thru this again in the future all because of something else messing up the ECU. I still think it musta been the water in there but wanna be safe.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is this what your looking for?

upload_2016-4-8_10-46-29.png

RRaack

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Awesome! Exactly what I needed! Thanks much. Now thinking about it they may have tested at 11.8. Who knows. I'll test em all again. Is that from a Yamaha service manual? I need to invest in one of those.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's a cold spec. If it were me, I'd pull the suspect one out and a known good one and heat them up to at least 190 degrees and check resistance again. You could just run the boat but if that thing is getting crazy high resistance when it gets hot, it could damage the ECU again.

RRaack

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks. Didn't think about them changing when up to temp. I think I'll try that. Maybe put in a ziplock and a dip in some near boiling water and check again. May be going overboard, but I sure don't want to go thru this mess again and risk it not being repairable. Just got me scared when they told me to check the injectors and didn't think the water in there was a real issue.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Exactly. Pretty slim chance it'd be different if it ohms out good cold, but I wouldn't risk it based on the ECU cost!

RRaack

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for all he help guys! Hope this is the end of my worries since the wife has already commented on maybe selling...

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What is the cost of the injector? Maybe just replace them all and not worry for another 8 years!

RRaack

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
True. Gonna check on new prices. However, I saw a few used for $50ish on eBay. Guessing new will be pricey.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length