• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2006 sugar sand tango xtreme 240efi

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Mine has a heat sink looking thing on bottom these don’t? Mighta screeed myself lol
I think they changed the looks of them at times, I had a replacement one that looked different from the other 2 I've gotten. Old stock or after market or something but the connectors matched up and it worked fine

Firecat700rr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Well have to just give the ole college try when it comes. Connectors look same in pictures

Firecat700rr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Bilmon where did you find that other coil was a gen 1 coil? Guy I bought it from says all 240 efi’s use the same coil? I can confirm they are diff mine is a 5 prong gen 1 is only 4 prong. Local marina has one for $160 might have to bite the bullet and just buy one there to have boat for the weekend.

Firecat700rr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
coil fixed it just hit 58mph thanks for the help just one more dumb question can you run 87 octane in these boats?

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Bilmon where did you find that other coil was a gen 1 coil? Guy I bought it from says all 240 efi’s use the same coil? I can confirm they are diff mine is a 5 prong gen 1 is only 4 prong. Local marina has one for $160 might have to bite the bullet and just buy one there to have boat for the weekend.
I just used the parts lookup at Boats.net ,different part numbers for early and late serial numbers. 135 bucks there but if you just google the part number you can find them all over from 35 buck on up

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
coil fixed it just hit 58mph thanks for the help just one more dumb question can you run 87 octane in these boats?
Yes you can use 87, says so on label at my gas fill. I run 93 only because it is the only non ethynol around me. Sounds like your fixed. that is more the speed I would expect.

Firecat700rr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Thanks Bilmon I can get non ethanol here to it’s just not on the water only thing on the water here is 87 I was reading the manual on a 240 efi and it’s said 89 min so figured I’d just ask. Sounds like 87 if that’s all I can get would be nothing to sweat about. Yea you were spot on boat knocks on 55+ now pretty easy. You ever get into changing the fluids in the jet drive I was debating if I should look into doing that? Also why I’m thinking about it with the kids in the boat (or just me) at a certain odd ball speed just after plane out the boat what’s to bounce in the front till you speed up or slow down alil? Is that normal on these boats or could I just adjust the trim plate on the boat or something? Thanks again

Last edited:

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
87 is correct, the sticker on my boat mentions 89 for leaded gas if you can't get unleaded, can't remember the last time I saw any of that. porpoising seems to be common on them, my Mirage will do it too depending on weight distribution. You can tinker with the ride plate if it is extreme. Setting is really a compromise since you can't adjust trim while under way like most prop boats. Changing fluids is yearly maintenance you can find the procedure in the service manual, Walmart carries the gear lube. You will need a little less than 2 qt. to do front and rear, get a cheap pump, it makes it a lot easier.

Last edited:

Firecat700rr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Thanks again the procedure is in that manual you put a link for on first page?

Firecat700rr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Need your help again lol boats now alarming at full throttle like 3/4 is all right but go full solid alarm like it’s hot but doesn’t feel hot? (Sometimes it will beep at ldle)Let it idle alarm goes away? Then comes back under wot? Cylinders don’t feel hot gauge says 149?

Last edited:

Firecat700rr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Is there a impeller or something in the boat motor? Boat has been alarming when I first put in the water and start up but goes away after afew seconds and all is good. But now alarm comes back after 3/4 throttle it seems and slow down let it idle it goes away. Sorry also it also won’t rev out on top end when it alarms like it goes into limp mode or something?

Last edited:

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Is there a impeller or something in the boat motor? Boat has been alarming when I first put in the water and start up but goes away after afew seconds and all is good. But now alarm comes back after 3/4 throttle it seems and slow down let it idle it goes away
No impeller, it draws water though a cluster of small holes in the wear ring. If I remember correctly there are 5 holes about 1/8 inch or slightly larger. Kinda hard to spot but they are there, make sure they are clear. Not sure how warm of water you are in but I never see over about 110-112 degrees running in the 80-85 degree max water on the Mississippi in Northern IL. There is no thermostat on the 240 either.

Firecat700rr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Yea the gauge just slowly creeps to 149 and stays there? You turn boat off then back on like after afew seconds gauge starts at like 79 works it’s way up to 149 maybe it’s not working right? Not sure what’s going on run it like 5000 rpm it’s ok but try to give it full throttle alarms come back to idle let steady alarm go to a beep then it silences it’s self and you can drive away just no full throttle?

Firecat700rr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Maybe the gauges need a master reset I read that somewhere? SmartCraft gauge

Last edited:

Firecat700rr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Well got SmartCraft gauge figured out it was on some diff settings now it shows coolant temp about 120 and is showing what actual alarm is. It’s showing a flashing engine and oil symbol and is beeping 4 times. Since I messed with the smartcraft settings it goes into limp mode earlier can’t hardly give it any throttle. Oil is going down in the oil tank and the reservoir is full.Float in the lil tank stuck maybe?

Jaredbarn24

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Just curious .... would you guys recommend buying a 05 sugarsand tango extreme??? Very clean - 1st boat - looking ANY & ALL opinions

Firecat700rr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Mines is fun when up and running right had a bad coil when I bought it. Not the oil tank float is not working right but that’s common from what I read putting it in limp mode. When boats running right goes like a bat outta hell. Yours have a 240 efi? What price range is it in? Do you know the hrs on it?

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Well got SmartCraft gauge figured out it was on some diff settings now it shows coolant temp about 120 and is showing what actual alarm is. It’s showing a flashing engine and oil symbol and is beeping 4 times. Since I messed with the smartcraft settings it goes into limp mode earlier can’t hardly give it any throttle. Oil is going down in the oil tank and the reservoir is full.Float in the lil tank stuck maybe?
The float in the reserve tank is magnetic, they are known to have the magnet come unglued. The fix is to replace the tank as you can't get just the float as it is part of the tank, you can get the switch Screenshot (5)_LI.jpg

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Just curious .... would you guys recommend buying a 05 sugarsand tango extreme??? Very clean - 1st boat - looking ANY & ALL opinions
Welcome aboard, you found the best forum I've ever run across. I've had my Mirage since I bought it new in 03, my favorite boat I've had. My kid has a 07 240HP Tango, no engine trouble in the 4-5 years he has had it. Be aware that SugarSand went under in 08 and Mercury stopped Sportjet production last year, engine parts are no problem but boat specific parts are a treasure hunt. Can be hard to find a mechanic even willing to look at one, for me that's no problem but for some it can be. All that aside they are good boats and the Tango can be a little rocket, I would buy another SugarSand in a heartbeat. If you use facebook there is a very active group called Sugar Sand Boats , several of us are on both here and there.